Sign in to follow this  

Registered in Mass /mods

I'm from RI and I registered my 2001 wr-426 in Mass. It was super easy cheep and quick. Of course I had the bill of sale made out for $200 so the state tax was only $12.50.The out of state registration for 1 year was only $30.I was in/out of the office in Fall River in 20 min. The reg. stickers are kinda big and odd sized and look like crap. I guess the best place to put them is on the top part of the forks. I was told by the person at the registration office not to power wash the stickers. I might just have them laminated and then stick or zip tie them to the top part of my forks. Now I had this bike a few months and have rode it for quick 10 min rides every 3 days. Its got about 650 miles on it now and it is running so good and I can actually kick it over on the 1st or 2nd try. I have been reading 1,000's of posts here and on this bike. So I decided to do a few mods. I put the pea shooter back in to quiet it up a bit for my neighborhood. A friend took it out and said it would run better but it runs fine with it in. It takes a bit of getting used to having it in as found as sound but that's ok. I did cut the throttle stop and man I wish I done it earlier. I can pull a wheelie in 1st and 2nd,havent tried 3rd yet or switching gears. Then I took off the air cleaner cover and the bike seemed to like the extra air. I do take quick rides on the beach almost daily so I'm putting it back on when I'm riding at home.

As far as going riding in Mass I have chose a few locations not too far from me.

1.) F.Gillbert hill state forest in Foxboro.

2.)Wrentham state forest in Wrentham.

3.)Franklin state forest in Franklin.

4.Hodges Village Dame in Oxford mass.

Those are some of my choices. I would like to go with a friend or maybe someone from here.

I am a beginner rider with some balls. So I hope to get to some of these places or to a actual track.

If anyone has any suggestions or want to go riding feel free to post or PM me.

Thanks,Rob

Edited by shakey0818

I'm from RI and I registered my 2001 wr-426 in Mass. It was super easy cheep and quick. Of course I had the bill of sale made out for $200 so the state tax was only $12.50.The out of state registration for 1 year was only $30.I was in/out of the office in Fall River in 20 min. The reg. stickers are kinda big and odd sized and look like crap. I guess the best place to put them is on the top part of the forks. I was told by the person at the registration office not to power wash the stickers. I might just have them laminated and then stick or zip tie them to the top part of my forks. Now I had this bike a few months and have rode it for quick 10 min rides every 3 days. Its got about 650 miles on it now and it is running so good and I can actually kick it over on the 1st or 2nd try. I have been reading 1,000's of posts here and on this bike. So I decided to do a few mods. I put the pea shooter back in to quiet it up a bit for my neighborhood. A friend took it out and said it would run better but it runs fine with it in. It takes a bit of getting used to having it in as found as sound but that's ok. I did cut the throttle stop and man I wish I done it earlier. I can pull a wheelie in 1st and 2nd,havent tried 3rd yet or switching gears. Then I took off the air cleaner cover and the bike seemed to like the extra air. I do take quick rides on the beach almost daily so I'm putting it back on when I'm riding at home.

As far as going riding in Mass I have chose a few locations not too far from me.

1.) F.Gillbert hill state forest in Foxboro.

2.)Wrentham state forest in Wrentham.

3.)Franklin state forest in Franklin.

4.Hodges Village Dame in Oxford mass.

Those are some of my choices. I would like to go with a friend or maybe someone from here.

I am a beginner rider with some balls. So I hope to get to some of these places or to a actual track.

If anyone has any suggestions or want to go riding feel free to post or PM me.

Thanks,Rob

I like the idea of the state forest in foxboro, I didn't know that was there! And track suggestions, I know of wareham practice tracks in wareham, and capeway rovers in carver, both kind of a trek for you but that's as close as I know of

Freetown state forest for trails, I heard its a great ride. Wareham is about 30-40 min from RI. I'm reg'd and still looking for people to ride with here in SE Mass too so let me know if your up this way.

Chris

Edited by jester125

Freetown state forest for trails, I heard its a great ride. Wareham is about 30-40 min from RI. I'm reg'd and still looking for people to ride with here in SE Mass too so let me know if your up this way.

Chris

Where in SE mass are you?

Go down to the hardware store and get about 14 inches of plastic pipe and split it down the side length ways. I take about 3/4 of an inch out. Put the sticker on the pipe and snap it over the forkleg between the trees. The decal sticks to the plastic and can be removed it you need to service your forks.

I have put decal every place on the bike and they don't like to stick to aluminum , hate gas tanks and get beat up on lower fork guards, between the trees on plastic pipe works well.

• Like 1

Plymouth

nice, I'm from west bridgewater myself, I go down to plymouth often, a friend of mine has a house there, we go there to fish, never to ride though those trails look good

Out of the places you named off the only one I go to now is Hodges. Only a 15 minute drive from home. I have been to the other places, but did not like them. Rocky, short trails. No fun for me. Also someone mentioned Freetown. That is a very nice place to ride. Only problem I have had is quads. They ARE NOT allowed to ride there, but the past two times I've gone I have ran into multiple quads riding around. Even at Hodges there was a group, which the EP caught them and threw them out. I'll be at Hodges tomorrow morning though. Normally pretty busy in the AM.

Go down to the hardware store and get about 14 inches of plastic pipe and split it down the side length ways. I take about 3/4 of an inch out. Put the sticker on the pipe and snap it over the forkleg between the trees. The decal sticks to the plastic and can be removed it you need to service your forks.

I have put decal every place on the bike and they don't like to stick to aluminum , hate gas tanks and get beat up on lower fork guards, between the trees on plastic pipe works well.

That's a great idea. I got the stickers laminated today to protect them. I have plenty of pvc so I will give your idea a try.

Well I just typed this step by step instruction in how I put the stickers on but had to charge my phone and list it.So ill post Picts from my phone and edit the instructions from my laptop.
ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377996286.801450.jpg
ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377996311.130286.jpg
ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377996326.492109.jpg
ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377996349.559264.jpg
ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377996365.843644.jpg
ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377996386.722183.jpg

So this is how I did it and I am happy with the results.

1.)I had the sticker laminated cause of my first thought of just using cable straps(wire ties, zip ties)

2.) I measured the space from the triple clamp up to where the forks stopped. It was 7 3/8 long.

3.)I cut 2 pieces of  7 1/2 in squared at both ends. I cut it 1/8 shorter than the space I had to get a nice snug fit.

BE CAREFUL USING POWER TOOL.

4.)I used a chop saw and cut from both ends cause of the size of the blade. I wouldn't recommend this.(However i am experienced with saws)Use a table saw instead. I made one cut down the entire length of the pipe. Then I measured 3/4 (Next time I would cut it 1-1/4 in).Then I made another cut down the entire length of the pipe. Leaving a gap going down the pipe. I then used a disk grinder with 60 grit to smooth all edges.

5.)I then taped 1/4 in along all sides of my laminated registration stickers. Then I applied it to the piece of pvc pipe.

6.)I took each section of pipe and snapped them on the top of the forks.

I really liked how it went and how snug it fit. Like I mentioned above a few things I would do different would be .

1.)Not have it laminated and stick it right to the pipe. Then what I would do is go to a local sign shop and get a few small pieces of high tack laminate. This will hold it down better than the sticker itself or tape.

2.)I would make the gap I cut down the entire length of pipe a bit larger. It was hard to get on/off with the gap of 3/4 like I made it.

I just used the tape to hold the sticker on the pipe as a dry run. I will be trying to glue the sticker on the pipe,go  to sign shop for laminate or just use zip ties to hold it on.

Everything went well it's nice and snug and all the numbers and stickers are displayed very well. I like the fact that I an just pop them on/off when going riding.

I hope this is helpful to those thinking of doing the same thing.

Special thanks to Slideleft for suggesting this.

Thanks Rob

Edited by shakey0818
  • Like 1

Out of the places you named off the only one I go to now is Hodges. Only a 15 minute drive from home. I have been to the other places, but did not like them. Rocky, short trails. No fun for me. Also someone mentioned Freetown. That is a very nice place to ride. Only problem I have had is quads. They ARE NOT allowed to ride there, but the past two times I've gone I have ran into multiple quads riding around. Even at Hodges there was a group, which the EP caught them and threw them out. I'll be at Hodges tomorrow morning though. Normally pretty busy in the AM.

Hit me up in the morning maybe ill meet ya there 401-323-9106

Anybody else wanting to meet up tomorrow for a ride I'm willing to travel to meet ya. Give me a pm or call.

I have used pvc and abs pipe, the pvc is stronger but stiffer to snap on and off but has been on the bike for every j-day event this year and has no damage. The abs is softer and spreads easy around the forks, I used it on smaller forks like on the kdx.
Still have not found a good way to mount them on the minis unless I put them on the lower legs.

Hey zotis Bridgewater center here

Nice, where do you ride around here? I just was at the mobile on 106 near the charlie horse in w.b. I was wondering if you know any good places?

I hear ya, a lot of people aren't, and I got a friend who loves xrs and other old trail bikes haha, he has an old honda reflex, like 70 something its essentially the first trials bike hahaha