Cleaning up gas tank

I bought this 96 cr250 about a month ago, it had been sitting for a long time and I am working on fixing it up.  What do you guys think I could do about this ugly gas tank?  I would like to get it so that it is pearly white again but I have no idea what I could use to get the yellow off.  I have looked into dying the tank black which is what I might end up doing but I would like to see how the bike looks with a white tank first.

gas tank.jpg

Is it dirt rubbed in from riding pants or actually yellowing of the tank? Take a Mr.clean and some LA awesome spray to it as see how it looks after. My 250f had browned on the tanks shrouds due to dirt ground in and that did the trick

Is it dirt rubbed in from riding pants or actually yellowing of the tank? Take a Mr.clean and some LA awesome spray to it as see how it looks after. My 250f had browned on the tanks shrouds due to dirt ground in and that did the trick

No the tank has actually become yellow, even underneath the tank, some spots more than others..

As nbonney mentioned try the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser....just from what I see in the photo it will improve the look. You can also use the Pro Honda Spray Cleaner to improve the looks and then use something like SC1 Silicone Spray to give it a shinier appearance.

But beyond that, I doubt it will ever be pearly white.  Sun/gasoline have probably permanently changed it to an off white/ yellow.  I dont have any experience dying plastic tanks.

I had a 96 CR that the tank was yellowing on and I took some very fine sand paper and wet sanded the tank with good results then used a mr clean magic eraser to clean it all up. It will probably never look new again but that will help