I need help identifying and fixing this!

I picked this up at the junkyard for 50$. It's complete (some of the parts I've removed to get at the carb). I have no idea what it is... The seat says DR, but the engine has a displacement of 160cc.... The tag says 12/79... So I'm assuming it was built in December of 1979.. The only other code on the tag is 01426. I got it running without too much difficulty, but it ran awful! No idle, backfiring while I revved it (throwing flames out the exhaust)... Ran a little better with choke, so I pulled the carb and it is soaking as we speak. Am I on the right track? What else should I fix/clean while I'm in here? This is my first dirt bike so I'm pretty excited to get it working and hit the trails!

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377864563.738428.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377864573.465198.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377864582.728908.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377864595.566066.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377864635.542564.jpg

The exhaust was completely shot... I'm thinking of installing this carbon fiber I have lying around??

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377864736.786081.jpg

i think its a dr400

1980-Suzuki-DR400T.jpg

DR6.jpg

Thank you! I was having a harrrrd time trying to figure that out...

Any ideas on the back fire ing/ lack of idle?

I have a old 4 stroker 400cc engine....thing won't Idle and backfires/pops and runs rough when you rev it. Seems to run a little better with choke, so I'm assuming the carb is in need of a clean? Anything else I should look for while its apart?

Probably needs some work done on the valves or even new valves.

Yeah, clean the carb (focus on the pilot circuit), then check the valve clearances. Also wouldn't hurt to do a compression check if the motor has a lot (or an unknown amount) of hours on it.

50$ and it starts - result! Looks like a great project bike. If it's been sat out in the junk yard for a while maybe check all the wiring and connections just to rule out possible ignition problems, at least pull every plug and give it a spray of WD or something. Carb clean is definately a good move. Check valve clearances too and if you've got time maybe pull the head & see what state the valves & cylinder are in although they must be in fairly good nick if it started easy enough.

I'm quite jealous - in the UK £50 would perhaps buy a wheel from a junk yard, never a complete bike.

The 1600ml is how much oil the crakncase holds, not the engine capacity!! I would suggest you change the filter and oil whilst your cleaning things up.

Cheers Richo

Thanks everyone! I got the carb back in, but it still seems to run best with choke.... I notice there are two needles to adjust.... One facing straight up into the throttle tube and the other going down into the carb at a slant. I've cleaned both of these and blow out the holes they go into, but have no idea of knowing how to adjust them??? Does anyone know some slandered settings I can try? I'm going to mess with the valves today, but have a feeling the main issue is still in the carb.

I almost bought one of those Suzis in 1980 but Honda had the XR500 while Suz was a 400 so no contest. Still got the XR500 and am riding it still. Give that carb a real cleaning and new parts if necessary-if it has been sitting a while it NEEDS it. You will never get it running right otherwise.Sometimes you need to replace the low speed jet it is just too far gone to clean.