New CRF250L vs Used DRZ400

Hey people, my first post. I'm lookin to get a commuter bike for a 35 mile (each way) commute and I'm looking mainly for reliability and economy. I like the prospect of having more off road capability with the DRZ. I go out to the desert a lot (Ocotillo). I know the CRF couldn't hang out there but the DRZ probably could so that would be nice. However the upside of the CRF is that its new and gets better MPG. But, I've read that some people get 60-65 mpg with their DRZ's though so thats what peaked my curiousity. Oh and the other aspect is that my commute would include a lot of VERY windy roads. I have a feeling that the CRF would be more nimble for those.

Oh and if I bought the CRF it would be my first NEW bike purchase. What is a good OTD price for these and I wonder if dealers are even negotiating on them since they are so popular...

Thoughts? Help? Anything???

-Chris

Check out a wr ( yamaha) in either 250 or 450 or a crf___x ( honda ) in either 250 or 450. They both are street legal and then they can go straight from the road to the trails and track (if you get a stiffer spring) with out any modification. Besides the stiffer spring and probably tires because you probably don't want mx or sand tires on the road but don't want road tires on the track trail and sand. Good luck

Ya I have. Only the WR250 is street legal (in CA). The others can be made street legal and the used ones that are fetch a pretty penny. A new WR250 is over $2k more than the CRF250L so its out of my price range. If i could find a good used one for under $4k that would be sweet.

The DRZ would be more suited for your needs

Find a nice low mile example

Ya I have. Only the WR250 is street legal (in CA). The others can be made street legal and the used ones that are fetch a pretty penny. A new WR250 is over $2k more than the CRF250L so its out of my price range. If i could find a good used one for under $4k that would be sweet.

have you check craigslist?

ya I'm on craigslist all the time looking at stuff

Check out a wr ( yamaha) in either 250 or 450 or a crf___x ( honda ) in either 250 or 450. They both are street legal and then they can go straight from the road to the trails and track (if you get a stiffer spring) with out any modification. Besides the stiffer spring and probably tires because you probably don't want mx or sand tires on the road but don't want road tires on the track trail and sand. Good luck

those bikes are not street legal unless you jump through the thousand hoops to make it. And depending on where you live its impossible to get a tag for

DRZ

I've had my CRF250L for a couple weeks now and it does fine off road. It definitely needs a sprocket swap for some low end grunt, but the suspension is up to the task for the desert and dirt.

I've had my CRF250L for a couple weeks now and it does fine off road. It definitely needs a sprocket swap for some low end grunt, but the suspension is up to the task for the desert and dirt.

Nice! Good to hear

So it looks like the DRZ is the top choice here?  I'm in a similar boat as chrisdub with a 32 mile each way commute, only I live in the midwest.  I'm seeing nice DRZ's in the $3000-$3500 range and some barely used CRF250L's around $4000.  I like the fuel injection of the CRF and the better fuel mileage but I like the extra power of the DRZ.  This would be my first bike.  Would reliability and maintenance costs be equal on both?