Sign in to follow this  

To Stand or not to stand? that is the question

So standing increases the height of the center of mass of the bike and rider because the rider has elevated his cg.

On the other hand, when the rider is standing, even though the cg has risen, the mass of the rider is concentrated down on the pegs which should lower the cg because most of the rider's weight is no longer on the seat.

Why is the rider/bike combo more stable when the rider is standing?

I have to stand more during my enduro races if nothing else to preserve my butt from the rock hard yamaha seat...

So standing increases the height of the center of mass of the bike and rider because the rider has elevated his cg.

On the other hand, when the rider is standing, even though the cg has risen, the mass of the rider is concentrated down on the pegs which should lower the cg because most of the rider's weight is no longer on the seat.

Why is the rider/bike combo more stable when the rider is standing?

I have to stand more during my enduro races if nothing else to preserve my butt from the rock hard yamaha seat...

because the mass of the rider stays centered as the bike moves around under you when you stand, the bike wants to pivot around the axis at the footpegs, when you sit you tend to move in the direction of the bike as it bounces you around. that's my take on it anyway. stand up on your parked bike and let your friend shake the bike as hard as they can, then do the same while you sit on it.

the mass of the rider is concentrated down on the pegs which should lower the cg because most of the rider's weight is no longer on the seat.

this is incorrect. load being applied through the pegs instead of the seat will not lower the center of mass. CoM is a function of the average displacement of mass, internal (normal?)  forces won't effect it.

It would be interesting to find out the relation between the CoM of the bike and the location of the pegs. I would think you would want the pegs close to the CoM of the bike as possible, so the bike would rotate around the pegs when not exposed to outside forces, but in practice IDK if that would be true.

Edited by Die_trying

Also because when you're standing you can keep your head still (as long as your arms and legs are bent to provide enough travel), which means your brain can be more accurate about predicting where you're about to be. And you feel more in control. Humans have a larger part of our brains dedicated to keeping our heads still when we run than any other large primate, so obviously it's a good thing to have your head move through a relatively smooth path while the rest of you is bouncing around.

I've found that up-down movements are relatively manageable, but forward-backward pitching (like when you get whoops wrong) leaves me feeling really out of control.

Also, steering happens both with the bars and by leaning the bike through the pegs. Standing forces you to do the latter, but you can also do it while sitting. This is really obvious when you're riding in sand because handlebar-steering makes the front want to tuck in, but peg-steering works well. Which is not the same as rear-wheel-steering. But I digress.

• Like 1

When standing up PROPERLY you legs are also acting as suspension for your body controlling your own movements rather than chasing the bikes weight transfer.   Much like djelle, my biggest thing as a newbie is controlling the forward pitch. I am slowly getting it drilled into my head that chopping the throttle is a bad thing  :naughty:

Standing doesn't make the bike and rider more stable. It unlocks the rider from the bike, which allows the bike to be LESS stable and react to the terrain faster, which in turn allows the rider to feel more stable as he doesn't have to get bounced and jounced as much as if he was locked to the bike.

That said, I sit unless I feel that there is a benefit to standing, or if I just want to work on stamina. If I'm not getting bucked around, I can control it just fine seated (still move around a lot on the seat).