What tire pressure?

Hi,

I got a Yamaha YZ125 with a new MX51 110/90 - 19 tire.

What pressure should I have?

I ride trails in Texas (very dry little mud).

Thanks

14 psi front and rear

Maybe like....12-14

It largely depends on your skill and what tubes you have.  If you run heavy duty tubes and you are a good rider who can hit rocks with force, I would run 12 PSI that's what I run front and back.  If you have cheesedick tubes for moto, run a little more to prevent flats.

In the Cali desert I would run 20 PSI as recommended by my mentor, but that was stupid crazy pressure.  The bike just doesn't handle right with that much.  In fact, the last TX enduro I raced, I dropped the bike twice before I realized that I had 3 lbs too much pressure in the front tire (stupid Slime gunked up the valve, so the pressure gauge was off).  So a few pounds of pressure make a  huge difference.

I like 10-12 in front and back

with tubeless I run 3-5 in the back I love the additional traction, but I dont know if that low works out west

I run 12 psi front and rear with HD tubes. I weigh 200lbs and am slamming rocks and roots constantly, no flats. Run 9-10 psi in a trials tire with an HD tube, so far no flats there either.

Edited by OLHILLBILLY

Start at 10-12 and experiment from there.  When your rim scrub is ~ 3-5mm you'll know it's right.

Edited by Colorado^

Depends on the riding discipline and the rider.  I know I cant go below 14psi front and rear without getting flats constantly.  My rim scrub at that psi is usually 5mm to 7mm.  I dont get flats at that so im happy plus i like the feeling better.  When you go too low it feeling mushy and you can feel the tire fold over the rim which for me is like at 13 psi.  This is mostly for mx.

Fella's, if an OP posts asking "how much tire pressure should I run" he probably doesn't know what "rim scrub" is, what it indicates and what range is acceptable. 

Turbogrill, give this a read;

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/d2ab3e68-1fac-4cf2-9fd7-84fb76b3ecb8.aspx

I personally run 12-14 PSI. Here is AZ we hit rocks at pretty high speeds. They like to hide in the middle of sand washes. :) That's one reason the Maxxis IT is so popular out here. Little sidewall flex and it will get you home on a flat. 

Fella's, if an OP posts asking "how much tire pressure should I run" he probably doesn't know what "rim scrub" is, what it indicates and what range is acceptable. 

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/d2ab3e68-1fac-4cf2-9fd7-84fb76b3ecb8.aspx

I personally run 12-14 PSI. Here is AZ we hit rocks at pretty high speeds. They like to hide in the middle of sand washes. :) That's one reason the Maxxis IT is so popular out here. Little sidewall flex and it will get you home on a flat. 

Will pass the latter info on, the Maxxis stuff is real popular out here as an alternative to the Pirellis.

Good link, I dent the front rim at 20 psi, but here it's just smaller rocks and bigger rocks. As I understand it, I shouldn't air down? DS, also ride pavement, if I didn't I'd only have a 50-100 mile riding radius. Trucking a bike just don't seem right, unless it's a particularly rough January.

Mike

Good link, I dent the front rim at 20 psi, but here it's just smaller rocks and bigger rocks. As I understand it, I shouldn't air down? DS, also ride pavement, if I didn't I'd only have a 50-100 mile riding radius. Trucking a bike just don't seem right, unless it's a particularly rough January.

Mike

Wow. I may get away with 12-14 PSI because I run Maxxis and a Heavy tube. What tires/tube combo are you using? I'm thinking traction would be hard to come by at that much PSI?  EDIT: I just realized that you're riding dual sport. That does change things. DOT tires then? 

Will pass the latter info on, the Maxxis stuff is real popular out here as an alternative to the Pirellis.

I have had great luck with the Maxxis IT rear and SI front. Maxxis IT front sucks pretty bad, IMHO. Just not consistent and can't push it in corners or it breaks loose. Have tried Bridstone M603 and 604 with good success. Did ok with M403/404. Have run into several guys this summer on early morning rides that were using Dunlop 952 front, and Pirelli MX eXTra rear  and swearing that it lasted like the Maxxis but had better traction. I think I may try that next time. 

Edited by Kenpo1

Wow. I may get away with 12-14 PSI because I run Maxxis and a Heavy tube. What tires/tube combo are you using? I'm thinking traction would be hard to come by at that much PSI?  EDIT: I just realized that you're riding dual sport. That does change things. DOT tires then? 

D606's, heavy tubes. On my WR450 I ran Maxxis IT's, sold it when they shut down most of the single track, and all of the best single track up here. Currently riding a KLR650 first gen, don't laugh, rode all but the most southern portion of the GWT in Az. including Martin Canyon (smiley rock). Haven't been able to find anyone else to have ridden it on anything but 4wd crawlers. Also rode Casner Mtn., more a 250# bike type ride.

But getting off topic, I need the pressure for the road, and is the higher pressure protecting my rims off road? If not, I'm all ready carrying CO2 for flats, so I can go back and forth. Only flats I get are nails or maybe barbed wire every year or two.

Mike

12-14 we run I run 14 psi we ride very rocky single and double track trails.

I run MX 51's and heavy tubes. 10 in the front,8 in the rear.

12 is the magic number for me

I will try with 12 and see what happens. I am a beginner and not sure I can tell the difference between 12 and 14.

How will my bike behave differently between 10 psi and 14 psi?

The bike has 100 stock but I have 110, what is the point of this? (the previous owner had this so I am just following him).

Thanks!

Do you have pics , what type of tire are you running?