Sign in to follow this  

Kick starter. 96 KX 250

Im tired of &%$#@!ing breaking the top of my foot kicking this thing through. I think this bike may just have the absolutely worse engineered kick lever of any bike Ive ever ridden. Is there a known fix, or shorter lever that fits on them that doesnt let your foot go under the peg? 

Ive tried disciplining myself and training for it, but the kickstarter itself is just engineered horribly.

Has anyone come up with another lever that will fit it and stop this?

Im bouts ta get dreative. Like machine a YZ starter to fit it . 

My fooot has been &%$#@!ed up for 2 months LOL. Its litterally the ONLY thing I do not LOVE about my bike, and its seriously starting to piss me off.

Edited by supergenius

I never really had a problem with the older 250 kickers.  I did see a trick once, for another bike, to make the kicker more stable.  Just put 1 or 2 cable clamps on the arm, gives you more grip.  I think when I kick my 250 my foot is angled out to miss the peg.

clamp2.jpg

If I wasn't wearing a boot, my foot would slip off, usually resulting in a gouged shin. Eventually I forced some rubber hose onto the kicker, to give some grip.

• Like 1

I don't hit my shin... Top of the arch of my foot. Anytime I kick it all the way through. Ive seen some guys use a 125 kick lever but havent figured out what year to match my shaft, but Im bout to like I said cut it and weld it back up.

Ive seen that trick too Bow, one guy I ride with gave me a couple of those, but its not that I slip off.  :o( I have a Tig welder, Im about to cut htis bitch and shorten it my damn self. I too angle out and kick under the arch of my foot but its messing up my boots.

I always ride i boots.

I don't hit my shin... Top of the arch of my foot. Anytime I kick it all the way through. Ive seen some guys use a 125 kick lever but havent figured out what year to match my shaft, but Im bout to like I said cut it and weld it back up.

Ive seen that trick too Bow, one guy I ride with gave me a couple of those, but its not that I slip off.   :o( I have a Tig welder, Im about to cut htis bitch and shorten it my damn self. I too angle out and kick under the arch of my foot but its messing up my boots.

I always ride i boots.

If you can TIG, then problem solved :thumbsup: My biggest problem is...I have short legs for someone 6'2". That's all behind me for a while...Was involved in a bike vs bike head-on. Man down! I mean, the bike is broke!

Ya you and I are verry similarly sized, and my torso is where most of my height comes from as well... I have to throw my leg over the green bean LOL. Yes I can TIG  :) 

I was looking at it, and I think the solution is a "collar (Knurled perhaps) welded to the end of the lever, to get my foot out a bit more. Theres room for .750-1.00 inches to be added which would help a lot.