Sign in to follow this  

Preference of oversized take

Hey guys I'm interested in getting an oversized tank for my yz125 but I've seen some funny looking oversized tanks on YZ's. Dose anybody have a preference on a specific tank that looks the best on the YZ's? It's hard to tell online because either A: they don't show it on a bike, or B: they don't show the tank on the same model of bike.

Any thoughts would be great.

After some research I think I'll go with the normal ims tank, I like how it doesn't look crazy huge. I just need to be able to last an hour and a half on a 125 of hard riding

• Like 1

I agree go with regular ims. They are good quality and spark plug isn't terribly hard to get too. I have the Zipty on my 06 And you have to pull the tank to get to the plug

After some research I think I'll go with the normal ims tank, I like how it doesn't look crazy huge. I just need to be able to last an hour and a half on a 125 of hard riding

looking to get a oversized tank my self. How did the IMS work out for you. also what size did you gett??

Thanks

Make sure you really want the tank. If you're not racing, just go back to the truck and refuel,as it seems like all of the available tanks have quality control or other problems.

1. I have the IMS that I need for harescramble racing. The shrouds don't fit right, and the tank has rubbed clean trough the frame pads in rougly 20 hours of ride time. In addition, the tank came with lots of plastic dust inside it from the manufacturing process, and I have had problems witha petcock leak around the base. In my opinion, that's WAY to many problems for a $250 dollar product.

2. The Acerbis looks like it will quickly end your reproductive life.

3. The Clarke tank also has a lot reported problems. I personally will never buy another Clarke tank because of the terrible customer service on the model for my ktm.

4. The Zip Ty model blocks access to the plug.

A big tank can be really important in racing if it saves you a pit stop. But unless you are racing, I just think there are too many downsides to the big tanks available for yamaha YZ bikes.

Make sure you really want the tank. If you're not racing, just go back to the truck and refuel,as it seems like all of the available tanks have quality control or other problems.

1. I have the IMS that I need for harescramble racing. The shrouds don't fit right, and the tank has rubbed clean trough the frame pads in rougly 20 hours of ride time. In addition, the tank came with lots of plastic dust inside it from the manufacturing process, and I have had problems witha petcock leak around the base. In my opinion, that's WAY to many problems for a $250 dollar product.

2. The Acerbis looks like it will quickly end your reproductive life.

3. The Clarke tank also has a lot reported problems. I personally will never buy another Clarke tank because of the terrible customer service on the model for my ktm.

4. The Zip Ty model blocks access to the plug.

A big tank can be really important in racing if it saves you a pit stop. But unless you are racing, I just think there are too many downsides to the big tanks available for yamaha YZ bikes.

Who needs access to the plug that often though? I haven't touched a plug in forever....

I agree about the tank though. If you go out with your buddies who all have stock tanks, you only need to go as far as they go so the big tank is pointless....

The Acerbis looks like it will quickly end your reproductive life.

Best review of the Acerbis I've seen yet.  :lol: 

The Zip Ty model blocks access to the plug.

So? It's the best fitting, most low profile (see above about Acerbis), and slimmest large tank you can get. I change plugs maybe twice a year, so big deal. And, it carries the fuel lower.

Here it is on a bike...

20141017_003509_resized_zps5480251c.jpg

Edited by ubu

I have a Clarke 3.1 on my 250, couple things aren't perfect, but nothing that's huge. Shrouds don't quite fit right and I took the frame rubber things off to get it to fit down on the frame back bone. No problems with petcock leaking, little harder to get to the plug, but still can. Some junk in it when I got it, but poured it all out, rinsed it out with some left over old gas, good to go. Now I don't have to bother with taking the gas can along, just fill it up and ride for the day.

Best review of the Acerbis I've seen yet. :lol:

So? It's the best fitting, most low profile (see above about Acerbis), and slimmest large tank you can get. I change plugs maybe twice a year, so big deal. And, it carries the fuel lower.

Here it is on a bike...

20141017_003509_resized_zps5480251c.jpg

+1

You don't even notice the tank is on there and the for and finish is top notch...

20141005_202248_zpsrfsvdul2.jpg

2014-09-08%2016.01.51_zpsydpsjjkl.jpg

Edited by Monk

Who needs access to the plug that often though? I haven't touched a plug in forever....

Actually I was making a general point and I should have been clearer.  I personally find it very inconvenient when a tank (or large aluminum frame spares like honda has ) limits access to the "fiddly" stuff on a smoker like the plug, or tilting the carb to access the needle, slide, or main and pilot jets.  Sure, I've had many bikes that never foul a plug and jetting is "set it and forget it", but 125s often need fiddling for optimal performance with weather/altitude and other riding condition changes and such, and my YZ 125s seems to need as much if not more fiddling than most.  The OP is asking about a tank for his 125.

I have a Clarke 3.1 on my 250, couple things aren't perfect, but nothing that's huge. Shrouds don't quite fit right and I took the frame rubber things off to get it to fit down on the frame back bone. No problems with petcock leaking, little harder to get to the plug, but still can. Some junk in it when I got it, but poured it all out, rinsed it out with some left over old gas, good to go. Now I don't have to bother with taking the gas can along, just fill it up and ride for the day.

Looking back now my first post does seem rather negative.  I do agree that on balance a big tank is nice--you can see the fuel level, not have to bring the fuel jug every ride, and as I do note, it makes a huge difference when racing harescrambles or other types of races that exceed the stock tank.  But still, I think we are paying a lot of money for these aftermarket tanks and the frequency of problems seems out of line with the cost.  My KTM XC tank fitted to my SX provides enough capacity to complete a race or ride as much in a day as I care to, it fits exactly as it should with regard to the frame, shrouds, kickstarter, etc., its dimensions are identical to the sx tank from the riding position, it didn't arrive dirty and need to be flushed before use, and it still allows access to the plug and enough tilt to swap a main.  I guess I was expecting something similar to be available for my YZs, especially since the bikes have been unchanged for so long.  And yes, I am a cranky old man.

The fit and finish issues may be more of a "recent' thing too. I put a stock size (3 gal) Clarke on my KDX about 4 years ago and it fit perfectly in all ways. And it did away with the two round brass inserts that are always spinning and being a PITA with the stock Kawi tanks. I admit, I was a bit surprised that the YZ tank didn't fit up as well, but wrote it off as going to a larger tank (wonder if the stock size Clarke, IMS, etc.. tanks fit better, or the same). But after the fights I've had with trying to get the silencer (even a stock one) to bolt onto the subframe, the tank fit problems are small issues.

The fit and finish issues may be more of a "recent' thing too. I put a stock size (3 gal) Clarke on my KDX about 4 years ago and it fit perfectly in all ways. And it did away with the two round brass inserts that are always spinning and being a PITA with the stock Kawi tanks. I admit, I was a bit surprised that the YZ tank didn't fit up as well, but wrote it off as going to a larger tank (wonder if the stock size Clarke, IMS, etc.. tanks fit better, or the same). But after the fights I've had with trying to get the silencer (even a stock one) to bolt onto the subframe, the tank fit problems are small issues.

I have a stock size black Clarke that came with my bike. Fit is fine.

I think a lot of it has to do with the tanks just being bigger. The extra capacity has to find space somewhere (shrouds don't fit with IMS, Acerbis nut buster, ZipTy plug access, etc.).

3+ gallons is a bit of overkill, IMO. I have never used that much fuel even in a 60 mile loop, but I don't wring the bike out that hard either. The stock tank and a small bottle of fuel is really pushing it for most of my riding, so I need the assurance of the bigger tank. An option somewhere in between like a 2.7 would save some bulk and still get me through a typical desert loop.

Just go riding with someone that has a smaller fuel range than you do. I go riding with a guy that rides a banshee, once in a while. I only have to fuel up once for every 4 fuel stops he has to make. I prefer riding with other people than him, honestly haha.

Any chance older yz tanks and shrouds would bolt up? I can ride for 3 hours on one tank of fuel in my stock 1992 tank... Even had a busted gas cap leaking fuel for the first part of the ride last time I did a long loop. Can still reach the plug easily and the carb will tip far enough to change jets without too much hassle.

hey guys, looking into getting a oversized for harescrambles on my 125. had a couple questions on different brands.i gues Acerbis comes with 2 petcocks for each side of the tank to avoid fuel being stuck in one side, is this correct info? and IMS seems to be a good brand to go with but do you have a problem with fuel getting stuck in the other side of the tank?? 

TrailRider24,

I've raced with an IMS 3.1(the fit kinda sucks) and my current Clarke 3.9(impossible to move forward to weight the front end) with both setups I've come real close to running out of gas, this is with a YZ295(horrible mileage) and on the gas pretty good. Going over bumps and stuff the gas kinda splashes evenly between the 2 sides, so you'd have to really be literally out of gas to have some gas stuck only on the non-petcock side. 

If you're races are 90 min any of the 3.1 tanks(IMS, TipTy, Acerbis, Clark) would probably give you plenty of gas, all the tanks have their pluses and minuses, you'll have to decide what fits your needs(ie, plug access versus fit and finish).

TrailRider24,

I've raced with an IMS 3.1(the fit kinda sucks) and my current Clarke 3.9(impossible to move forward to weight the front end) with both setups I've come real close to running out of gas, this is with a YZ295(horrible mileage) and on the gas pretty good. Going over bumps and stuff the gas kinda splashes evenly between the 2 sides, so you'd have to really be literally out of gas to have some gas stuck only on the non-petcock side.

If you're races are 90 min any of the 3.1 tanks(IMS, TipTy, Acerbis, Clark) would probably give you plenty of gas, all the tanks have their pluses and minuses, you'll have to decide what fits your needs(ie, plug access versus fit and finish).

sounds pretty good. Our HS's are two hours so I should be pretty good with 3.1 did you have to do anything to your plastics to get them to fit? I've heard some people say they've had to remake holes and some that have no issues??

Thanks

With the 3.1 IMS I have I didn't have to mess with the shrouds at all to get them to fit, but the top of the shroud fit kinda sucks. The way the tank curves at the top, where the top bolt for the shroud is, makes the shroud stick out a bit, you don't get caught up in or anything but, its more annoying looking than anything.

The 3.9 Clarke that I have the shrouds fit like OEM.

Annoying, all these tanks seem to have their pluses and minues.