Sign in to follow this  

Riding in the heat.. and humidity

We all hate it, riding in the heat.  When it's over 90 outside, I start getting blasting headaches in the summer from being overheated. 

What measures do you guys take to prevent the onset of heat exhaustion and hyponatremia??  I've tried everything, some helps like having electrolyte supplements in CamelBak, but that doesn't prevent the heat from shutting down my body.

I spent $75 this year on Leatt cooling vest, but it didn't do a thing to help.  In fact after riding 30 mins with it, I felt cooler when I removed the vest.  Luckily riding/racing season is coming up in the fall.  Any ideas for next summer??

I swim in my pool

If its that hot I don't ride to easy to make a mistake and get hurt.

If we do ride we take many breaks lots of water and a dip in the lake.

• Like 1

We all hate it, riding in the heat.  When it's over 90 outside, I start getting blasting headaches in the summer from being overheated. 

What measures do you guys take to prevent the onset of heat exhaustion and hyponatremia??  I've tried everything, some helps like having electrolyte supplements in CamelBak, but that doesn't prevent the heat from shutting down my body.

I spent $75 this year on Leatt cooling vest, but it didn't do a thing to help.  In fact after riding 30 mins with it, I felt cooler when I removed the vest.  Luckily riding/racing season is coming up in the fall.  Any ideas for next summer??

I ride mx here in texas and you arent in tight trees in a lower gear im in 3rd 4th alot. Hydration starts days before this . i drink over a gallon of water on nonride days. 

Also im used to working outside tho im in an office now i worked outside previously for 10 years. 

• Like 1

I ride mx here in texas and you arent in tight trees in a lower gear im in 3rd 4th alot. Hydration starts days before this . i drink over a gallon of water on nonride days. 

Also im used to working outside tho im in an office now i worked outside previously for 10 years. 

True true, MX is higher speeds whereas I'm in the woods with much less air flow over my body.  I just need to take the time to break more often, and as Tika270 says jump in the river.  That's always fun to do

True true, MX is higher speeds whereas I'm in the woods with much less air flow over my body.  I just need to take the time to break more often, and as Tika270 says jump in the river.  That's always fun to do

yeah i ride woods rarely and when its 100 degrees its tough. Its tough enough on the tracks i ride moving in 3rd and 4th so i feel your pain !!!  i wear decent vented gear but wear neck brace tall socks. knee braces and knee brace socks . it gets hot lol. 

yeah i ride woods rarely and when its 100 degrees its tough. Its tough enough on the tracks i ride moving in 3rd and 4th so i feel your pain !!!  i wear decent vented gear but wear neck brace tall socks. knee braces and knee brace socks . it gets hot lol. 

People as why I can't keep riding nonstop, because marathon runners and bicyclists ride for hours at a time in the summer.  It isn't hard to explain.. we are dressed from head to toe with a Power Ranger suit of gear and pads and helmet, we sweat and heat up a lot more than those other guys!!

• Like 1

People as why I can't keep riding nonstop, because marathon runners and bicyclists ride for hours at a time in the summer.  It isn't hard to explain.. we are dressed from head to toe with a Power Ranger suit of gear and pads and helmet, we sweat and heat up a lot more than those other guys!!

seriously. I usually hit the gym after work but last night i went for a run . It wasnt nearly as hot as it has been but i will continue to do it for training 2 times a week :)

we ride in the early morning out here like 5 A.M. we usually stop about 11 or 12 depending on the heat.. Then we either ride in the evening or not at all... No daytime riding tho too hot..

• Like 1

we ride in the early morning out here like 5 A.M. we usually stop about 11 or 12 depending on the heat.. Then we either ride in the evening or not at all... No daytime riding tho too hot..

I like your style kid. That's how we do it in Rio Rancho, NM.
  • Like 2

Once it gets over 90 degrees you have to be really careful about not getting your body into trouble. You have to drink lots of water, starting the day before you ride. Salt also helps with the heat, when i worked construction in the 100+ degree summers we would often take salt tablets. Conditioning your body to the heat is also something to consider. Your body actually can get use to riding in hot weather, just know your limits and be careful. You dont want to deal with heat stroke/exhaustion. 

I like your style kid. That's how we do it in Rio Rancho, NM.

Right on man!! Hows the riding out there? My wife has family somewhere in new mexico and Ive been thinking of taking my bike out there this year..

Sometimes you don't have a choice. The last 2 weekends in the Midwest it's been right at about a 100 degrees, with humidity about 105. We've been practicing on Saturday from 11-4, and racing Sunday. I start hydrating on Monday and drink a lot of water all week. It takes time for your body to absorb the extra water. Starting late in the week is worthless. I still lose 3-4 lbs from Saturday morning to Sunday night. You get used to the heat, if you have too.

Right on man!! Hows the riding out there? My wife has family somewhere in new mexico and Ive been thinking of taking my bike out there this year..

good to hear that you got family here. Dude if you bring ur bike, make sure you hydrate and ur bike has coolant.. It's been so freggin hot last couple weeks. You ride track or trail?

I ride everything!!! Mostly desert tho but I ride the track too.. I have an 03 KTM 525SX and a 99 Yz250... 

Im real used to staying hydrated and making sure my bike is hydrated too.. I always have a camel pak with water mixed with gatorade and I keep granola bars in the side pouch.. 

Yeah buuuuuddy. Dude if you ever in Rio rancho. Hit up the trails off king Blvd and rainbow st. Some o the best trails ever. Then there are 3 mx tracks within 3 miles circumference.

It's been near 100 every day here in California and riding has been brutal.  I keep telling my wife that if it's over 95 remind me how miserable I am riding because in the past I would keep going and then nearly get heat exhaustion.  I just recently bought new Fly racing jersey and pants(the Airline ones?)and they are super ventilated and help a bit.  I think the Moose Sahara line is ultra ventilated as well. Also make sure you have a really ventilated helmet.  Columbia makes a shirt called the omni freeze that is supposed to wick off sweat and lower the temperature 10 degrees but the reviews on it weren't good and some people said they were hotter with it on.

Stay hydrated, eat healthy, keep drinking water, have a jacket that breathes VERY well, and know your body. I rode from Phoenix to San Diego a couple years ago in some hot weather. All sun and no shade, and a few people at Glamis told me they were reading 126F in their cars. I rode for 5 hours and it was tough, but the big thing is hydrate BEFORE you ride. You can get sick fast. I ride to and from work and work in a building that is up to 130F and humid. Part of it is knowledge, and part of it is acclimating your body to the conditions.

Hydration is a must! Also do your best to cool yourself down in between rides. I keep an underarmor shirt in a cooler full of ice and throw it over my head, neck and shoulders as soon as I park the bike. It helps bring down the body temperature and pull a lot of sweat off. Before I go back out I throw the shirt back in the cooler and get it cold again. I've gotten headaches too but I can usually get rid of them with a lot of caffeine. Goody's powders are great and work fast.

Edited by Bawlz