Recovered my stolen DR-Z 400. Hotwired. Questions...

Hi, so as you can guess, and as some of you may have experienced yourselves, my 2000 DRZ was stolen a month ago and I had pretty much given up on it, BUT the cops called yesterday and I picked my bike up from the hood.  Some hood rats had ripped off all the electronics, lights, fairings, bark breakers, mirrors, electric console, rack, license plate mount, and ignition, even ripped off my fan override switch and power.  It has a spider nest of wires coming out the front forks.  I can figure out what most of them are, and I know someone was riding it hotwired just yesterday, and when I picked it up, it still had wires twisted together.  When I searched on the net, I find most people saying that you need to connect the orange and red wire, and the grey and brown wire are for the lights.  The scumbags who were riding it had the orange and brown twisted together and the red with the grey.  Plus I don't know if any of the other wires are crucial.  Nonetheless, as it sits from how I recovered it, It doesn't make a sound or try to start.  It is not a kickstart, its push-button.  The key ignition is completely gone, as is the console.  You guys know anything about how I can make it run again?  Also, I know its almost not worth repairing all the damage, but if anyone out there has an old console and/or ignition or anything I can use to try and fix this thing, please help.  I'm crushed.  I had just finished rejetting and tuning the bike the day before it was stolen- and she was running like a true DRZ beast, so I'm assuming, aside from the hole they punched in my case from dropping the bike on the shifter, that the engine is still solid, and the bike can still be something if I fix the electronics.  THANKS IN ADVANCE, SO MUCH, FOR ANY HELP.

-JP

recovered bike.jpeg

recovered bike2.jpg

It's not that bad... I would buy new harness and case and be rippin again. I have the old license plate holder/fender thing and front/rear signals if you need. Pm your address I will send for free also. The fender thing is cut already. LMK, don't know if schematic will help...

I hate scumbag thieves!image.jpgimage.jpg

Edited by pyankura
  • Like 2

It probably looks worse than it really is.  Take some time to inventory the damage.

Red to Orange will make it run.  Gray to Brown will turn in the taillight after Red to Orange is connected.  Or all 4 can be twisted together. (Actually what they did will work too). I would take a look at the damage to the wire harness before I replaced it.

The battery is probably dead at this point if the hot wires were connected when you found it.

• Like 1

It probably looks worse than it really is.  Take some time to inventory the damage.

Red to Orange will make it run.  Gray to Brown will turn in the taillight after Red to Orange is connected.  Or all 4 can be twisted together. (Actually what they did will work too). I would take a look at the damage to the wire harness before I replaced it.

The battery is probably dead at this point if the hot wires were connected when you found it.

Thanks Noble.  I like the optimism!  That's where my head is at too.  I tended the battery up, hooked up red and orange and nothing.... but on a closer look I found that the fuse right at the battery was blown.  Had a spare right next to it, put it in and she fired up!  One small victory!  More to come.

-J

• Like 2

Mate so sorry this happened to you and your bike. Did they catch the scumbags?

Ha, that's where it gets really frustrating.  The cops aren't allowed to chase bikes here, but after the thugs were raising hell on the bike in their own neighborhood, the cops went looking for the bike later.  Saw someone on it, followed them to a dead end where the bike pulled behind the last house and ditched the bike in the back yard.  The cops ran the VIN and it came up stolen of course, but the thug just went in his house.  Even though the bike was on their property, and seen being ridden there, without a volunteered confession, the cops can't do a thing.  The hood rats know that too, so the cop stayed with my bike there until I could come get it.  These hoods had the audacity to sit on their porch 12 feet from me chuckling while I tried to start the bike and while I loaded it on my carrier.  A little boy walked up and asked me if I was taking their (the hoods') bike.  I said, 'No, this is my bike.' He then replied, 'So you let them borrow it?'  .... HAAA.  I said, 'No, they stole it'.  He was wowed.  Then the cop asked the kid if he knew who had been riding it, the kid plainly replied, 'All of them.'  The cop said 'Who do you mean?' And he named every thug sitting there (of course we were out of earshot from the thugs and weren't trying to get the little 8 year old in trouble).  I turned to the cop and said, 'Wow, that was easy,' thinking he could do something about it later, but he further explained that they really couldn't do anything.  Plus, I knew the damage was done, and I'd get nothing out of it.  And I didn't want the little kid getting beat up for giving them up.  The cop told me he knew that the thugs in that house were the ones riding it, he just couldn't charge them.  I was seeing RED nonetheless and got out of there before I did something stupid.  That whole neighborhood is overrun with gang activity, as well and on a dead end street there isn't much you can do except hope to get out.

Mate that seems outrageous! He had them there to charge with theft and did nothing.....no wonder they do it in the first place knowing they can get away with it. I'm amazed that they don't just ride them down to the cop station and tell them they have finished that one and they will be back with another. Mate hope you get it sorted and it stays with you

Hi, so as you can guess, and as some of you may have experienced yourselves, my 2000 DRZ was stolen a month ago and I had pretty much given up on it, BUT the cops called yesterday and I picked my bike up from the hood.  Some hood rats had ripped off all the electronics, lights, fairings, bark breakers, mirrors, electric console, rack, license plate mount, and ignition, even ripped off my fan override switch and power.  It has a spider nest of wires coming out the front forks.  I can figure out what most of them are, and I know someone was riding it hotwired just yesterday, and when I picked it up, it still had wires twisted together.  When I searched on the net, I find most people saying that you need to connect the orange and red wire, and the grey and brown wire are for the lights.  The scumbags who were riding it had the orange and brown twisted together and the red with the grey.  Plus I don't know if any of the other wires are crucial.  Nonetheless, as it sits from how I recovered it, It doesn't make a sound or try to start.  It is not a kickstart, its push-button.  The key ignition is completely gone, as is the console.  You guys know anything about how I can make it run again?  Also, I know its almost not worth repairing all the damage, but if anyone out there has an old console and/or ignition or anything I can use to try and fix this thing, please help.  I'm crushed.  I had just finished rejetting and tuning the bike the day before it was stolen- and she was running like a true DRZ beast, so I'm assuming, aside from the hole they punched in my case from dropping the bike on the shifter, that the engine is still solid, and the bike can still be something if I fix the electronics.  THANKS IN ADVANCE, SO MUCH, FOR ANY HELP.

-JP

looks like you will want to buy a wiring harness, then a used headlight + taillight. the plastics are cheap too.

$100 might be the damage total. 

get your stuff on ebay and ride on. no big deal.