Am I safe to start riding again after clavicle surgery: x-rays included

Hi all,

I just joined up since I saw this great health section which most bike forums don't have. Just so happens I also picked up my first dirtbike, a 2000 KX250, and broke my collarbone before I could even ride it once. :)

6 weeks ago, I was involved in a street bike accident and now I'm wondering whether I can start riding again, street or trails. The details:

Relatively low speed crash which wasn't particularly violent or traumatic. I had no other breaks, and aside from a few scratches, no real rash.

I was told that I had multiple mid shaft breaks and things were displaced. They operated the next day and installed 2 steel plates and 12 screws.

The ordeal was fairly easy with no pain, pre or post surgery. I got out of the hospital the next day and was immediately able to take off the sling and go to work that same day.Stopped taking pain meds 1 day after being discharged and had almost full range of motion that day as well. Since then, the hard part has been limiting activity. I can still tell that I had surgery there but feel pretty much normal and don't have noticeable loss of strength. After my 2nd post-op, I was hoping that my doctor would clear me for riding and light weightlifting. He said I looked good and could start living normally, just no contact sports. I then said "great, I assume I can ride then?" he told me "absolutely not, that is a contact sport".

Can someone with experience take a look at my x-rays and see what they think? Normally I would listen to my Dr. but I got the feeling he just didn't want to deal with another idiot who would fall again and re-break it. Could relaxed, light, street riding be dangerous or is he just being too safe. He isn't the kind of guy who is going to stick around and chat so I'd rather ask here.  

Thanks

EDIT: First shot is day of, second is four days ago. Still gray areas where it broke but looks to be mending pretty well - is this healed or still fragile?

Collar bone before.JPG

Clavicle 6 weeks.JPG

Edited by SethR

Its not healed yet.

Its not healed yet.

Haha, straight to the point. I'm sure you know, but not what I wanted to hear - back to waiting on the sidelines. Thanks for the response 

Hi all,

I just joined up since I saw this great health section which most bike forums don't have. Just so happens I also picked up my first dirtbike, a 2000 KX250, and broke my collarbone before I could even ride it once. :)

6 weeks ago, I was involved in a street bike accident and now I'm wondering whether I can start riding again, street or trails. The details:

Relatively low speed crash which wasn't particularly violent or traumatic. I had no other breaks, and aside from a few scratches, no real rash.

I was told that I had multiple mid shaft breaks and things were displaced. They operated the next day and installed 2 steel plates and 12 screws.

The ordeal was fairly easy with no pain, pre or post surgery. I got out of the hospital the next day and was immediately able to take off the sling and go to work that same day.Stopped taking pain meds 1 day after being discharged and had almost full range of motion that day as well. Since then, the hard part has been limiting activity. I can still tell that I had surgery there but feel pretty much normal and don't have noticeable loss of strength. After my 2nd post-op, I was hoping that my doctor would clear me for riding and light weightlifting. He said I looked good and could start living normally, just no contact sports. I then said "great, I assume I can ride then?" he told me "absolutely not, that is a contact sport".

Can someone with experience take a look at my x-rays and see what they think? Normally I would listen to my Dr. but I got the feeling he just didn't want to deal with another idiot who would fall again and re-break it. Could relaxed, light, street riding be dangerous or is he just being too safe. He isn't the kind of guy who is going to stick around and chat so I'd rather ask here.  

Thanks

EDIT: First shot is day of, second is four days ago. Still gray areas where it broke but looks to be mending pretty well - is this healed or still fragile?

Seth, I suffered a compound fracture with my tibia and fibula in my lower right leg back in 1984 when I came up short on a long jump.. I was out of commission for over a year. Don't rush your recovery process, if you do you risk much worse damage and injury that will haunt you for the rest of your life with age. Stay off the bike for a while and heal up. However, this might be a good time for you to do all that annual maintenance which I found to be healing, meditative, relaxing, and I stayed mentally connected to my bike. Pull the wheels, swing arm, shock arm, forks, and steering stem bearings, and start cleaning, inspecting, repacking, or replacing as necessary. That will be good for you, and also good for your bike. 

Take care of yourself first. The riding will come naturally for you again instinctively as you heal.. servicing your bike during this time will ensure it's in good condition when you are ready to ride again.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

JL 

what falcon said. 

0-23.jpeg

Thers mine 6 weeks post op.. Doesnt look healed right..

Same thing with yours dude, wait as long as you can before you ride or lift anything too heavy..

I broke both mine in march riding dirtbikes, went back to work (HVAC TECH) too soon and rebroke my left one now i got a plate an 8 screws in there.. I feel great too but I wouldnt chance it and end up back under the knife..

Docs a doc for a reason he may be conservative about riding and sports but he knows whats up..

The doc would say no!

Thanks fort all the input guys. I have been spending more time on the sidelines and will wait for tyhe doc to ok me.

Falcon, you read my mind. I got new brakes that I am putting into the KX and all new suspension for the street bike in addition to the repairs. I guess that will have to keep my occupied for now. :)

I had to wait 3 months until I was allowed to get back on a bike or play contact sports. I'd say you're still pretty early in the process. Keep patient! Sending healing vibes your way.

Thanks fort all the input guys. I have been spending more time on the sidelines and will wait for tyhe doc to ok me.

Falcon, you read my mind. I got new brakes that I am putting into the KX and all new suspension for the street bike in addition to the repairs. I guess that will have to keep my occupied for now. :)

Seth,

Installing new brakes in your KX and all new suspension on the street bike will be meditative and help your recovery. Don't rush the process, you will be back on your bike riding before you know it. I find it relaxing just cleaning on my bike from front to back, top to bottom. Give it a try.. 

Hope your recovering well. 

JL