Sign in to follow this  

'04 250X Leaking Front Brakes

I recently noticed a ton of brake fluid gathering on the plastic part that protects the front brakes (the official name escapes me right now). I hadnt ridden it in about a week and iut of nowhere I noticed something that looked like coolant pooling up on the garage floor under the front brake. Upon inspection of the radiators, nothing was damaged and there was no sign of any leaks. I examined the brake fluid meter next to the throttle and didnt see any fluid in the round window. I didnt have any time to inspect further as I was in a hurry, but I will examine it more closely tomorrow. Is there anything to look out for? Ive never worked on brakes before and I would very much appreciate being filled in on what I should check. Thanks!

First - have some DOT4 brake fluid on hand.  

Remove the caliper guard - that's the white cover.  Comes off with 2 allen head machine screws.

Take the brake master cylinder cover off - That's near the throttle.  Fill the cylinder to near the top with fluid.

Pull the front brake lever and see  if you have pressure, and  if you can see where the leak is.

If you have pressure - you'll be able to see what needs work.  If there's no pressure then you'll need to bleed the air out of the brakeline before you can diagnose what's wrong.

Edited by dukesilver

Theres probably a better chance that the fluid you see leaking is coming from the fork seals and is not brake fluid. Be sure and check the LS fork seals.

• Like 1

Theres probably a better chance that the fluid you see leaking is coming from the fork seals and is not brake fluid. Be sure and check the LS fork seals.

You are right, my left fork seal is blown and I could feel the fluid leaking down the left fork. How should I go about replacing the seal? Would you suggest I replace the other fork seal too since I'm replacing the left one?

normally when one side needs service the other side is done at the same time unless they had been done recently, then just address the side with the problem. Its not real hard to do but if its the first time youve ever done the job its alittle tricky and requires a couple special tools, alot of guys just remove them and either bring them somewhere or ship them to a suspension shop. It kinda depends if you like to do that type of thing and have or can get the tools to do it.

I would like to do it myself, but have no experience working on suspension. What tools would I need or what would you guys suggest?

There are some decent videos out there to check out that may help you determine if you want to try it or not. For some reason Im having a problem attaching a link but just google showa fork seal replacement and you'll be able to find videos.