Sign in to follow this  

XR250 Carb Question

I have an XR250 that's been sitting a while so I decided to clean out the carb.  In the jet labeled in the manual as the slow jet there is some sort of partial obstruction. I can't push a wire through it easily but it will pass air. Can this be right or should I get more aggressive clearing it out.

Thanks

Steve

It's a very small hole in the slow jet, I use a small strain or copper wire. If you can blow air through it then it should be clear.

It's probably gummed up, very common.

Shoot carb cleaner throught it for a while, then rotate the wire around inside. Force it if you have to.

A new jet costs $5 so no big deal if you can't get it cleaned. Sometimes the slow jets are hopelessly clogged.

If the slow jet is plugged the two discharge ports in the floor of the venturi may also be plugged. Here two posts on cleaning the Keihin PD carbs.

Cleaning carb  http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8896796&postcount=1  

PD Carb rebuild video: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1023210-carb-tutorial-coming/#entry10758564

• Like 1

Sure, get more aggressive with it, but don't discount the option of just spending $7 and buy a new one.

After spending time cleaning out small pilot jets, I found a new jet was worth the $7. I just couldn't get them clean enough with the new ethanol gas issues. It really kills small bike carbs. I use to own an xr400, 200, 100, 80, and SL100. The small bikes wouldn't even run until I put in new pilot jets.

Think about mixing Stabil in the gas before storage and drain the carb. I never use to, but I do now.

Thanks guys.  We got it running today. Still has some carb issues but we're on the way to getting it right.