Sign in to follow this  

Put my mind at ease...New Cylinder Head

I have just put a new E head on my SM and should be firing it up tomorrow, i am a little worried tho as this is my first time setting the timing and the rest of it all.

My questions are as follows:

1:How do i check that oil is being pumped into the head, also should i pour oil over the cams before starting as the head is dry.

2.How do i check that coolant is flowing through the head as i have put the thermostat on the E head.

3:I put a triple layer athena standard head gasket on the E head, i have read that it runs with a single is this a problem at all.

4: Any recomendations or tips you can give .

Any help would be gratefull, as i am anxious .

1:How do i check that oil is being pumped into the head, --------10mm hex oil check plug above the cam chain tensioner

also should i pour oil over the cams before starting as the head is dry-------Yes

2.How do i check that coolant is flowing through the head as i have put the thermostat on the E head.--------You don't.  Don't worry about it

3:I put a triple layer athena standard head gasket on the E head, i have readicon1.png that it runs with a single is this a problem at all.--------THe base gasket can be 1 or 3 layers.  The head gasket is always 3 layers.

• Like 1

1:How do i check that oil is being pumped into the head, --------10mm hex oil check plug above the cam chain tensioner

also should i pour oil over the cams before starting as the head is dry-------Yes

2.How do i check that coolant is flowing through the head as i have put the thermostat on the E head.--------You don't.  Don't worry about it

3:I put a triple layer athena standard head gasket on the E head, i have readicon1.png that it runs with a single is this a problem at all.--------THe base gasket can be 1 or 3 layers.  The head gasket is always 3 layers.

thanks for your quick reply. I don't quite understand your answer for the 1st question tho, how exactley do i check it, and know that the pumps working ?

You remove the oil check plug. Start the motor and see if oil comes out the hole.  The DRZ runs very low oil pressure and there is a restrictor in the oil passage to the head so don't expect a big gush of oil.  You should see a dribble under a minute. Frankly, I would not worry about it.  Do you have any reason to think oil would not get to the head?  Why did you replace the head? What else did you do to the motor?

What did you use to lubricate parts at assembly?  Did you use any special assembly lube on the cam lobes and journals?

You remove the oil check plug. Start the motor and see if oil comes out the hole.  The DRZ runs very low oil pressure and there is a restrictor in the oil passage to the head so don't expect a big gush of oil.  You should see a dribble under a minute. Frankly, I would not worry about it.  Do you have any reason to think oil would not get to the head?  Why did you replace the head? What else did you do to the motor?

What did you use to lubricate parts at assembly?  Did you use any special assembly lube on the cam lobes and journals?

I didn't use any special lube on assembly of the cams, i thought they were pretty greasy when i bought them, also didn't think i'd have to. I have only changed the head and all of it's components as my previous one had blown, due to lack of oil. You are probably right about not worrying, but it cost me alot to replace and i don't want it to mess up soon after i have replaced it, i have no reason to suspect that the bike is not pumping anything, but the bike had burnt up so much oil on the previous head im trying to prevent any wrong doings this time. 

Like these guys said. But please dont take the bolt all the way out to check oil. Its pisses out. Trust me just crack it off a little and ul see oil coming out. Also i hope before you sit the cams in you oiled to seats and what they move on. Otherwise take it apart again and do that. Timing is easy after the first time good luck

I didn't use any special lube on assembly of the cams, i thought they were pretty greasy when i bought them, also didn't think i'd have to. I have only changed the head and all of it's components as my previous one had blown, due to lack of oil. You are probably right about not worrying, but it cost me alot to replace and i don't want it to mess up soon after i have replaced it, i have no reason to suspect that the bike is not pumping anything, but the bike had burnt up so much oil on the previous head im trying to prevent any wrong doings this time.

Assuming you corrected the lack of oil issue...

The cams need some oil on the lobes and bearing surface if it is to be started in a few days, a engine assembly lube is better if the engine is not to be started for a few weeks or more.

Assuming you corrected the lack of oil issue...

The cams need some oil on the lobes and bearing surface if it is to be started in a few days, a engine assembly lube is better if the engine is not to be started for a few weeks or more.

Thanks marquez, i just started her up about an hour ago, installed the mcct as well as the head and will be properly setting it tomorrow, but i seem to have a new ticking noise now.

It seems to only do it at idle, when i increase the revs i think it goes away not 100% tho as the db makes it hard to tell, may have to start a new thread tomorrow :) but i will be searching the forum as of now, seeing as there are plety of threads about enngine noise.

P.S i am aware the noise is not the cam chain

Actually, you will hear a bit more noise with a properly adjusted MCCT then you will an ACCT or over tightened MCCT.

Really? Everyone says "It's so much quieter than acct" .

As i said i haven't fully set the mcct but i did turn it until the cam chain stopped shaking so loose, this noise i hear only seems to be at idle, i hope it's just me being paranoid and all drz's sound like that, it's not offensive noise just enough that it bothers me.

Really? Everyone says "It's so much quieter than acct" .

As i said i haven't fully set the mcct but i did turn it until the cam chain stopped shaking so loose, this noise i hear only seems to be at idle, i hope it's just me being paranoid and all drz's sound like that, it's not offensive noise just enough that it bothers me.

Really..

The ACCT places a lot of tension against the chain.

The MCCT when adjusted perfectly will still make a bit of of clatter, though very light.....When they are adjusted more commonly either too tight.. (no noise, but will stretch the chain and then make noise) or a little too lose (perfectly fine)   they will make a bit of noise as well.