Sign in to follow this  

What should I do?

Hey TT, i was wondering what I should do about my exc 200. I ordered the parts i needed to rebuild the top end but they messed up on the piston (gave me a 125 one). Is there anything at all i can do over the weekend on the engine because i really wana get it back together but parts won't e available for at least 6 days.

Got all your exhaust valve parts cleaned and as many of them back on the cylinder as possible?

And have you cleaned/greased your swingarm and steering stem bearings lately? Not part of the motor I know, but stuff that could be done while you wait. 

Edited by OLHILLBILLY

I don't think that is what he meant... He wants to ride now!

Sure, you can put it back together with the old piston and use the new gaskets.  You will need another top end gasket kit when the new piston shows up.

I always save a couple old pistons and random maintenance parts.  You never know when you might break it on a sat. and want to ride on sun.  If the top end ran it when it came out, it will run it for another ride or two until the new stuff comes in.

Trust me, I know it's not the preferred method but how bad do you want to ride?  In the past I have installed many used engine parts on a sat night just so we could ride or race on sun.

Yeah using the old piston would be fine for a ride, but you will be out the gasket kit.  The other maintenance items shouldn't have to be done because they should already be done!!!  For example I clean my airbox out thoroughly every ride.. your air filter is like the heart of your motor.  It can only take so much crap before it has a heart attack (top end explosion)

I need to clean my air filter, and my bike had been apart for 3 weeks now tryin to get parts and they messed up my piston order. Also im going to be replacing the bearings shortly. Carb im rejetting next year

Yeah using the old piston would be fine for a ride, but you will be out the gasket kit.  The other maintenance items shouldn't have to be done because they should already be done!!!  For example I clean my airbox out thoroughly every ride.. your air filter is like the heart of your motor.  It can only take so much crap before it has a heart attack (top end explosion)

lets not over react here shall we. why change the filter after one ride? are you a pro national sponsored by mitch payton? 5 hours i change the filter. if its VERY dirty before that time, then i chhange. it all depends on where/how yu ride.

lets not over react here shall we. why change the filter after one ride? are you a pro national sponsored by mitch payton? 5 hours i change the filter. if its VERY dirty before that time, then i chhange. it all depends on where/how yu ride.

Even after a few hours of riding, sometimes I can rub the inside of the air boot past the filter, and feel small sediments of debris.  Those small particles are more dangerous than anything else because they are so hard to trap in the filter.  The more clogged up your filter becomes, the more dirt gets by.

Motocross is different than offroad though, riding the woods I take home a lot of crap in the airbox you wouldn't imagine: small leaves, grass clippings, etc.  Motocross is a groomed, debris free track with just dust.  But even then dust isn't a big concern if you aren't behind people, but in the woods we switch leaders regularly which chokes our filters with dust. 

Every ride, even if I only ride 1 hour, I clean the filter and I'm amazed everytime how much junk comes out. 

I just use Filter Skins. I cycle 3 of them, change 'em every ride, and its like a new filter, they even get oiled :ride:

Another plus, is the filter gets extra "dirt-stopping" power :D

On a side note, where in Ontario are you Liam?

Man on kTM's I change the tranny oil and air filter every race. They have a terrible air box that needs constant maintance

I just use Filter Skins. I cycle 3 of them, change 'em every ride, and its like a new filter, they even get oiled :ride:

Another plus, is the filter gets extra "dirt-stopping" power :D

On a side note, where in Ontario are you Liam?

I'm near Barrie, and I will try filter skins