fork rebuild gone wrong?

If you go to a fork exploded parts view,

http://www.servicehonda.com/parts/lookup#/Honda/XR600R_A_%2892%29_MOTORCYCLE%2c_JPN%2c_VIN%23_JH2PE040-NM700004/FRONT_FORK_91-92/XR600R-92-JPN-A/2Y14MK2FMK24F0802AA

item 14 threads into what I would have called the damper

rod.  The bottom bolt, which also has the compression adjuster built in, threads into 14 to hold

the forks together.

When I took my fork apart, item 14, 51431-KS7-701 PIECE (LOWER), unthreaded from

the tube item 13 51430-MN1-681 CYLINDER instead of the bottom bolt item 18

51441-KS7-003 BOLT, CENTER  

coming out.  It's loose now but I haven't got a good idea how to hold the "PIECE (LOWER)" to get

it the rest of the way out.

Anybody ever have this happen?  How'd you get it off.  I'm tempted to take the second,

already rebuilt fork apart to see better whats on the side of that PIECE (LOWER) that

I might be able to hold.   Somehow.

TIA,

Mike S.

OK, it came apart with the downside that I took apart the PIECE (LOWER)

that has a shim stack inside.  Now I need a diagram of the shim stack

to get that back together.

Maybe disassemble the other fork, carefully, to determine the shim stack in that leg.

Maybe disassemble the other fork, carefully, to determine the shim stack in that leg.

Yep, that's what I did.  PIA and my own dang fault.

Didn't the base valve, #14, have its nut peened on from the factory?  Even if that base valve unthreaded from teh cartridge, it should have stayed together as a unit.

Didn't the base valve, #14, have its nut peened on from the factory?  Even if that base valve unthreaded from teh cartridge, it should have stayed together as a unit.

Sure it stayed together as a unit but was down there at the bottom of the lower leg.  The ring that hold it into the upper leg

unscrewed with the bottom bolt half out.   To get it out, I had to take off the nut with a long 10mm and take the base valve

apart.

I've ridden it a couple times now and feels OK so I guess I got it back together in order.

Go fast. Take chances.

Mike S.

Yeah, it does seem a slightly strange design to have the base valve held into the bottom of the cartridge only be O ring compression and the retainer ring to be only finger tight.

I found this series of youtube videos that does a reasonable job: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8viRg3Difs