4.0 Gallon IMS Tank on DRZ400S - Lets See IT !

Looking for pics of the 4.0 gallon IMS tank on a 400S.......Considering colors.  JustGasTanks said they don't have examples, I emailed 'em.  They said go to the IMS site.  No pics of the different color tanks, or even this tank on a bike.....

There are few images around, if you google for them. I have my 4.0, in white, but it isn't installed yet. I'll say, it doesn't match my stock white plastics very well, but neither do my white handguards. Hell, I guess I've just got to get them all equally dirty.

Here are a couple of vids I just saw that has a DR-Z400S with IMS 4.0 in it.

Fun ridin'!

Edited by blakestree

It's a 2001E, but shouldn't matter?

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377967394.945092.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377967407.783934.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377967426.440383.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377967440.254484.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377967462.298500.jpg

How the heck does the gas from the bottom of the shrouds get to the carb?  I guess there's tubes dangling down into the shroud area to suck it all up?  Just curious.  Such a huge tank.  I just ordered the 15L clarke tank :D

Only one hose and no issues, I've never run out of gas either :)

My friends call it 'the yellow guppie', the tank itself is heavy, but still do nasty offroad stuff with no prob.

How the heck does the gas from the bottom of the shrouds get to the carb?  I guess there's tubes dangling down into the shroud area to suck it all up?  Just curious.  Such a huge tank.  I just ordered the 15L clarke tank :D

Ya don't.  The IMS carries 4.5 gals (approx), but only 4 of it is useable.  The petcock does not bull fuel below itself.  Regardless, great tank!

If you look into the tank there isn't much fuel actually stored down in the bottom of the shrouds as the tank walls are quite thick.

Someone on here did a test on one and found there wasn't much fuel there - approx. 0.31 US Gal to fill the shrouds to the tap - thread here

The other good thing about these tanks as they swell with age/use so they start to hold more fuel - that makes up for the bit you can't get at.

That particular forum member got 4.31gal in the tank in total so could get at all 4 gallons.

I'm not at my home computer ,but if you search Clarke 3.9 fuel tank clear vs yellow and go to post # 43 I have a picture of my 09 sm with a black ims 4 gallon tank.

Old yeller, matches good with acerbis plastic.

If you use uni biker rad guards expect to do some trimming off the guards. I also glued a strip of old inner tube to the outside of the radiator to prevent any possible rubbing.

IMG_2971_zps3d17a868.jpg

IMG_2637_zpse52149ae.jpg

6_zpsafce7a5d.jpg

IMG_1245.jpg

IMG_1247.jpg

metocinnamonsnow.jpg

Old yeller, matches good with acerbis plastic.

Thanks again DallasDRZ......So did you use the original tank's petcock ?  How did that go?  Did a gasket come with the tank?

Yes, used stock petcock and gasket.

Its been years ago when I swapped tanks but sure it was fairly easy, just be careful pulling it out.

On an E model w/Unabiker red guards.

And...in a pinch...one can lay the bike on the left hand side to get the gas fron the right hand shroud over to the left side (where the petcock is).  Total gas not able to be used from my measurements is around 0.20-0.25 US gallons.

25-5-Ride1.jpg

Just put it on...new to me 05 400s..great fit.

media (1).jpg

had it for years love the ims tank