How to hook up a cigarettte lighter?

Hi Gents-  Just wondering if someone can help me out on how I can install a cigarette lighter on my 2014 CRF250L. 

I am a beginner with wiring and electronics, but I did manage to hook up the DRC Edge light and upgrade board.

I want to put a GPS on the front handlebars, but I need a cig lighter hookup for it to get power.  It would also be nice to be able to charge my cell phone on.

Any help is appreciated!!!

2014 CRF 250L mods-

-Seat Concepts Black gripper seat

-Xenon Ultra White Headlamp

-Borrego Tail luggage rack

-Dennis Kirk Tail bag (in the mail)

-DRC Edge2 Taillight and upgrade board

-JT 13T Sprocket

Bikepic.jpg

• Like 1

the wireing is a piece of cake two wires one hot one ground--now placement will be a problem as they stick out the back almost 2 inches--Ive seen some with a bracket tho and that would be your best bet-- :ride: The two wire outlet like the small battery chargers have is a better bet i think!!

Edited by USMCVietVet

Twistedthrottle.com sells these "universal" handlebar mounting brackets for 12v plugs.  I'm not sure of the hole spacing though.  Might be worth a try for $20.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-handlebar-mounting-bracket-for-flush-mount-12-volt-cigarette-style-socket

Edited by greenyone

i have mine bar mounted...  if you have risers you can put it in the center forward position... if not and you DO NOT have a tank bag, you can put it center facing the gas cap...  i opted for throttle side because i put my ram x-mount on the clutch side...  i might be moving it to center/foward...  here is a picture or 2... i got mine from crf's only... $20 i believe for the whole kit...  i use it regularly and its not once been in my way...  

IMG_20130528_182829_273.jpg

2013-02-27_17-12-57_992.jpg

old pic with the stock grips. lol

• Like 3

i have mine bar mounted...  if you have risers you can put it in the center forward position... if not and you DO NOT have a tank bag, you can put it center facing the gas cap...  i opted for throttle side because i put my ram x-mount on the clutch side...  i might be moving it to center/foward...  here is a picture or 2... i got mine from crf's only... $20 i believe for the whole kit...  i use it regularly and its not once been in my way...  

IMG_20130528_182829_273.jpg

2013-02-27_17-12-57_992.jpg

old pic with the stock grips. lol

Nice clean look. 

• Like 1

where does it plug in ?  and where may i purchase one ?? 

this could be way better than a lighter plug. . thanks . .!!

It plugs into the existing SAE plug on your bike that you would normally plug a charger into. 

you can buy from amazon .... I think sabrent ... ?   is the manufacturer but I just googled "SAE to USB" adaptor ... less than 30 bucks !!! 

I will buy one but ...  I have been waiting to order other stuff with it .... It would be a nice tool to have for emergencies !!! 

Edited by gnath9

It would be in the wiring diagram...and shown in the parts diagrams, but finding it would be a pain - especially when you don't know for sure it's there, or what they would call it. That's weird, really, i;ve never heard of a bike having it as standard.

• Like 1