Sign in to follow this  

XR 600R Wheel Bearings

My wheel bearings never seem to last very long, by the time I`ve done 3-4 rides 250-300 miles of what I would call normal green laning and a mix of all terrains I start getting some play in them.

I have always fitted my own and used many different makes and had the same problem on my TE510 Husky.

I`ve put it down to my weight and size, I`m 6" 6 and 266 lb.

Any thoughts people ? 

Cheers Bob.

I'm kinda the same. This time i put new spacers on , where the seal rides. We'll see if this makes a difference. Old spacers had grooves in them from seals.

might seem a silly ?, you have installed the spacer between the bearings?this is a very short service life for wheel bearings, do you drop off cliff like banks?do you push the bearings in with a press or tap them in with a socket the same od as the bearing outer?, hittng the bearing inner race to install them will damage the bearing surface= short life, cant think of any thing else that will wreak them that quick

might seem a silly ?, you have installed the spacer between the bearings?this is a very short service life for wheel bearings, do you drop off cliff like banks?do you push the bearings in with a press or tap them in with a socket the same od as the bearing outer?, hittng the bearing inner race to install them will damage the bearing surface= short life, cant think of any thing else that will wreak them that quick

Yep always installed the spacer between the bearings and put new seals on when replacing the bearings.

I normally freeze the bearings and tap them in with a socket the same size as a the outer race. I don`t jump or ride off big banks.

I just seem to think it`s a weight thing lol.

Cheers Bob.

Do you ride through a lot of deep puddles?  Do your outer wheel collars (spacers) have deep grooves where the seals ride?

That's way too soon for bearings to fail, regardless of your weight.  And you'll eventually ruin the press fit dimensions of the wheel hub bores if you keep changing bearings with great frequency.

The OP stated that his collars, or spacers, have grooves in them from the seals. This is the problem in my opinion. Dirt/water is getting past the seals and destroying the bearings.

I would also question if the OP is greasing the new bearings well before installing them. Yes, they do come lightly oiled, but I always press a good premium ball bearing automotive grade grease into the bearings insuring that they are adequately lubed. I would highly recommend using the dual shielded bearings. In that case, I'll actually lift, or temporarily remove, one of the shields so that I can pack in the grease. I had over 7 years of hard use, including mud, water, ditch, crossings, on a single set of bearings. When I sold that bike, the bearings were still as solid as the day I put them in.

Also, when putting new bearings in, pack the hub cavity, the bearing spacer, and the gap between the seals & bearings with a premium water proof grease such as what Belray sells. Not only does it stop rust from forming, to a point it will keep water from getting past the seal, and any dirt that gets past the seal will be held right there and won't penetrate any deeper.

One last thing.. When it comes to pressing the axle back through the rear wheel if there is ANY dirt or debris on the axle, or on the swing arm, or inside the collars, or inside the snail adjusters, you WILL push that dirt right inside the hub into your new bearings. It is absolutely imperative that you scrub the axle until it is spotless. Same with the swingarm where the axle passes through. Same with the bracket that holds the rear brake caliper (if your axle goes in from the side. You must get every bit of dirt removed from the path that the axle will take or it will drive that dirt right into your new bearings. Same for cleaning out all of the old grease/grime/dirt from inside the hub. Anything you miss, or leave behind, will shorten bearing life. I use an old tooth-brush along with diesel to clean everything with.

Op, please put new wheel spacers in along with new rear seals, and grease those new bearings extremely well, and your problems should be solved.

Edited by Kawabuggy