Sign in to follow this  

How the f#$k! - fcrmx

I have an 01 400 E model, I'm replacing the stock carb with the TT store fcrmx39.

I have everything on except the &%$#@!ing air boot will not fit on the mouth of the carb. I have tried for 3.5 hours and the one time I thought it was on I tried to tighten the clamp and it fell off straight away.

Am I missing something here?

The FCRMX from the TT store is designed to work with the S model airboot.  The stock E airboot is different than what's on the S.  Try taking the intake adapter off of your E model FCR carb and put that on the FCRMX from the TT store.  That should hopefully solve your problem.

Correct. The S model has a bigger diameter air boot. So an aftermarket carb intended to fit the S will have an adapter for the S size boot.  Too big for the E size boot.  Also the FCRmx replacement is intended to use the S throttle cables.  Not sure your E cables will work.

There must be a reason you are replacing the OEM slant body FCR with an FCRmx??

My sm got stolen and I have this brand new MX laying around so thought I may as well use it. I've got the jetting set up in the MX so I will use that. I'm pretty sure the throttle cables will be OK, I've lined them up and it looks ok

When I put e model cables on to my fcrmx I found them to be too short.i fixed the problem by installing both lock nuts on the throttle wheel side of the bracket.

Recently I thought I would try something different by  fitting the carb' to the motor and put the air boot on last..... Your anguish was exactly my outcome.

Are you fitting the air boot first ?

Yeah airboot first but the intake adapter is sinoky too large. I blocked the nipple off on the standard intake adapter with some fiberglass resin and put a cap on it. Will install tomorrow and report

The bolt that gets replaced on the intake with the nipple for the vacuum line from the petcock is already there on the E model. Where do I plumb that to?

the E tank doesnt have a vacuum petcock does it? thats where it pulls gas from the tank.

Im in the same boat when i gotta take the carb out. I hate it so much. but when you get it you'll wonder what the big deal was. haha...

I guess I just have to remove that nipple or block it off somehow... Ahh painful. You reckon that part of the engine would get particularly hot?

you can use a bolt to block it off. there should be another one there you could take out to compare sizes. Or block it off with a rubber vacuum cap. they look like this...

96.jpg

you can use a bolt to block it off. there should be another one there you could take out to compare sizes. Or block it off with a rubber vacuum cap. they look like this...

96.jpg

I'm gonna be hard pressed finding that in Sydney on Sunday/fathers day haha Might have to pike work tomorrow and get this shit done

I'm gonna be hard pressed finding that in Sydney on Sunday/fathers day haha Might have to pike work tomorrow and get this shit done

a regular auto parts store should have them. thats where i got mine. they usually come in a pack of assorted sizes for a few dollars. I have used a fuel line with the end melted closed before for a couple days...

a regular auto parts store should have them. thats where i got mine. they usually come in a pack of assorted sizes for a few dollars. I have used a fuel line with the end melted closed before for a couple days...

Mmmm that I can definitely sort out :p

I closed the vacuum line by putting a ball bearing in a fuel hose so that is sorted. 

I find now that the bike idles a bit too high and turning the idle screw doesnt effect it very much if at all. When backing off the throttle completely the revs do not fall back down to idle straight away, it revs higher for anywhere between 5-20 seconds. Would this be from a rich fuel mixture?

I closed the vacuum line by putting a ball bearing in a fuel hose so that is sorted. 

I find now that the bike idles a bit too high and turning the idle screw doesnt effect it very much if at all. When backing off the throttle completely the revs do not fall back down to idle straight away, it revs higher for anywhere between 5-20 seconds. Would this be from a rich fuel mixture?

No, it's an indication that the idle circuit is lean... whereas if the revs dipped below idle and then back up it'd be rich.  Check for intake/vacuum leaks and adjust fuel mixture screw.