Sign in to follow this  

acl removed still ride?

Hi guys is there any Mx riders out there with no acl i would like to hear from you. I am considering getting my acl removed at current it has completely snapped of i have to undergo strict physio routing to strengthen all other muscles etc around the knee i have been told my motorcross days are over by my doctor he said buy a road bike lol Would a acl brace allow me to ride mx?i don't race only play and trials bike any advice would great guys

My ACL was apparently damaged for over 10 years, I had always had problems with my knee but it was never anything until recently when I got really competitive racing. Then I tweaked it a few good times was in a lot of pain and had it checked out to make sure. But I rode for a solid 5 years with no real problems. If you're not racing, invest in a good set of braces, PODMX makes great braces and they're remotely affordable, just go out and ride. It's already torn, what else could go wrong? haha

My ACL was apparently damaged for over 10 years, I had always had problems with my knee but it was never anything until recently when I got really competitive racing. Then I tweaked it a few good times was in a lot of pain and had it checked out to make sure. But I rode for a solid 5 years with no real problems. If you're not racing, invest in a good set of braces, PODMX makes great braces and they're remotely affordable, just go out and ride. It's already torn, what else could go wrong? haha

do you ride with a brace? Is your acl snapped in half. How are you landing jumps and wheelies i seem to have sharp pains in the knee when i do this.

I do wear braces. I haven't had any my ACL was completely shredded I dunno about snapped, but it was basically non existent I have the pictures to prove it! haha I didn't have problems with landing wheelies or jumps, but don't get me wrong, I've had instances where I would slam a rock or a tree racing in the woods and I'd be in severe pain. I even had to stop a race and I couldn't finish. Don't get me wrong, its not a walk in the park, but you can still ride, just take her down a notch.

Blew mine out trail ride in a nasty rut section like 17 years ago. Ripped it in half. Still ride hard without my brace just got my hamstring stronger.

The brace gets in the way of my knee guards.

There is no evidence that bracing an unstable knee will make it safe for extreme sports such as MX.

Having said that, several individuals will present themselves saying that they ride all the time that way.

Its only a matter of time (and a short time) before they find themselves needing a total knee replacement.

There is no evidence that bracing an unstable knee will make it safe for extreme sports such as MX.

Having said that, several individuals will present themselves saying that they ride all the time that way.

Its only a matter of time (and a short time) before they find themselves needing a total knee replacement.

Hmm think I'm going to be on the list for a new knee soon as I have injured all the other surrounding ligaments in my knee, its now hanging on by a thread. Does make you wonder why we bother putting our bodies through this.

Thanks for the reply

Blew mine out trail ride in a nasty rut section like 17 years ago. Ripped it in half. Still ride hard without my brace just got my hamstring stronger.

The brace gets in the way of my knee guards.

You're hardcore lol have you ever had surgery to stick it back together?

I do wear braces. I haven't had any my ACL was completely shredded I dunno about snapped, but it was basically non existent I have the pictures to prove it! haha I didn't have problems with landing wheelies or jumps, but don't get me wrong, I've had instances where I would slam a rock or a tree racing in the woods and I'd be in severe pain. I even had to stop a race and I couldn't finish. Don't get me wrong, its not a walk in the park, but you can still ride, just take her down a notch.

Thanks for reply I have been trying to ride but you're correct it ain't no walk in the park I feel awkward on the bike like learning to ride again first time. Think I will try a brace they look a bit crazy though like a part no. From robocop.

You're hardcore lol have you ever had surgery to stick it back together?

Nope when I did it we were about a hour in the ride. My buddy said suck it up. That was my right knee so I had to kick my cr500 all day. Took about 2-3 weeks to get back to riding, and

Been riding ever since.

... I am considering getting my acl removed at current it has completely snapped of i have to undergo strict physio routing to strengthen all other muscles...

Why not get it repaired, why removed?  Tore my ACL playing basketball,  I had my ACL replaced with a cadaver ligament (allograft).