Sign in to follow this  

Looking for opinions on best chain lubrication

Looking to find out if most of you use oil as recommended by manufacture, or synthetic sprays? What, in your opinion is best for off road conditions? Thanks!

For o-ring chains. This method has prevented me the need to adjust my chain this entire season.

Clean with nylon brush/cleaner/rag

Soak in new motor oil for 24 hours

Drip dry or wipe clean with rag

Reinstall.

For standard chains, same thing except use steel brush.

For o-ring chains. This method has prevented me the need to adjust my chain this entire season.

Clean with nylon brush/cleaner/rag

Soak in new motor oil for 24 hours

Drip dry or wipe clean with rag

Reinstall.

For standard chains, same thing except use steel brush.

Removing the chain when cleaning it takes too much time for me, plus you wear out the masterlink circlips and they become hard to remove.

I brush mine when washing the bike, then lube it with Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector--sprays a thin wax like coat to prevent rust. 

But having an o-ring chain, lubing the chain is not nearly as important than a conventional chain.  IMHFO, there's no reason except riding only sand dunes NOT to run an o-ring chain.

I clean and then dry my o-ring chain with compressed air after which I spray WD-40 on it and all moving parts. Helps remove water and doesn't leave a sticky film to attract dirt. A good chain kept clean and lubed will last a very long time.

• Like 1

+2 maxima lube after pressure washing. Don't care about over spray, it comes off with the dirt.

I replace chain and sprockets when they wear out. Its only $150.00 in all.

I believe in pm. Post maintenance. Lol if its not broken don't mess with it.

But that's probably only true for ktms. May not work for other lesser brands. Lol