Getting Grips to stick

So I have one fault with my new bike. The left side grip spins really bad. I tried gas, no luck, I tried grip glue no luck. It seams like the bar isn't really meant to hold it very tight? Ideas?

ODI lock on grips.    these things work great!     i had the same problem with my oem bars on the 350. i tried glue and spray paint. and wire. the paint worked better then the glue for sure.  

In the last 10-12 years I have tried all the tricks that people have posted up about grips - paint, grip glue, gas, safety wire, air, electrical tape+gas, golf club tape, rubber cement, super glue, etc, etc.

The one thing I always go back to, and now swear by, is "goop"brand adhesive. It's available almost everywhere (hardware stores, auto parts stores) and comes in a number of different types automotive goop, household goop, etc. but it's all the same.

It does take at least 12+hrs to cure so you have to install your grips a day ahead of time. But it works awesome.

If I have to install a grip the day I want to use it, I use super glue. Just make sure and wear gloves.

I use hairspray and 3 safety wires on each grip. Works well for me.

In the last 10-12 years I have tried all the tricks that people have posted up about grips - paint, grip glue, gas, safety wire, air, electrical tape+gas, golf club tape, rubber cement, super glue, etc, etc.

The one thing I always go back to, and now swear by, is "goop"brand adhesive. It's available almost everywhere (hardware stores, auto parts stores) and comes in a number of different types automotive goop, household goop, etc. but it's all the same.

It does take at least 12+hrs to cure so you have to install your grips a day ahead of time. But it works awesome.

If I have to install a grip the day I want to use it, I use super glue. Just make sure and wear gloves.

I'll try that! I'm not a huge fan if the safety wire. Always end up catching it! Lol

Thanks!

Never had an issue with grip glue (scott or renthal) and safety wire. The safety wire will not catch your gloves or hands if it is installed correctly.

Never had an issue with grip glue (scott or renthal) and safety wire. The safety wire will not catch your gloves or hands if it is installed correctly.

I have the rental grip glue on there now and it sticking but not holding if that makes sense. The bar is just too smooth. I think I may Neural it.

Your mostly right in the safety wire but I think it just cheapens the look. I'm getting of my CRF/safety wire bike and on to a KTM for the first time and it would burn to have to use safety wire in anything other than its real intended use.

I have the rental grip glue on there now and it sticking but not holding if that makes sense. The bar is just too smooth. I think I may Neural it.

Your mostly right in the safety wire but I think it just cheapens the look. I'm getting of my CRF/safety wire bike and on to a KTM for the first time and it would burn to have to use safety wire in anything other than its real intended use.

You might want to hit the bar with sandpaper (high grit count) if you don't want to go the safety wire route. I really haven't been bothered by the look of of safety wires on grips....not like I actually see the wire when my hands are on the bars..

Many of the old grip stick tricks don't work on the new material they build grips out of.

So I have one fault with my new bike. The left side grip spins really bad. I tried gas, no luck, I tried grip glue no luck. It seams like the bar isn't really meant to hold it very tight? Ideas?

Pro Taper grip glue works the best for me. I've also used hair spray without any issues, so maybe I don't grip as tight as some people.

3M spray adhesive always does the trick, and I use safety wire. Safety wire is the way to go and when done right, will give function and a bit of that "factory" look, done wrong and it will look cheap and not have any added benefit.

You beat me to it goop, shoe goop automotive goop all the same crap but it works

Grip never come loose and you won't need to wire ever.

I have used it for the last 10 years and recommend it to everyone.

Very few try it for some reason( guess they like to wire their grips), but those who do will never use anything else.

You beat me to it goop, shoe goop automotive goop all the same crap but it works

Grip never come loose and you won't need to wire ever.

I have used it for the last 10 years and recommend it to everyone.

Very few try it for some reason( guess they like to wire their grips), but those who do will never use anything else.

Never have tried it...Sounds like a good deal, considering that companies that sell grip glue think that the stuff is made out of gold. The thing that I like a lot about safety wire, on the other hand is that I can safety wire grips and ride a lot quicker than waiting for glue to dry. I think it actually takes more time to fit the grips on the bar than to actually go through the process of safety wiring the grips themselves.

on stock renthal bars iv never had a problem with scott grip glue on my last 3 bikes. but I also ride with a loose grip on the bars and hold on with my knees a lot.

once the grip starts to spin, thats pretty much it IMO. once a grip starts to spin, its because the rubber has lost its tackiness. the rubber loses its tackiness when it gets dirty and a dirty grip isnt going to glue down very well regardless of how clean your bar end is. i always start with a clean bar and a new grip.

on regular renthal soft compound grips, i use spray paint on the bar, slide it on let it dry.

on the renthal kevlar grips for whatever reason it doesn't work (must be the Kevlar mix)? i use renthal grip glue. if you follow the instructions the things are not coming off with out the use of razors/tools. you need a liberal amount of grip glue. super glue gel probably works fine, as the grip glue smells just like it...

i dont like to use safety wire

Edited by mynewcr250

Never have tried it...Sounds like a good deal, considering that companies that sell grip glue think that the stuff is made out of gold. The thing that I like a lot about safety wire, on the other hand is that I can safety wire grips and ride a lot quicker than waiting for glue to dry. I think it actually takes more time to fit the grips on the bar than to actually go through the process of safety wiring the grips themselves.

I have ridden 20 min after installing grips with goop and they never budget a bit.

Try it you will never use anything else.

Great for fixing small rips in seat covers also.