Sign in to follow this  

01 XR250Y dies when giving it throttle

Hi all I have a 2001 XR250Y (Aussie Version) and I love this bike but in the last 3 weeks something funky has started to happen. I'll be driving along and I'll give it throttle and it acts like there is no fuel going to the carb, It just chokes out and dies, or it will bog really hard and then give a loud exhaust snap and take off. Sometimes it will happen 3 or 4 times in a day sometimes it won't happen at all. I'm stumped. I've checked the breather for the fuel tank and it is fine. I've drained the fuel 3 times seeing if there was a vacuum happening in the tank but fuel free flowed nicely. HELP ME PLEASE  :crazy:   :confused:

The next thing to do is to remove the carb and clean it. All its small passages, both jets and fuel screw passage.

• Like 1

The next thing to do is to remove the carb and clean it. All its small passages, both jets and fuel screw passage.

Welcome to the new world order of E10 Gas/Ethanol.   It screws up the carb pretty quickly.

Run Stabil if you won't use it for a while.   I run SeaFoam through my truck and bikes.   My friend stores his bikes in Baja, where they don't have E10 gasoline.   He would just put in any "Miracle Carb Cleaner" and burn a tank or two.   If the carb is really gummed up, you need to clean it.   I would just clean it and put in new pilot jet if really gummed up.  

See the FAQ for "the dreaded bog" thread.   Adjusting the fuel screw might be enough.

Edited by Kev_XR

my advice is don't even bother trying to clean the pilot --- just get the next larger size and you will save yourself some aggravation and the larger pilot will not clog as easy.

--- oh!  change your plug first.