Sign in to follow this  

'11 YZ250F max RPM? Trail Tech Tach question

I installed a Trail Tech Tach/Hour meter and took it out for a test run. 

It shows an idle of about 1,000 rpms when warmed up.  When I run through the gears it doesn't seem like it is keeping up with the engine speed.  I thought the YZ would rev higher than 5,950 which is all it is showing as max RPM when I shut down the engine.  I have about 4 or 5 neatly layed wraps around the plug boot right before it drops into the head.

Another question.  If I were to hit the rev limiter and quickly back down, will this hurt the engine?  (fresh Yamalube is in there)  What is that RPM at limiter going to be?

Thanks!

I installed a Trail Tech Tach/Hour meter and took it out for a test run.

It shows an idle of about 1,000 rpms when warmed up. When I run through the gears it doesn't seem like it is keeping up with the engine speed. I thought the YZ would rev higher than 5,950 which is all it is showing as max RPM when I shut down the engine. I have about 4 or 5 neatly layed wraps around the plug boot right before it drops into the head.

Another question. If I were to hit the rev limiter and quickly back down, will this hurt the engine? (fresh Yamalube is in there) What is that RPM at limiter going to be?

Thanks!

rev limiter is fine as long as motor is fully warmed up and you don't sit on it for more the 5 seconds
  • Like 1

Read the instructions, there's a setting you need to change, I don't remember what it is right now but you're only reading half the rpm's. Redline is 13.5k

• Like 1

Thanks for the help.  I go play with the adjustments and see what I can come up with.

You will have to change how many pulses per revolution setting.  It sounds like you have it set currently at 4 ppr. Should be 2.

I have made some adjustments and changed how I hooked up the wire to pick up the coil signal following this : http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/398517-trail-tech-vapor-set-up/#entry3586061

I now have an indicated idle speed of 2200 rpms.  I think this is about right.  Correct?

I maxed out 1st gear and hit the rev limiter for just a bit.  I rode back to the garage and then shut down the engine.  The Tach is flashing 12,900 as the max RPM reached.  I figure this is close enough or should I be concerned its not hitting 13.5k?