Sign in to follow this  

2011 xc300 shim adjustments

I'm thinking of making the below adjustments, anybody have any advice or thoughts very welcome.

24x10-3

16x10. Remove x over.

24x10-3

9x30

16x25

rebound.

15x10. Why is this here?

20x10-3 delta

16. 15 after this

10x30

16x25

Mid valve.

12x10. Remove*****

20x10-3

float 1.7 Reduce*******

You might want to say what the fork is doing now and what you want it to do, type of riding, etc. 

That' a very good point, very well put!!

Standard CC with original .42 springs I assume, the spring feels quite good to me, but I may have to go up a size. I'm 85kg so I'm at the limit of the standard spring I guess.
I ride Enduro, x country, and hare & hound events in the U.K. so normally quite technical woods, roots clay chalk mix. the odd open field. I sometimes to MX practice only, so I don't need to set it up for that.

I raced it last week for the first time, and as it sits, it's good, but I think it could be improved. I doesn't recover front suspension height as well as I'd expect under braking bumps. I thought that may be the fault of the bleed shim in the MV, so I was going to remove that and reduce the MV float to try and keep it up in it's stroke more.

Also it the front is unwaighted it can kick off square edged hits a bit, so maybe remove some face shims in the BV?

In the past I've always had good results by increasing the high speed of the rebound stack, indeed mine seems to have a bleed shim, which I don't understand. I was going to move the 15.1 bleed shim down the stack, but now thinking of using it as a backer to limit stack movement.

Some of these ideas are borrowed from the Husaberg fork, with my own spin on it very slightly.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

ive just checked the clicker settings.

Everything is within the standard range apart from the compression, which is wound out 22 clicks.

This is how I received it, but obviously the previous owner was trying to calm it down.

I need to reduce this so I intend on removeing 1 or 2 of the 24.1 shims from the BV. Again like the Husaberg setting.

So this is what I put in, but I'm not happy.

Base valve.

3x24.1

Mid valve. 0.6mm float

3x20.1

Rebound

3xD20.1

The bladder is set at 22psi, and I have 340no of oil in the outer chamber.

It is better than it was, but um still getting small kicks off of square edges, which is a bit in unnerving. The hole action it a bit harsh, and not smooth.

I've wont the comp out and it feels better, but it not where I want it set. On a ms track I'm using just about all the travel just not quite bottoming out.

But to doesn't fell progressive, and definitely isn't the plush feel I'm after.

On the plus side, I rode some sand and ut was fine, but that's not what I normally ride.

I have removed the bleed shim from the mv and rv. And the is a fair amount of resistance befor the rid will get moving.

I also know that the seal I have in are less than good, giving a lot of risistants.

Any ideas anyone?

The fact it works well in sand says it's too stiff still , try less oil to prove it

Comments on anther forum think the mid is a bit heavy.

1st time I've used the bladder pressure tool, so I will check it's accuracy.

What pressure is recommended?

1.2 BAR is what i use....i dont know if the manual says for something less for Enduro, trail riding can call for a bit less

Drilling a bleed hole on the mid valve works for some...or try a bleed shim!

Recess shim stock is 0.3 not .10 unless it was changed before!

so you float could be less than 0.6 if you didnt adjust before....sorry if am pointing out what you know!!

Thanks I do have .6 float on my MV.

I don't like the idea of a bleed shim. Anyone tried a transfer shim between the 1st and 2nd 20mm MV.

I would worry it would overstress the face shim

My attention is now turned to the rear.

It due a service, so I may tinker. The requirement is feel, it handles the big hits well, but the area I want to improve is grip on rough ground.

I also need help with tools needed. I know I will need it regassed.