Sign in to follow this  

Ripped intake boot?

How can I repair a ripped intake boot? It's ripped halfway and I'm going to order a new one if I'm unable to make this work. Would super glue work? I tried electrical tape but it didn't work(well)

How can I repair a ripped intake boot? It's ripped halfway and I'm going to order a new one if I'm unable to make this work. Would super glue work? I tried electrical tape but it didn't work(well)

They are cheap, get a new one because you will most likely suck dirt in through the crack and into the motor it goes no matter how good you seal it. At least for my bike they are like $25. A lot cheaper than a blown motor.

But if you must, i'd try some sort of silicone or epoxy, and gorilla tape the shit out of it after that. But seriously order a new boot.

They are cheap, get a new one because you will most likely suck dirt in through the crack and into the motor it goes no matter how good you seal it. At least for my bike they are like $25. A lot cheaper than a blown motor.

But if you must, i'd try some sort of silicone or epoxy, and gorilla tape the shit out of it after that. But seriously order a new boot.

I'm gonna right when I get the money. I just put about $250 into it and don't got the $35 to spend for one.

I'm gonna right when I get the money. I just put about $250 into it and don't got the $35 to spend for one.

Fair enough, I figured thats the case as it always is with me. The best thing you can do is, which is also the hardest, is in the meantime don't ride it! $35 ain't much go mow a few lawns on that day you planned on riding. :p

The hardest part for me is when parts are in the damn mail...Or in the case of my grenaded supermoto, its not coming back to life, ever.

Duct tape and glue the hell out of it and then order a new boot. You don't want dirt going INTO your engine....that usually ends bad. A few more bucks is worth it IMO. Getting dirt into carb/engine only leads to bigger problems.

Yes get a new boot. Until then, the auto store sells one minute gasket in a can. If you clean that boot well with whatever grease cutter you have, then Windex, you can put that black sticky one minute stuff on the crack to seal it. If you have an old inner tube, you can cut a piece to fit and glue it on with the 1 minute stuff. I sealed my TPS with it and it's gone though six months with no problems. Apply liberally.