Wood screws? Serious?

First time KTM owner here.

Upon removing the shrouds, I was surprised to find out that they are held by wood screws.

Has anyone experienced stripped threads on the tank?  What's the best and permanent solution?  Melt plastic welding rod into the holes?  Heli-coils with regular bolts?

I know sooner or later it's going to happen to mine.

Upon removing the shrouds, I was surprised to find out that they are held by wood screws.

Has anyone experienced stripped threads on the tank? What's the best and permanent solution? Melt plastic welding rod into the holes? Heli-coils with regular bolts?

Are you sure they are not the titanium screws that KTM uses?

Are you sure they are not the titanium screws that KTM uses?

They are titanium wood screws.

Wood screws

They are titanium wood screws.

Wood screws

Still not a wood screw. Close, but they are different. No need to overtighten and strip the threads. Enjoy your bike & welcome to the KTM family.

:banghead:

WOOD SCREWS???!!!  Not even CLOSE.

First off, use some epoxy or something similar, fill it in, and then drill it out SLOWLY.  You should be fine.

Wood screws with a rounded point and ti? interesting...... You stripping your screws from being too rough ,Priceless

I'd rather have KTM's solution then the Japanese solution with those horrible aluminum studs in the plastic, which fail CONSTANTLY! Every single Japanese bike I've worked on, has had at least ONE stud which was stripped out. KTM's solution is brilliant, just a hole and a screw with deep threads. Its smart, its CHEAP and it works WAY better then other solutions.

Stuff like this irritates me. MXA gripes about these too. I think these AND the qtr turn locking cap AND hex/torx fasteners are smart as hell. I've considered implementing these in my designs (design eng). It's cheaper to produce, and they don't strip/corrode out and spin in the plastic like typical threaded inserts. Also, ktm doesn't use these on parts that are routinely removed. There is no need to yank shrouds when pulling the tank, I don' know what the big deal is.

I'd rather have KTM's solution then the Japanese solution with those horrible aluminum studs in the plastic, which fail CONSTANTLY! Every single Japanese bike I've worked on, has had at least ONE stud which was stripped out. KTM's solution is brilliant, just a hole and a screw with deep threads. Its smart, its CHEAP and it works WAY better then other solutions.

Exactly.  

Why is an insert into plastic supposedly superior?   One of two things always happen 1) vibrates out, or 2) gets stripped or stuck, and you have a really messed up attachment point now .

The ONLY thing these screws share with a "wood screw" is that they are a coarse thread.   Wood screw have very shallow threads, wood screws have points, wood screws do not have very large flanges on them, and wood screws are not used on motorcycles!!!

Stuff like this irritates me. MXA gripes about these too. I think these AND the qtr turn locking cap AND hex/torx fasteners are smart as hell. I've considered implementing these in my designs (design eng). It's cheaper to produce, and they don't strip/corrode out and spin in the plastic like typical threaded inserts. Also, ktm doesn't use these on parts that are routinely removed. There is no need to yank shrouds when pulling the tank, I don' know what the big deal is.

I like the concept of the 1/4 turn, but is that not what popped off Dungey's bike at Southwick last year?   I know KTM had sealing issues with them too.   

I LOVE the hex outside (just like ALL OTHER BIKES) with the torx inside.   Torx is in my opinion THE BEST internal interface design.

What I DON'T like, is how my new subframe attaches by a T45 ONLY to the frame...I had to go out and buy torx wrenches for that one special size.   (I had up to T40)

Edited by DethWshBkr_

if it really bothers u...my stock tank had a crack in it, I bought a clear stock size Clarke tank, which has the metal studs and new larger bolt...also has a traditional thread on gas cap....

Has anyone experienced stripped threads on the tank?  What's the best and permanent solution?  Melt plastic welding rod into the holes?  Heli-coils with regular bolts?

"don't" judge a book by it's cover" and the same can be said about not judging those screws by they way they look.  Simply, they work! 

They don't back out and they are removed and installed in seconds, and no need to tighten them other than slightly snug.

Guys, I get it. No further discussion necessary.

Lol,,,sorry,,,,if you cant deal with the screws,,,,,, its funny