Sign in to follow this  

Engine seized?

Hi there,

new to riding, new to the forum.  I appreciate any advice available.  I was out of town for 4 weeks, left my DRZ with someone, the battery died and it sat there.  When I got back the pilot jet was clogged.  I cleaned the carb and changed the gas and oil.  It ran fine for 2 days.  I tried to start it this morning and the starter rolls really slowly and labored.  Tried drop starting it (which normally is quite easy) but even with lots of momentum and weight the back wheel will not roll and I skid to a stop.  The engine just refuses to turn.  There was no seizure while riding, no traumatic clanking noises.  What should I look into next?      

Hydo-lock due to gas in the cylinder.  Remove the spark plug and see if the starter will spin the motor.

• Like 2

+1 to Noble.

Drain some oil out of the bottom of the engine and check for fuel in your oil. Sometimes sitting bikes will have fuel flow through the carb into the motor because the float bowl needle valve allows it to pass. Checking the oil for fuel will be telling too.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm guessing Noble and BurnCycle is right.  I just got home, there is gas dripping out pretty rapidly from the case where the gear shifter attaches.  I imagine my oil is all crap now huh?

Hydo-lock due to gas in the cylinder.  Remove the spark plug and see if the starter will spin the motor.

Tried this, the starter won't spin anything. 

Okay here is how to recover from this. You will need to drain the oil out completely from engine, filter and frame tank. Use a big container because there will be a lot. Allow to drain for a long time. Move bike around by tipping to get it out. Then put in 2 qts new oil. Run the engine till good and warm and drain. Then repeat process. Once refill with oil to the proper level you should be good to go. Fix your carb by replacing the float valve needle and o-ring. Set float bowl height to 13mm. If your stock vacuum op petcock is leaking replace it with a new one ($100ish)or go with an on/off/reserve one ($30ish). Just remember to always shut off your fuel when you stop for long periods. I know all this because just a few months ago I went through all of this. Also you may need to charge your battery or replace it if its turning over slow once all this is done. Good luck.

Edited by BurnCycle

lovea001 - Sounds like we have not identified why the motor will not rotate.  If it is not Hydro-locked, things get a lot more dire.  Yes go ahead and drain the oil although I doubt there could be enough gas in the oil to prevent rotation. Spark plug out.  Put the transmission in 5th gear and rock the motorcycle fwd and backward.  Does the motor turn at all or is it locked solid?

Put the transmission in neutral. Remove the access plug from the stator cover.  Use a 17mm socket and see if the motor will turn fwd or backward.

Float level on slant body Keihin 39mm FCR is 9mm

Float level on the 36mm BSR MIkuni is 13mm.  Don't use 9mm on the Mikuni carb

There is a recent post on how to repair a leaking vacuum operated petcock inexpensively if that turns out to be the source of your problems.

I drained everything.  The engine still won't turn with the starter.  In 5th gear I can roll it around and I can hear it turning.  Unfortunately I'm heading out of town for the weekend so this poor bike will need to sit until Tuesday.  Thank you for your help Noble and BurnCycle.  I really appreciate it.  On Tuesday I'll pull the carb back off and take care of the float valve needle and o-ring.  The petcock on the bike now is an on/off/res one.  I usually turn it off whenever I leave it.  I think I accidentally left it on Wednesday night.  Would having it set to "on" while the carb was stuck open allow the gas to flood the case overnight? 

I drained everything.  The engine still won't turn with the starter.  In 5th gear I can roll it around and I can hear it turning.  Unfortunately I'm heading out of town for the weekend so this poor bike will need to sit until Tuesday.  Thank you for your help Noble and BurnCycle.  I really appreciate it.  On Tuesday I'll pull the carb back off and take care of the float valve needle and o-ring.  The petcock on the bike now is an on/off/res one.  I usually turn it off whenever I leave it.  I think I accidentally left it on Wednesday night.  Would having it set to "on" while the carb was stuck open allow the gas to flood the case overnight? 

Sounds like you're going to need a battery as well.

"In 5th gear I can roll it around and hear it turning" this with the spark plug removed?

faster than overnight, yes. sometimes, it only takes 5 minutes, depending on how poor the float needle seals. 

fix the:

float needle

fill with new oil + filter

replace the battery

enjoy the bike again. sorry for the misfortune :)

I bought a battery last week when I got home (that was the first thing I replaced after the bike was sitting).  So I'm hoping I can charge it and use it.  Black_DRZ- That's with the spark plug in.  I pulled the cap off the head where the spark plug sits, but I don't have a tool to yank the plug out yet. 

Hay wait a minute.  You answered in post #6 you had the spark plug OUT.  Hard to give good advise if the answers are not accurate.

• Like 1

Hay wait a minute.  You answered in post #6 you had the spark plug OUT.  Hard to give good advise if the answers are not accurate.

Yea, probably meant, "yes, I tried by pressing the starter button and nothing" (did NOT remove spark plug).

Just like Noble mentioned try rotating the engine with the transmission in 5th gear and pushing the bike forward, forward/backward.  Or remove the stator side cover plug (IIRC 8 or 10 mm allen) and use a 17 mm socket to rotate the crank CCW with the transmission in neutral.  Definitely refill the crankcase/frame tank with oil, as engine components can quickly begin to rust after having the oil washed out with fuel.

Edited by bmwpowere36m3