exhaust comparison drz400S

i got an 2001 drz400S with a yosi slip on with the stock header 

is there really any gain in power vs what i have now for an stock setup ?

i personally like the yoshi pipes 

whats the best full system out there for the best bang for your buck ?

im planning on putting a set of cams in and a fcr 39 in the next few months so thinking about upgrading the pipe first 

you could also get an E model header its a little bit bigger

You will have to do a little work to get an -e model header to fit the stock -s pipe.  Maybe it will bolt right up to your aftermarket pipe though.

The -e model header is larger has a larger diameter than the stock -s header.  I read that most people take the stock -S muffler to a muffler shop and have the inlet expanded when mounting an -e header.  I tried to expand it myself and had no luck.  I ended up cutting off the inlet on the stock -S muffler and welding on an adaptor to fit the -e header on my -S stock muffler.

rube

7beec634-0c68-4136-a9aa-850d67b27bd9_zps

7554f298-163d-406f-9117-556d4165ab38_zps

4978d90c-b419-4499-aaf3-953692d44c37_zps

Edited by rubin

A S/H OEM 2005 RMZ 450 muffler bolted straight up to my 2001 S, the rear and pillion bracket mounts lined up perfect, literally no conflict with anything and it bolted up, the bike was fitted with an e model muffler which did not line up, anyway I made a link pipe up from the inlet pipe on the e muffler , shortened the RMZ inlet, the e pipe fitted nicely inside and I had this tigged up, bit loud but a massive increase in flow I have had to go from a 160 main to a 175, 45 pilot to a 50 because of the increased flow, mines got proper E Cams, FCR, high comp piston and a E Header.

• Like 2

All good info appreciated . My E header and pipe will be modified as needed to work on my S . Being a welder / fabricator / pipe fitter I believe I could make just about anything work . I think I read somewhere that the E muffler has 3 baffles , while the S muffler has 5 . So I'll give it my best shot to increase the exhaust flow . Until I can hide another DRZ purchase from the Mrs. ( MRD/SSW). ; )

• 10 months later...

Received my E head pipe last weekend. After my third and final visit to a muffler shop to get my S slip on expanded, it's almost perfect.

Does anyone know if the DG O series slip on for DRZ400E would fit a 2005 S with a 2002 E header or know what slip on would bolt up perfectly?

Thanks

More than likely not as the E mid pipe to frame mount is a little different than the S.  It won't be THAT far off though.  You can make it work if you make an adapter.  Lots of people have adapted E muffers / midpipes to work on S models.

• Like 1

More than likely not as the E mid pipe to frame mount is a little different than the S. It won't be THAT far off though. You can make it work if you make an adapter. Lots of people have adapted E muffers / midpipes to work on S models.

That is what I figured. I'm sure I'll have to get the E muffler and fab up a bracket for it and get that adaptor welded on to fit the E header or any other suggestions. THANKS!