Sign in to follow this  

Noob 2t tips

So ill be getting my first 2t of any sort... what are some tips for a newbie :-P

So ill be getting my first 2t of any sort... what are some tips for a newbie :-P

get the suspension done...buy a bunch of premix oil, enjoy. Give it some WOT respect...even a 125 will feed you a dirt sandwich.
  • Like 2

Stand up and ride a gear taller than you think you should. Fan the clutch to launch the  thing out of corners or whatever.

Can anyone explain why? is it just because of the way 2t delivers power?

AFAIK, because in a higher gear the powerband is spread out over a larger range of speeds, so it's not as abrupt and easier to manage. Which also means you spend less energy hanging on to the bars so you don't get as tired.

But also it depends on the bike. A KTM 200 is tuned completely differently to, say, an RM250. And you can adjust springs and jetting and so on (I'm getting out of my depth here) to tune the engine characteristics to your preferences.

2T also needs less steering input (less rotating mass because no valves and valve train) and carry mass a bit lower in the chassis, so they're easier to manage in the slow stuff.

Height and weight? Also already have a bike in mind? I good running tsmoke is very simple to maintain if you're mechanical at all

I have an 04 220.  If it hasn't been jetted properly, there is a fair amount of power available for only the cost of a few jets.

Power delivery on a 220R is pretty smooth for a smoker.  First gear will be almost useless except for in the really nasty stuff.

Fun bike.

ride it like you stole it.

• Like 3

I agree with the "ride a gear higher" for starting out, once you get use to the bike, and know how it works, you probably won't do that so much. situational, but ye. 

KDX is a good woods bike! a 220 is better for your weight, but a 200 will be just as good. if you plan on getting into racing, you won't be as fast in the open areas, but you should be able to keep up in the tight wooded areas. a 200 ktm is a bit faster, and is just as easy.

guessing from your name, you do have riding experience ye?

Well, I am not sure if there is anymore to teach, 4 strokes you can tractor, and some 2 strokes you can tractor. get a good tranny oil, and don't constantly switch between premix oils. I like amsoil dominator, I use to use klotz, but I can get amsoil for a lot cheaper(through a dealer friend of mine)

do you plan on racing? or just fun riding.

Can anyone explain why? is it just because of the way 2t delivers power?

No.  A 4 stroke benefits from a taller gear.  Less stress on the tranny plus you get less tired muscling it plus the suspension is not under a heavy load so it works better plus to carry that next gear you have to be going faster which in turn makes you faster.  P.S. dont try to carry too tall a gear say 5th gear in a 4th gear sweeper 3rd gear in a hair pin etc as its slower but use those gears!  If you grab the next gear you can stay on the gas longer which means less coasting which also means going faster.