Sign in to follow this  

2007 cr250 needs rescue!

So my buddy ( who has fallen off the face of the planet the past year) has a 2007 cr250 in rough shape that has been sitting for almost 2 years!

He bought it for 2500 came with 2 pipes a lot of woods goodies but he let it go to shit it was a local AA woods riders bike who did very well on it before getting picked up by KTM

Any way I just landed my big boy job after college and I told myself I would get a new bike once I got a real job.

Should I ask if he wants to sell the bike he seems to have no ambition to ride it and it just sits in a storage unit that he pays for.

What it needs

Top end - piston and the RC valve is shot

Suspension - it's FC but not set for me and needs a full service

Wheels are junk including the rear hub

Plastics are destroyed

Chain sprockets

What's a fair offer? And what would you guys do. If this falls through ill still be in the market for a last gen cr250

But this one is worth saving I would do a full rebuild over the winter if I got it so there needs to be some budget here what do you guys think ill be looking at money wise

give him 500 bucks and ride it as is till it blows up :ride:  lol

Not worth it man, If you did all the work yourself you would be looking at probably 1200 bucks in parts. 

Hard to go wrong if you cang get it for like1200

Ill have to call him and see what's up. I talked to him last week and he was complaining that he doesn't have the money to fix it and to be honest I wish he did so we could ride together like old times. Either way an 07 deserves to be treated better than this

Would 1500 be a slap in the face?

It depends how good of a friend he is.   I've sold parts & motorycycles to good friends for under market value.   I'm all about resurrecting a CR250, but take an inventory list of what it will cost you on top of the bike purchase.   It sounds like it needs a complete overhaul from top to bottom.  I've seen some clean 3rd gen CR250's on ads from time to time.  If your patient you can find a clean low hr. bike at a decent or even a good price.   Good luck on your quest.     

It depends how good of a friend he is. I've sold parts & motorycycles to good friends for under market value. I'm all about resurrecting a CR250, but take an inventory list of what it will cost you on top of the bike purchase. It sounds like it needs a complete overhaul from top to bottom. I've seen some clean 3rd gen CR250's on ads from time to time. If your patient you can find a clean low hr. bike at a decent or even a good price. Good luck on your quest.

Well not to get sappy but he was my best friend until he just fell off the face of the earth I just don't hear from him anymore

Maybe I'd be better off just getting my own gen 3 that's in better shape but it just kills me that he let it get this bad and it just sits there

Well not to get sappy but he was my best friend until he just fell off the face of the earth I just don't hear from him anymore

Maybe I'd be better off just getting my own gen 3 that's in better shape but it just kills me that he let it get this bad and it just sits there

I'd look for another bike, I got my 03 3 years ago for $1500 and it was in mint condition. Original top end until just last month, and it still looked pretty good.

I'd look for another bike, I got my 03 3 years ago for $1500 and it was in mint condition. Original top end until just last month, and it still looked pretty good.

Yea that's what I'm starting to think

budget for the worst. plan on all new bearings everywhere $$$. new tusk wheels for $500. as said, there could be a mint one out there for 2500$ and they need nothing. bike interventions aren't cheap. :cry:

I was thinking that I could part out my 01 and use the wheel set from it kinda combining both bikes to get the 07 up to speed then use any money I get from parting them to build up the 07 if I get it ill strip it to the frame and build it up from there

do 1500, its more fun to build a bike than it is to ride a bike. Someone else who goes to buy it from him one day will offer him less than you would, and he would still sell it

ur doing him a favor. just buy it

do 1500, its more fun to build a bike than it is to ride a bike. Someone else who goes to buy it from him one day will offer him less than you would, and he would still sell it

ur doing him a favor. just buy it

Yikes - only reason to build a bike is to ride it!!!!!!

Just feel your friend out.  Tell him you are interested in his 07 and ask if he is interested in selling and how much he would consider letting it go for.  If he starts talking a ton of money, you could kind of back out of it by saying that you were just curious.  If he talks in your price range, you could get more serious. I think it would be cool of you to rescue it from a slow and painful death.

• Like 2

If you pay more than 700$ you probably won't get all you're money back in resale if u end up selling it...still I'd haggle him way down and build a beautiful last year cr a piece of history!