Sign in to follow this  

71 TS250R

this one has me almost beat. 

Had the bottom end proffesionally done, crank seals new bearings etc.. I did the top end, fresh bore piston and rings all new gaskets, intake manifold is new and carb cleaned and float level set.  Start and runs - however there is no affect by turning either idle or air fuel screw - which tells me there is an air leak.  Had it running this afternoon and sprayed WD40 around base of cylinder and intake manifold = no bubbles. re checked all fasterners tight.

Spark plug is dry black. so that tells me there is no air leak? and it is rich, tried raising the needle e clip - it did not like that. float is set at 14.45 mm (15 is stock) bikeicon1.png does not smoke - just whispers of it as it should. Mean cranks seals etc are sealed up. 

I am stumped. Maybe ignition related? bad stator? but that would in no way affect the carb screws having no affect. 

When you had it running did it run correctly,did you take it for a ride?

What is the motor doing?  Not idling or idling too high?  When you open the throttle does in rev as it should or is it sputtering?  I have a few old endures and have seen a bunch of things happen.

starts runs and rides. But does not have the power of either of my other 2 TS250's  idles at time and others rev's up on it's own. Carb idle screw is ineffective as is the air fuel screw.

This a weird problem for sure,even a motor that has a air leak responds to the idle screw..only thing that seems logical is a intake restriction,can you check for a blocked air filter,maybe a mouse or squirrel nest in the air box.

Does your needle make the clunk when you let go of the throttle and or is there enough slop in your throttle for the needle to close all the way?  Loosen it a bunch if no slap present.