Just picked up a 1997 CR250R to turn into a dualsport? I know nothing!

Let me start by saying i've never owned a 2 stroke or a dirtbike for that matter. I've ridden 600CC sportbikes in the past. Also I got this bike on a trade so i didn't really pick it or shop for it but ended up with it and I'm not big into buying selling but like tinkering so i think i'm gonna try to turn it into something fun for around here.

I don't really have a desire for a dirt-only bike but i do live out in the country on a dirt road that ranges from deep mud to snow to ice to gravel depending on the time of year. I wouldn't mind a bike to ride around these back roads, ride on the property and maybe cruise down the mountain into town with. From the little I've read, folks were saying it's not worth trying to turn a CR250 into a dualsport but what the hell? Worst case scenario i learn something about 2 strokes and dirt bikes and resell it as a registered dualsport for at least what i have into it. I like it cause my wife wants to ride it as well and as a 250 it's light enough for her to handle and feel comfortable on. Also it's got plenty of power and just looks pretty badass.

The bike is a 1997 CR250R bored out to 277CC with upgraded front and rear disks and came with two extra rear sprokets, some extra fairings I don't know if anything else is non-stock but it seems to run good and i got it for the equivalent of $1250 or so in stuff i didn't need/want.

I got lots of questions but I'll start with the basics.

1. As a general question, what would you guys suggest i do to it to get it street/dirt road ready?

2. Are there quieter mufflers for these things available? From the little i've ridden it (just got it today) it's got tons of power so i have no problem sacrificing some to quiet it down a bit.

3. What's a good all around tire for them considering it'll see an equal amount of dirt, packed snow and asphalt? or should i not even consider riding in packed snow?

4. There seems to be a good amount of dualsport kits with all sorts of different lens and bulb types. Any better or worse?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions guys, hope to learn a lot here.

U don't need a kickstand!!, u just go to where the Harleys park, and you lean it up against them, they are usually cool with it, you don't need to even ask that's how friendly they are

I would love to see some pictures of it to see if there are modifications that you dont know about on it. You definatley can make that bike a fun bike!

Here's pics i took today. I don't know if it has any other mods. 

DSC00864.JPG

DSC00865.JPG

DSC00866.JPG

DSC00867.JPG

DSC00868.JPG

DSC00869.JPG

DSC00870.JPG

it also came with two extra rear sprokets and an almost complete extra set of plastics.

From what i can tell, it has an FMF pipe, skid plate, renthal bars, brake rotors (like you said), and a different seat cover that doesnt look too good.

looks like you have a short silencer, if you want to quiet it down you can go for a FmF turbinecore silencer, it's spark arrested, U.S forest legal and supposed to be comfertably quiet, the best thing would probably be an FmF Q silencer, but I don't think they make one for this model?

get a picture of your current silencer though, always good to see what you are currently rolling with.

looks like you have a short silencer, if you want to quiet it down you can go for a FmF turbinecore silencer, it's spark arrested, U.S forest legal and supposed to be comfertably quiet, the best thing would probably be an FmF Q silencer, but I don't think they make one for this model?

get a picture of your current silencer though, always good to see what you are currently rolling with.

I really do not like the Turbinecore, it leaks a lot out of the front bolts, and the "turbine" parts seems to be a spooge magnet, on the 125 I had one on it ran great with a PC shorty, but the Turbinecore would consistently spooge regardless of jetting, I think the turbine drops the leftover oil out of suspension and lets it pool in the bottom, where it leaks out the bolts and covers your swingarm, instead of blowing it out the back like a normal pipe.

I really do not like the Turbinecore, it leaks a lot out of the front bolts, and the "turbine" parts seems to be a spooge magnet, on the 125 I had one on it ran great with a PC shorty, but the Turbinecore would consistently spooge regardless of jetting, I think the turbine drops the leftover oil out of suspension and lets it pool in the bottom, where it leaks out the bolts and covers your swingarm, instead of blowing it out the back like a normal pipe.

Yeah I've heard other People say the same thing about it, but if he is looking for a quiet silencer, what Choices does he have? I've got FmF Q on the way for my ancient CR500, but I could not find it for a '97 CR250.

what other quiet silencers are there on the market today?

Thanks for the info. I got ahold of the guys at ProMoto Billet and it looks like it might fit. He said sometimes they simply don't have a model to try it on so they leave it off if they're unsure. $140 seems a bit pricey for a kickstand but doesn't look like there's a lot of options out there and i'd really like a kickstand. 

Looks to me like someone actually cut the muffler?

DSC00871.JPG

Also wondering, is the chain supposed to be this loose? seems like a lot of slack, but don't know if that's a dirt bike thing.

DSC00872.JPG

invest a new chain and chain silders/guides

I like the 97 cr250r. Like you said lots of power. If you ever want to trade out those radiator shrouds, drop me a line. I have been looking for those stock graphics for my bike.