Sign in to follow this  

Cracks inside oil filter case?

I bought my 08 SM about a month ago and I've been having issue after undisclosed issue with it (missing parts, rash here and there, cracks, etc). Most recently, I've noticed a lot of heat coming from the engine. So, I emptied the oil and replaced the oil filter to find that the o-ring inside the oil filter case was missing. And of course, only about 1 liter of oil actually drained out (did not smell like gasoline). Also, I noticed that these cracks had formed inside the oil filter case. Am I &%$#@!ed? Or are these cracks not a big deal?

20130829_173341_zps7eb58e08.jpg

Yes, frame and crankcase drain. Even accidentally removed the banjo one too.

Edited by dave...

Yes, frame and crankcase drain. Even accidentally removed the banjo one too.

theres a screen on the other end of the one with the banjo. you could clean that out since its apart anyway...

thanks Noble...

Edited by jawknee21

There is a screen in the fitting screwed into the frame.  Not really a filter.  Worth a 1 time check on a new acquisition.

• Like 1

theres a filter on the other end of the one with the banjo. you could clean that out since its apart anyway...

I just saw that, thanks.

When I was riding the bike, I didn't notice any issues aside from the heat which I've noticed most recently maybe the last 2 or 3 days of short 8 mile one way commutes. I figured it was just the desert heat. And I thought I might as well change the oil and coolant, and sure enough, the oil level was low.

I've had the bike for about a month now, doing only about 300 miles on it so far. After cleaning the clogged pilot jet and replacing the missing small o-ring at the corner of the carb diaphragm cover, I've had issues where the bike would shut off when coming to a stop but I figured that was because the idle was set low or perhaps my carb wasn't jetted correctly. But other than that, I haven't noticed anything unusual.

I just saw that, thanks.

When I was riding the bike, I didn't notice any issues aside from the heat which I've noticed most recently maybe the last 2 or 3 days of short 8 mile one way commutes. I figured it was just the desert heat. And I thought I might as well change the oil and coolant, and sure enough, the oil level was low.

I've had the bike for about a month now, doing only about 300 miles on it so far. After cleaning the clogged pilot jet and replacing the missing small o-ring at the corner of the carb diaphragm cover, I've had issues where the bike would shut off when coming to a stop but I figured that was because the idle was set low or perhaps my carb wasn't jetted correctly. But other than that, I haven't noticed anything unusual.

hopefully you are lucky if its running to hot or little oil you wil starve the cams. But hopefully this isnt the case worth popping the valve cover off o would say :) my bike takes about 2 litre on a oil change.

You need to get into the habit of checking the dipstick, best to do it with the engine nicely warmed up - a good time to do this is after getting fuel, maybe every time until you get use to how much your bike uses.

Finding out you only have 1 litre of oil is something that should have been realised when no oil appeared on the dipstick and not when draining the oil.

Edited by DrzDick

You need to get into the habit of checking the dipstick, best to do it with the engine nicely warmed up - a good time to do this is after getting fuel, maybe every time until you get use to how much your bike uses.

Finding out you only have 1 litre of oil is something that should have been realised when no oil appeared on the dipstick and not when draining the oil.

You are right of course. I did check the oil, after it was warmed up, and after switching through the gears. I didn't get any reading on the dipstick. Wasn't sure if that was an error on my part so I decided to drain the oil. Should have done it sooner. Never again will I take the word of a CL seller. Hopefully this won't be an expensive lesson to learn.

DR-Zs are funny with the way oil works in the engine and frame. Owners manual suggests that you warm the bike up to operating temps making sure you do have oil in it to begin with. Shut it off and wait about 3 minutes then check the dip stick. The bike requires about 1900ml with filter change. Just shy of 2 US quarts. You can easily just put in the two quarts. That few ounces extra won't hurt.

Nice work figuring out the problems so far!

It'll be interesting if having the full amount of oil helps with the engine running hot.

The engine might not be running hot though, I mean what is normal in terms of radiated heated from the engine?

Before I started doing ADV type trips, which is more sort of dual sporting, my engine would never get really hot. I mainly ride in autumn/winter/spring, the air is normally cooler and it's often wet.

On my first ADV type trip (Croatia) I was surprised how hot the engine & gearbox were, even the frame oil tank was almost too hot to touch. This was mainly caused highway miles.

My bike is the UK E with no thermostat. If anything it normally over cools so I was surprised how hot she got.

Maybe yours isn't running hot?

I just saw that, thanks.

It is really hot right now in socal, my bike kept the fan on after turning it off for the first time ever a couple of days ago. My refrigerator is also struggling to make ice.