need help- 2001 CR250R

Guys, I just picked up a ultra clean 01 CR with abot 12 hrs total on her! Original owner parked it in garage with tarp over it and forgot about it for 10 yrs! I am in Florida and would like some jetting help so I can have a good starting point and would also like to know if it is possible to upgrade the look to the later model side panels? would a subframe and airbox be needed? Also who is the go to guys for a revalve on the suspension to more woods type riding? pipe  1208489_696866917009586_1224959487_n.jpg

Edited by Glenn 141
  • Like 1

PC has jetting recommendations on their homepage for you. however, I think there is a typo where it should say S7 nozzle. Let me know if you can't figure it out.

To get the newer side panels on there you need an air cleaner, obviously side panels and a rear fender.. I do believe you have to mod the subframe a bit to make a new mount for the muffler too. There are tons of threads about it, do a search. I thought about doing it but realized it was not worth it.

If you want to update the look a bit you can change the ugly front fender to a 04-07 cr250 fender. It will bolt right on and look pretty good. If you have a zeta top clamp the newer front number plate will bolt right up, if not, you can make a small bracket for it to fit.

here is mine

DSC_0026.jpg

NICE BIKE!

since you just bought it, I would check to see how the carb is jetted first. The previous owner put some nice parts on the bike so I would think he would change the jetting. On the 2001, you dont have to remove the carb to check the jets....   Loosen the 2 boot clamps, pull the fuel line off the carb, then twist it so the top of the carb is point out towards the left side of the bike, remove the 2 phillips head bolts on the top of the carb and then you can pull the slide out to check what position the needle is in. Then, with the slide still out, you can twist the carb the other way so the bottom part is pointing towards you. Remove the large 17mm bolt and the phillips head bolt to remove the bowl. Then you can check the pilot and main jets.

I would go ride the bike through your trails to see how the suspenion behaves first and then soften the compression clickers down to see how you like it. If you are still not happy, you can talk to someone about revalving and/or softer springs.  This bike runs .45 springs factory. There are a couple of decent spring calculators out there to find the proper spring rates for your body weight.

Edited by Ilove2strokes

Factory springs in the US are .44s. And when you remove the little Phillips from the carb top, go th a good hardware store and get some allen head replacements. Get three or four. Then enjoy the extreme pleasure of throwing the Phillips as far as you can. Savor the moment.

Why does tt do stupid things? Am I the only one?

OP-check to see which carb you have on the bike. Factory was a Mikuni, but a very popular update is to put the Keihin on it. Maybe the previous owner already did that....???? We will need to know what carb you have, and what jets that carb has in it now, in order to give you recommendations on jetting.

I did my own re-valve on my suspension on my '01 CR250. The changes that I made work perfectly for my riding style. I'm a Hare Scramble racer who enjoys going fast in tight, technical, trails. I can't tell you what you need to do with your suspension to get it where you want/need it to be. If this is something you are going to do yourself, there are people on this forum that will guide you. If you want to pay someone to set it up for you, my advice would be to use someone local to you WHO HAS A GOOD REPUTATION. The reason I say pick someone local is because they *may* not get it right the first time and you may need to have them go over the suspension again to get it dialed in. If they are local this saves time & money on shipping. If you are really adventurous you can pay a suspension guy for a "shim stack", and any shims that you may need, and then make the changes yourself. In this manner, you will have support should things not work out like you wanted, and you can also make additional changes with their help to fine tune your set-up.

I LOVE how fresh & new your bike looks. If I could make 1 last recommendation.. Please don't try and change the bikes plastics to make it look newer! You have one of the most sought after CR250's ever produced. Keep it as the factory built it. 

If you really like the looks of the newer CR's-buy one of those and alternate which bike you ride & keep the hours low on both. Otherwise, if you like the looks of the newer CR's sell the 2001 and buy a newer bike.. You got a smoking deal on the 01 for $2000.. You could easily sell it for $2500+, and then buy you a later model CR and have money left over.. I would not do that though as I love the '01..

the above posts are spot on...I have an 01 as well and am running the 02 front fender for a lil more modern look,i ride mostly desert trails and some track,right now setting the bike up for the AZ winter offroad series,i have my suspension set dead soft on rebound and compression on both ends,pretty happy with the rear but the forks still feel a lil stiff in the beginning of the stroke if my budget permits im gonna send the forks off to the local tuner to have them fixed,i changed my own seals when they were leaking but was to scared to mess with the shim stacks...pm kirkes he might talk you threw it if you feel up to changing the stacks your self

First of all, don't mess with the plastics on that beautiful 01.  Second, as far as jetting, do a google search for Pro circuit jetting recommendations and they will get you jetted pretty good if it still has the stock 01 carb on it.  If you are woods riding it though, a Keihin PWK carb from the 00 cr250 would probably be a better mod then trying to jimmy rig newer plastics on it.  As far as suspension mods, finding a local guy is a great way to go since most of them will redo their revalve if you don't like what was done for free.  If you want to send it out Factory connection knows honda's really well. 

Story sounds a little weird, why is the frame polished, and why does it have acerbic plastics?

Still looks like a good deal but something doesn't add up to me. Do the grips look original? The flywheel cover doesn't have a single scratch on it, even after 10 hours it should have some scuffs.

Mud, I bought this from a personal friend. He was a tinkerer and purchased many of the add ons when the bike was new. he polished the frame cause he liked the look, nothing wrong with that! He put on the acerbic fork guards cause he liked red better than white. Its the real deal, not a cleaned up bike with a lot of hrs. Sorry you feel there is something wrong with it.

Mud, I bought this from a personal friend. He was a tinkerer and purchased many of the add ons when the bike was new. he polished the frame cause he liked the look, nothing wrong with that! He put on the acerbic fork guards cause he liked red better than white. Its the real deal, not a cleaned up bike with a lot of hrs. Sorry you feel there is something wrong with it.

Hey no worries man, I was just pointing it out, i've been burned a lot on bikes so I don't trust peoples stories anymore, it's always great to get a bike from somebody you know and trust.