Sign in to follow this  

Won;t start, clicking noise towards the back

Hi All.

Well my bike has been fine, getting it ready to sell and of course something has to happen.

It won;t start and a clicking noise each time the electric starter is used.

Thought it was a flat battery, charged it, did the same, so bought a new batter and same thing..............dam.....

I've identified where the clicking noise is, I have no idea what this is? Can this be the cause.

I did tidy up the wiring as I had a Monty battery wich really wasn;t up to scratch to start a 470 DRZ, so re-solderd new connections to suit a standard Bike battery.

Any suggestions?

DRZ%20Part%201.jpg?psid=1

Well, that is the starter relay and yes they some times do go bad.  Getting a click but no internal connection thru the relay is a normal sign of failure.  To test it, just take a screwdriver and short those 2 terminals together. Should crank right over. (you will get some sparks)

Great thanks for that.

I gave the starter a tap, and started to kick over. But will check the Starter relay as well

Back to same trick.

Trying to start, the battery goes from 12.7 volts to 12.5 volts.

Testing from the negative on the Starter motor to the postive on the battery and trying to start goes from 12.7 volts to 0 !

Edited by SavageSS

Back to same trick.------Please be more descriptive.  I do not know what this means

Trying to start, the battery goes from 12.7 volts to 12.5 volts-------The starter is nat receiving current.  Starter load will bring the battery down more then this.

Testing from the negative on the Starter motor to the postive on the battery and trying to start goes from 12.7 volts to 0 !-------OK, to clarify, you have 1 probe on the starter case and 1 probe on the battery POS terminal.  If that is correct and it truly goes to zero, the explanation is you have a bad ground between the battery and the motor or a bad battery.  Clean and tighten both battery terminals.  Verify the ground cable connection on the motor.  Do some more tests directly on the battery.