Help choosing a sm bike to build

Ok so I've been toying for a long time with an sm build, this will be a long haul project as I'm strapped. For cash right now but in you opinion what would be the best, I have a street bike and a dirtbike so this will be mostly for a fool around ride and the occasional track day. So the requirements are it needs two wheels that's it haha put down what you think is the best engine and why? I'm looking all the way back to early 90's I was looking at an xr600, 525sx, xl600, crf450, yz250f, or even toying with the idea of my cr125. But I want opinions.

Really nothing? Like no one has any opinions on what would be a good sm bike

Just buy one that is already built :D

Saw a 525sx that was an sm once on cl, that thing was mean looking, that or a dual pipe cfr 450r, either would be fun bikes

I wanna make my own I enjoy building them as much as ridin them (:! Yes I was looking at an 05 525sx the other day I just don't know of the 4 speed tranny is enough?

Might be able to stretch it with sprocket gearing haha, they might be spaced out gears idk I've never ridden one

Neither have I hmm any other suggestions? I'm looking for the lowest entry level to do some track days.

Neither have I hmm any other suggestions? I'm looking for the lowest entry level to do some track days.

06 crf 250r, because dual pipes are badass

Are you planning on building a street legal bike or a track bike? The XL600 is a street legal bike and has a drum rear brake. If you are planning on converting a non street legal bike for street use I would FIRST recommend looking into what your state requires for getting a street use title, inspection, and registration...especially if you are strapped for cash.

Tech25

I was thinking the 250f/125 might not have enough power. I already have a street bike so I don't really need a tag for this one I mean it would be helpful, but it doesn't have to be. At first I was leaning towards using it for street use but now I'm thinking I may just mainly track it.

A WR450 would be an easy way to go. Just put on a set of 17's and a bigger front rotor. Done. OR you could have a lot more fun and do a KX500SM, either a KX250 frame swap with 17's or do a KX500AF with 17's. That would be cool. A stock KX500 would probably work, but the look old and dated IMO. They handle good but the stock seat sucks, and it looks and feels like its from the 70's. So I would think a frame swap is a must. Either way, KX500's are a blast to ride, after you spend 10 minutes to get it started. Power and torque for days. Pretty dangerous though. My dad almost got killed on one, the same one I ride. They don't have the name "widow maker" for nothing.

I used to have an 87 kx500 when you went to accelerate the tire would just spin...alot, but you'd still be flying hahaha. I don't think a frame swap would be in the budget though.

Whats your budget and where are you located?

If you plan on doing track time, i suggest a 450+ 4 stroke.  2 strokes can be ridden but the power delivery and lack of engine braking and the fact that when you are off the throttle you aren't oiling the bike can all cause problems.  I was originally going to build a 2stroke track bike but decided not to.

My rmz450 is a 4speed.  And honestly at first that turned me off to it for awhile.  I spent a month or two considering the purchase of it.  There really isn't any issue with the 4 speed on a supermoto type track.  If you plan on racing on a faster Road Race track then you will want a 5th gear.  For instance when Kaw went from 4 to 5 speed on their kx450 in 07 or 08, they just added a 5th, didnt touch 1-4.  In 08 when the rmz went 5 speed suz messed with all the gears but gained topend because 5th had a lower ratio than the 4th of the 05-07 models.  For me on tight SM tracks i used 1st through 4th on my bike.  On 5 speed bikes i used 2nd through 5th.  The only downside was having to shift through N.  I raced at Circleville OH on this bike and actually was in 1st for most of the track.  I tried to race one heat using 2nd instead of 1st so i wouldnt have to shift through N(missed a few shifts....) and was actually a good bit slower cause i didnt have the same pull out of the corners. 

So if you are on a limited budget and looking for a 400-426-450 4stroke to build I wouldnt be put off by the 4 speed.  Especially if you end up with a ktm 525sx.  You can actually put the 6speed into that motor cause its the same case as the other 525 RFS motors just without the other 2 gears.

In terms of what bike to buy....I ended up going KTM.  lots of parts available, factory and aftermarket.  To my surprise factory parts were cheap and easy to get(my original put off).  You have a great KTM dealer in PA too.  Not sure where in PA you are but Solid Performance 

http://bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&pc=FACEBK&mid=8100&rtp=adr.%7Epos.39.999152258119_-75.700960920654_Solid+Performance_106+Robbins+Road%2C+Downingtown%2C+Pennsylvania&cp=39.999152258119%7E-75.700960920654&lvl=16&sty=r&rtop=0%7E0%7E0%7E&mode=D&FORM=FBKPL1&mkt=en-US

The reason I went KTM was because of the parts available and the chassis.  I rode a ktm and loved it compared to my rmz.  Completely different bike(in terms of chassis and feel).  Plus my ktm can fit a 5.5 rear wheel where my rmz barely fit a 5 on it unless i swap an aprillia sxv swing arm.

I don't think you can go wrong with any bike, but some require more money/parts to setup right for supermoto, and you can spend a lot of money too....  I bought my rmz converted for 3k a years ago.  I instantly swapped a 5" rear wheel, sent the suspension off to have it done right for SM and upgraded a few things.  All in all i have about 5k invested into the bike(not counting consumables like tires...)  Can you do it cheaper than that?  Maybe, but it depends on what you want to build and the quality. 

rearthreequartergrassbackground.jpg

9147612774_b07273485e_c.jpg

On a budget your best bet is to find one built honestly.  let someone else dump the cash into it and then you tweak it to how you want.  change the color, graphics, upgrade parts to what you want etc.  I have more in the ktm bike without SM parts than i had in the whole RMZ, and im far from done with what i want to do to it.  If you are even considering putting it on the street find either a wr426 or 450 steel framed version.  You can pick them up fairly cheap these days.  Might even find one tagged and legal under 3k with supermoto parts and dirt parts if you wait around.  A buddy bought a 426 tagged for $2800 i think.  I have seen newer 450s go as cheap as 3k.

I wouldnt do a 250f unless your plan is to race the lites class.  Too much shifting, not enough power.  They handle great though!  In the end you don't save any money going that route, well maybe a little gas money ;)

Thanks for the info very insightful! I live in west chester PA and my budget is around 1000 but I mean I guess ill wait around and save up for a newer 450, and look around for something tagged! Where's the ktm dealer in pa located because I've never heard of one around me?

I will also be considering ktm now, I always thought their parts were expensive.

If you plan on doing track time, i suggest a 450+ 4 stroke.  2 strokes can be ridden but the power delivery and lack of engine braking and the fact that when you are off the throttle you aren't oiling the bike can all cause problems.  I was originally going to build a 2stroke track bike but decided not to.

My rmz450 is a 4speed.  And honestly at first that turned me off to it for awhile.  I spent a month or two considering the purchase of it.  There really isn't any issue with the 4 speed on a supermoto type track.  If you plan on racing on a faster Road Race track then you will want a 5th gear.  For instance when Kaw went from 4 to 5 speed on their kx450 in 07 or 08, they just added a 5th, didnt touch 1-4.  In 08 when the rmz went 5 speed suz messed with all the gears but gained topend because 5th had a lower ratio than the 4th of the 05-07 models.  For me on tight SM tracks i used 1st through 4th on my bike.  On 5 speed bikes i used 2nd through 5th.  The only downside was having to shift through N.  I raced at Circleville OH on this bike and actually was in 1st for most of the track.  I tried to race one heat using 2nd instead of 1st so i wouldnt have to shift through N(missed a few shifts....) and was actually a good bit slower cause i didnt have the same pull out of the corners. 

So if you are on a limited budget and looking for a 400-426-450 4stroke to build I wouldnt be put off by the 4 speed.  Especially if you end up with a ktm 525sx.  You can actually put the 6speed into that motor cause its the same case as the other 525 RFS motors just without the other 2 gears.

In terms of what bike to buy....I ended up going KTM.  lots of parts available, factory and aftermarket.  To my surprise factory parts were cheap and easy to get(my original put off).  You have a great KTM dealer in PA too.  Not sure where in PA you are but Solid Performance 

http://bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&pc=FACEBK&mid=8100&rtp=adr.%7Epos.39.999152258119_-75.700960920654_Solid+Performance_106+Robbins+Road%2C+Downingtown%2C+Pennsylvania&cp=39.999152258119%7E-75.700960920654&lvl=16&sty=r&rtop=0%7E0%7E0%7E&mode=D&FORM=FBKPL1&mkt=en-US

The reason I went KTM was because of the parts available and the chassis.  I rode a ktm and loved it compared to my rmz.  Completely different bike(in terms of chassis and feel).  Plus my ktm can fit a 5.5 rear wheel where my rmz barely fit a 5 on it unless i swap an aprillia sxv swing arm.

I don't think you can go wrong with any bike, but some require more money/parts to setup right for supermoto, and you can spend a lot of money too....  I bought my rmz converted for 3k a years ago.  I instantly swapped a 5" rear wheel, sent the suspension off to have it done right for SM and upgraded a few things.  All in all i have about 5k invested into the bike(not counting consumables like tires...)  Can you do it cheaper than that?  Maybe, but it depends on what you want to build and the quality. 

rearthreequartergrassbackground.jpg

9147612774_b07273485e_c.jpg

On a budget your best bet is to find one built honestly.  let someone else dump the cash into it and then you tweak it to how you want.  change the color, graphics, upgrade parts to what you want etc.  I have more in the ktm bike without SM parts than i had in the whole RMZ, and im far from done with what i want to do to it.  If you are even considering putting it on the street find either a wr426 or 450 steel framed version.  You can pick them up fairly cheap these days.  Might even find one tagged and legal under 3k with supermoto parts and dirt parts if you wait around.  A buddy bought a 426 tagged for $2800 i think.  I have seen newer 450s go as cheap as 3k.

I wouldnt do a 250f unless your plan is to race the lites class.  Too much shifting, not enough power.  They handle great though!  In the end you don't save any money going that route, well maybe a little gas money ;)

Good info Shifty :D... I was going to say some of what you said but I don't have a Suzi ;) but I 100% agree with all of this  :thumbsup:

Oh funke5372, I have a KTM and parts are not really any more expensive than other bikes. Well OK, for the RFS motors yeah the oil filters cost more cause you have 2 of them not one hehe  ;)  But to build a SM you are looking at some $$$$, just the wheels alone are a 1000 bucks for a good used set, then front rotors very in prices from 250 to 500, slipper clutch 500 to 1900 and to be honest it is just easier to buy one already set up and like Shifty said dial it in to your taste ;)

Here's my 05 450 smr, yes lots of internal magic in the motor (lightened and balanced crank, ported and polished head to match header, slipper clutch and so on) and yes it was done by the guy I bought it from which saved me a LOT of $$$ in the long run. All I have done is graphics, suspension, front rotor and seat cover. So yes buying one done will save you some $$$$ as they really are not cheap to build correctly. 

Dyno+day+4-12-12+022.JPG

Oh sorry I meant like a grand budget for just the bike itself. But yea sounds good save up a bit me what do they cost usually like 3000 to 4000? They usually don't pop up around here so I'm not to sure. Lastly do you absolutely need the slipper I know it's a nice touch but is it a must?

Check SuperMotoJunkie.com.... look in the For Sale section and you will find one and yeah, 3000 to 6000 is pretty much a good price for a good used race bike ;) As for the slipper no you really don't need it but the faster you go the more you will need one ;)

I jumped on a friends SMR to prove to him nothing is wrong with his bike and I forgot he didn't have a slipper LOL.... some nice rear wheel hop going on into turn 1 LMAO. So yes it is really nice to have ;)

The link in my post should give you the dealers address in Google maps I thought.

Yeah I paid 5100otd for my ktm. I have more than that in sm parts. If you buy a used 05 to 08 bike that is setup right you will save yourself some cash. But I am a firm believer in "if you want it done right, do it yourself". Getting into the sport just get what you can find. Also keep in mind certain parts like ktm parts cross over a lit if years. So you could buy an older rfs nous setup and if you ever want an rf4 you can swap wheels and brakes. Also rf4 only has 1 poo filter:). I run reusable ones.