Sign in to follow this  

might jump ship from xr400 to 200 or 300 smoker

First I want to say I love my XR, it is not at all stock and runs perfect. I am 42 yrs old and 5'9" on a good day and 185 lbs without gear. I do not get to ride much. So far this season I only did Durtty Dabbers and the Hancock ny weekend. I do not know how to classify my riding level (a,b,c). I will say after only one and a half days of Hancock, my local Dabbers ride seems pretty easy. I will say I am not a fast rider (you KTM dudes just fly past me). I have never considered making the jump till I rode Hancock. That was the best riding I have ever done, but I was &%$#@!ing tired. My bike weighs 275 loaded without mud(just a guess). I want to try a 200 or even the 300 2 stroke. I want to know how that 50 plus pounds of weight saving feels. Any advice on witch 200/300, I do not know what all the exc,xc,xcw means as far as a great Pa/Ny woods bike would be.( I want E-start for sure) I love the low end grunt of my 400 so for this reason I do not know if I would like 2 stroke power. But saving 50 lbs. maybe I could adapt. So I look forward to the comments and hopfully great suggestions. Thanks

Nick

Even the 200 will have way more power than your XR everywhere except way down low.  The 300 will be way way way more power everywhere except the bottom and then it will be pretty even but the 300 will be much quicker to rev than your xr and it will weigh 50 lbs less.  Plus the suspension is going to be far better even though the XR is pretty plush and good if you have had it worked on.  I acutally raced XR's back in the late 90's  and 2000 and 2001.  I had a 440 and a 280 that were built as far as you could build one, had Ohlin's suspension and XR's Only built my engines so I know XR's.  But the KTM's will be much much better in almost any off road situation.  They are just that good.  I personally like the 300 for my height at 6'1".  Weight really doesn't matter.  Either of the bikes can be tuned to your taste with jetting and the powervlave adjustments.  You would want in my opinion an EXC or XCW.  EXC is older models and XCW is newer models.  XCW's from 2008 on are really what I would suggest becasue they had major frame and suspension upgrades plus e-start came in 2008 on the XCW 250/300.  200 got e start in 2013. 

• Like 1

I recently moved from a yz250f to the 200 and I love it, but in your case I'd recommend the 300.

It took me 2 months of regular riding to really grasp the difference in riding trails on the 2 stroke over the 4 stroke. Previously I had 10 years and over 600 hours on the 4 strokes. Those 3 months were frustrating while I struggled with obstacles and terrain that I would have easily handled on the 250f. I wanted the weight and nimbleness of the 200 so I buckled down, ate my pride and fumbled around until I figured it out. Now, I LOVE it!

I get the sense you want to lose some weight off the bike and perhaps try a 2 stroke. Well, you could get a 250f mx bike from any maker and lose 75lbs while retaining the type if power you're familiar with on the xr albeit a little more powerful and abrupt. If you want to dabble in 2 strokes without the huge learning curve the 300 has amazing smooth power deliver. It doesn't have the same unsettling hit that the 250 has and the 200 will take a lot longer to adjust to. It sounds to me you'd like to just jump on a new, lighter, more modern bike and ride. For that reason I'd look at the 300. You probably should be shopping in the XC-W line unless you think you'll spend a good bit of time in MX type conditions.

Hope that helps.

I would go with the 300 KTM which is what I ride.  For more aggressive riding get the XC race model, the XC-W is more for trail pace and hardcore enduro riding. 

My father had a DRZ 400 and an XR600R.. both were tanks that could plow through anything, but didn't handle for anything.  You will be amazed at how smooth, plush, adjustable and nimble the 300 is compared to the XRs.  I'll make a bet that you'll never go back!!

I did make a switch a few years ago from XR400 to a DRZ400E. It was a great bike but I did  not care for the lack of low end. I read a lot of people saying the DRZ is the new XR and love the DRZ's low end. I did not get the low end I thought. I guess people never rode an XR. Well I  went back to an XR. I love the low end tractor feel. Could someone explain the power valve and mapping thing. I am getting some sort of change in how power is delivered, but can this be explained in more detail? Nice info so far. Thanks

On a 2-stroke ktm you can adjust where in the rpm range the power valve opens. This allows one to adjust the engines delivery to their style of riding. If you like riding "on the pipe" you want the power valve to open earlier or lower in the rpm range. If you like lugging the engine and tractoring and prefer a slower, smoother transition to the pipe higher in the RPM range, you want it to open later. This is adjustable through easily changing to three different strength springs, and a screw for fine adjustment.

Mapping refers to changing the ignition curve electronically. Similar to a rudimentary tuner or programmer for a car or truck, only instead of having the device added to the dash, it has two different curves programmed in (one for more aggressive, abrupt power delivery, one less so) and you can toggle between the two. Essentially it slightly changes where in the combustion cycle the spark occurs, thereby advancing or retarding the ignition to adjust how the power is delivered.

Edited by Supr Sloguy

Last year I rode a 100+ mile enduro that I found pretty fun and challenging. I was exhausted though on my DRZ400S. Since then I have picked up an older 250 to get the feel for a lighter bike. It helps with the endurance thing, but I also just need more practice riding. I still have the DRZ, but I'm planning to put it up for sale this weekend. Great bike, but too heavy for the way I am riding now. I rode some 300's I think you should try one.

Edited by stanmerrell

I would suggest KEEPING the XR400 if you buy a 200/300.  

The XR400 is in VERY high demand, being such a bullet proof bike.  It has depreciated all that its going to.  

Whether you sell it now or later, will likely fetch the same $$$$.  That way you can ensure that the 2 smoker is right for you.

I am trying to find an XR to compliment my '12 300XC .... the XR400 and the 85 XR350's are legendary  :thumbsup:

Edited by supervokes
  • Like 3

IMHO I personally would recommend that you go with a 200XC-w.  After one ride your XR will only be gathering dust...

If you rode "a lot more" then the 300XC-w might be a better choice as it has the low end power of your XR, and a whole lot more power beyond that.  But you don't sound like you will have the time to learn how to ride a new type of bike, and that's where the 200 slots right in.  It has more power than your XR400, it is 50 pounds lighter and the '13 200XC-w comes with "the button", which sounds like the exact bike you are looking for.

Buy the 200XC-w if your riding for fun, the 300XC-w if your a power junkie that likes to race, or the 250XC-w if you like to rev but still like to work the bottom end of the powerband.  The XC's are for motocrossers that like to race off road and the SX models are pure motocrossers.

FYI:  The new XC-w's have a head light / tail light, electric starting, bigger gas tanks and a softer "single track" suspension setting (like your XR), and the low maintenance no-link rear suspension.

I rode my 2000 XR400 for 13 years, bought it new. It has morphed over the years into a Super XR. But last year I decided its weight is becoming a negative factor for my 56 year old 155 lb frame. I'd been reading about the 4 stroke-like luggability of the KTM300 and its tunability.

In 2012 during a particular technical outting with friends on 300s to Sargents Colorado, the XR kicked my but on those trails, even tho I'd had it on them before, years ago. My friends offered to swap bikes for a while. GEEZ! I thought. No wonder they're outriding me like I'm some kind of squid. I put a deposit down on a new 2013 300xcw when we got home from that trip. I've been on it 7 months now and the XR hasn't been out once in that time.

This bike is going to allow me to continue riding the kind of terrain I've always enjoyed doing with the XR. Take the time to learn how to tune the 300 for the way you want it to run and handle and don't look back.

Step #1 when tuning a 300 ~ fix the jetting, stock the bottom end is VERY rich.  I installed a JD jet kit and was amazed at how much better my '12 300XC-w ran.  The JD kits are so easy to install and there is no tuning magic, just read over the instructions one time before you install it, decide on what your setup should be then verify it again as you do the install.  If you really use the bottom end you will be amazed.

• Like 1

my 300 is 225ibs, my rm250 is 210ibs. I can tell a huge difference in the weight, even more when I have to pick it up. since you are use to a 400 4 banger, I would suggest the 300 for the extra torque, but the 200 will be a lot lighter, and will still be able to hull you around. the race I did last weekend, there was a huge dude, maybe 250ibs, and he was on a 200 going just fine(slower than me)

Trailryder 42, at 155lbs you might also like the ktm 200. Low weight and seat height

• Like 1

XR = Full size Chevy Suburban

KTM any 2 stroke = Camaro or Corvette

YEP......at 50+ lbs heavier, the XR would feel like a 300 with EIGHT gallons more of fuel on it since gas is appx 6.03lbs per gallon.

Joe

• Like 1

Thank you all for the suggestions. Is there anything that could be done to the 200 to get more 300 like low end torque out of her? Is there a physical size difference in the two bikes?  I know this is the KTM board, but can anyone suggest another bike that may have been overlooked that would be "less expensive". I would love to keep the XR as my dual sport and have this as a second bike plated just for the couple rides I pay to do. Thanks again.

First I want to say I love my XR, it is not at all stock and runs perfect. I am 42 yrs old and 5'9" on a good day and 185 lbs without gear. I do not get to ride much. So far this season I only did Durtty Dabbers and the Hancock ny weekend. I do not know how to classify my riding level (a,b,c). I will say after only one and a half days of Hancock, my local Dabbers ride seems pretty easy. I will say I am not a fast rider (you KTM dudes just fly past me). I have never considered making the jump till I rode Hancock. That was the best riding I have ever done, but I was &%$#@!ing tired. My bike weighs 275 loaded without mud(just a guess). I want to try a 200 or even the 300 2 stroke. I want to know how that 50 plus pounds of weight saving feels. Any advice on witch 200/300, I do not know what all the exc,xc,xcw means as far as a great Pa/Ny woods bike would be.( I want E-start for sure) I love the low end grunt of my 400 so for this reason I do not know if I would like 2 stroke power. But saving 50 lbs. maybe I could adapt. So I look forward to the comments and hopfully great suggestions. Thanks

Nickx

The 200 is the way to go for tight knarly single track it is so light & feels lighter! ,handles excellent, it will not tire you out like a larger bike will. The 300 is the way to go if things open up a little since it is a better all round bike.

Too bad you can try the 200 & 300 to see for your self

Edited by scottiesbe
  • Like 1

Thank you all for the suggestions. Is there anything that could be done to the 200 to get more 300 like low end torque out of her? Is there a physical size difference in the two bikes?  I know this is the KTM board, but can anyone suggest another bike that may have been overlooked that would be "less expensive". I would love to keep the XR as my dual sport and have this as a second bike plated just for the couple rides I pay to do. Thanks again.

A "less expensive" option would be to find a clean KDX-200 (not the 220 or 250!) install a new pipe and silencer (FMF) and give that a try.  While the KDX can't hold a candle to a KTM-200, it is a less expensive option that will prove that a 200 will "get you there and back" better - faster - easier than your XR ever dreamed about.  They also have an extensive aftermarket because the KDX really only changed twice in the last 15 or 20 years.  So pick up a '95 or newer and see what you think, just know that a KTM-200 would destroy it in a race.

KDX-200  http://www.dirtbikemagazine.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=4B35F3B5FBEB45D79F6C9E17584AD07D