Sign in to follow this  

run headlight on stock stator? RMZ 250 2013

Hi

I have a RMZ250 -2013 that I'm bout to build a enduro bike of.

I'ts new, and I had my first testride in the woods yeasterday.. And man, It handels well in the trails.. I already love this bike.

But I would like to have head and tail light on it. So I searched the internet of lightning-kits, and found one seller that have a kit with Head&tail light and wirings and stuff. He says it's a "direct plug-in , and doesn't require a stator change."

Have anyone tryed that? Is the stock stator so powerfull so it can run a headlight with 35w buld and a LED tail light? Didn't thought that was possible..

Cheers  :)

I think the stator puts out about 12 volts. I believe that's plenty to run the ignition and power a small headlight. Lots of people run those. You'll have to wire up an actuator too I think. Then again I'm not sure about the whole efi. Call suzuki customer service and request a spec on what the stator puts out and what kind of a load it is currently carrying with the throttle body and all elect. Combined.

You can buy aftermarket stators that are high capacity and run about 16 volts max just in case you want to string some Christmas lights around your shit and hit the track.

Edited by perkybewbs

I think the stator puts out about 12 volts. I believe that's plenty to run the ignition and power a small headlight. Lots of people run those. You'll have to wire up an actuator too I think. Then again I'm not sure about the whole efi. Call suzuki customer service and request a spec on what the stator puts out and what kind of a load it is currently carrying with the throttle body and all elect. Combined.

You can buy aftermarket stators that are high capacity and run about 16 volts max just in case you want to string some Christmas lights around your shit and hit the track.

The voltage is actually regulated 12 volts DC. The bike has a regulator on it already. The watts the stator is capable of handling is the concern. Watts is voltage x amps=watts. So if it has a 120 watt stator 120 divide by 12 volts equals 10amps. So..depending on how many watts or amps the bike uses from the stator just to run,determines how much free power is available for lights,etc.

Right right, I agree that's why I told him to give suzuki a buzz and see what kind of a load its currently under. If not you can get a high output stator which runs about 14-16v. Although I am sure that you could somehow check what kind of a load its under using a meter. Forgot what it's called at the moment. Maybe TMM or UMM? It's not in the manual I don't think. Shouldn't be an issue to run that light though.