Range of a 500 XC-W

Any one push the 500's to their limit as far as fuel goes? my CRF was only good for about 100 miles with the oversized tank. I really want to leave my new 500XC-W bone stock. hopping it can go the distance

On my 12 450 xcw the best I got was 50 mpg the worst was 38.

If you want to go the distance you are gonna have to change a few parameters, 

The more efficent you make you bike the farther it will go, start with a great exhaust and add a twin air full flow air filter. Remove the spark arrestors on both ends and try not to goose the throttle too much...You will see a gain on your mileage.

What yr is your 500?

If you want to go the distance you are gonna have to change a few parameters, 

The more efficent you make you bike the farther it will go, start with a great exhaust and add a twin air full flow air filter. Remove the spark arrestors on both ends and try not to goose the throttle too much...You will see a gain on your mileage.

What yr is your 500?

My bikes is an 12' I just rode its for the first time last night so Im going to the pump to fill it up and see what my first time mileage is. I can't really pull the arrestors as the are required here to ride. Already has the Twin Air Filter. Wouldn't flowing more air cause the bike to use even more fuel? Being as the more air i can flow through the motor the more the EFI wants to maintain 14:1 Air fuel ratio?

Just did a 55 mile loop on my '12 450 last weekend at TP. Out for 6 hours or so. Came back with at least 1/3 to 1/2 tank left. I'll bet you can get 100 miles out of a tank.

I have a tahoe with a 5.3ltr engine, my brother has a denali with a 6.2ltr engine, He gets better mileage than i do. He has a larger engine that breathes more air, him and i have exactly the same gearboxes with the same diff ratio. His engine makes more power thus he doesnt have to rev it all the time to get to speed like i do. Needless to say i upgraded to a Supercharged 404ci...

Its how you ride your bike, the easier it is for the engine to suck in the air, the more efficient it is and the more power you will make. Yes if you keep goosing it all day you will have terrible mileage, but if you gradually rev up and find its sweet spot then your mileage will soar.

Since you are runnin a efi, then consider buying Microlon. Get the normal C90 treatment. You will see a 20-30% increase in mileage. My tahoe use to get 400km per tank of fuel, now i am gettin 520-550km per tank after i used the race treatment. My wife has a volvo x60 range 600km per tank, after C90 treatment 750-850km depending if she drives in the city or highway. I did the race treatment to my bike and i get 1 hr of play for every ltr of fuel. Which for a dirt bike is great. I potentially have 5-6 hrs of play out of my bike. 

Let the engine breathe and take it easy on the throttle, you will be amazed what it brings to the table.

You'll be able to do a 100miles easily of average riding outta the stock tank. I get about 100 miles of HARD riding out of my Acerbis tank. I can race 3hr Harescrambles without refueling......

You'll be able to do a 100miles easily of average riding outta the stock tank. I get about 100 miles of HARD riding out of my Acerbis tank. I can race 3hr Harescrambles without refueling......

I think you're right, I rode this Saturday and half was on a flat and still got 35mpg.... not bad! :) look forward to not having to carry extra fuel

I think you're right, I rode this Saturday and half was on a flat and still got 35mpg.... not bad! :) look forward to not having to carry extra fuel

I never have carried extra fuel except when I go on my big DS rides. Compared to my old mans XRR I get about 35% better mileage then he does.....

If your really that concerned, look into the Acerbis 3.1g tank....Only bigger by half a gallon but still looks and feels like the stock tank.....

I never have carried extra fuel except when I go on my big DS rides. Compared to my old mans XRR I get about 35% better mileage then he does.....

If your really that concerned, look into the Acerbis 3.1g tank....Only bigger by half a gallon but still looks and feels like the stock tank.....

No I'm feeling good about the stock tank. I had an oversized tank on my CRF plus to 1.5L bottles of fuel in my vest. Lots of weight! will be nice not to have to

No I'm feeling good about the stock tank. I had an oversized tank on my CRF plus to 1.5L bottles of fuel in my vest. Lots of weight! will be nice not to have to

I'm getting about 65-75 out of the stock tank on my 12 500exc. Just put an acerbic on it for more range.

I'm getting about 65-75 out of the stock tank on my 12 500exc. Just put an acerbic on it for more range.

Have you done any tuning? That seems low.......

Have you done any tuning? That seems low.......

Yeah i'm running the euro map and fmf exhaust. Probably doesn't help i'm a big guy.

Since you're riding in the thin air in Colorado, I'd imagine you'd get better mileage than people riding at sea level.

A friend said he gets ~100 miles a tank out of his 14'

I did a 90 mile loop with the kids at Taylor Park on my '12. 14/52 gearing, EU map. I'm not sure what it would have got hammering it on the technical trails.

I've gotten as good as 92 miles and as low as 55 miles before the low fuel light came on. That about 2 gallons of fuel, 13' 500 w/ 13/48 gearing.

I'm getting between 100-120 miles on a 2012 500 exc with acerbis 3.1 gallon tank, EU map, wild sicass ignition plug, jd tuner, 14/48 gearing, and fmf rear canister with screen arrester depending on how I ride. When I had the stock tank, 75 miles was about it. The Acerbis tank is nice. Cheers

Edited by HumanHater

I'm getting between 100-120 miles on a 2012 500 exc with acerbis 3.1 gallon tank, EU map, wild sicass ignition plug, jd tuner, 14/48 gearing, and fmf rear canister with screen arrester depending on how I ride. When I had the stock tank, 75 miles was about it. The Acerbis tank is nice. Cheers

Not trying to hijack the thread but what do you think about the sicass plug?

The plug livened it up a little, but, unfortunately, I still find this bike this bike slow up top - it just doesn't have the pull and over rev my 09 530 had wide open in 5th and 6th gears. I also made my own FMF snap for the air boot. I have added most of the stuff listed to stop low-speed flameouts and make it faster, especially up top. The flameouts are long gone, but it still doesn't pull up there like a carburetor does.

Anyways, love the bike, great throttle response and low to mid power, handles great, no more oil consumption, but a little flat up top. I might unplug the tuner just to see how it runs and if it pulls harder up top but I doubt it will help. I think this is the nature of fuel injection - instant power but not much up top. I think a second fuel injector like a kx250f is the way to make em rev up to the moon.

I'm a desert and high-elevation guy that grew up on cr500s, Ktm 550s, and XR600s so I love and need gobs of power, but after riding my buddy's 350 exc, I've been thinking about getting one next year. Those definitely rip pull up top, but not much down low - haha - but enough. Might be fun to try a 350 for a few years. Cheers

The plug livened it up a little, but, unfortunately, I still find this bike this bike slow up top - it just doesn't have the pull and over rev my 09 530 had wide open in 5th and 6th gears. I also made my own FMF snap for the air boot. I have added most of the stuff listed to stop low-speed flameouts and make it faster, especially up top. The flameouts are long gone, but it still doesn't pull up there like a carburetor does.

Anyways, love the bike, great throttle response and low to mid power, handles great, no more oil consumption, but a little flat up top. I might unplug the tuner just to see how it runs and if it pulls harder up top but I doubt it will help. I think this is the nature of fuel injection - instant power but not much up top. I think a second fuel injector like a kx250f is the way to make em rev up to the moon.

I'm a desert and high-elevation guy that grew up on cr500s, Ktm 550s, and XR600s so I love and need gobs of power, but after riding my buddy's 350 exc, I've been thinking about getting one next year. Those definitely rip pull up top, but not much down low - haha - but enough. Might be fun to try a 350 for a few years. Cheers

Thanks, I wonder if the map that came on my 2014 Husaberg FE501 is different then the XC-W's. My bike seems to have smooth bottom end with amazing mid pull but peter's out a tad on the top. To be honest the pull is hard enough that I really don't miss the very top being a bit flat.