Sign in to follow this  

Oil tank bolt leak on bottom

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377954901.286149.jpg I woke up to this this morning all oil drained out slowly but steadily. Very pissed person right now this oil tank has givin me more problems then anything. I'm defiantly getting the removal kit. Any ideas what could of happened there was a bolt that was holding that drain bolt piece on that was missing so I replaced it but still no luck.

Pull it off, drill and tap it out one metric size higher. Use some gasket material on the end of the bolt (try this first might work) and then never, ever touch this bolt again. Warm the engine and let the oil drain from the main engine plug from then on..... It just takes a little longer to do.

I had issues with the top bolt on the tank. I feel your pain.

Regards,

Bill

Pull it off, drill and tap it out one metric size higher. Use some gasket material on the end of the bolt (try this first might work) and then never, ever touch this bolt again. Warm the engine and let the oil drain from the main engine plug from then on..... It just takes a little longer to do.

Regards,

Bill

yep the top of mine is trashed too it fell out one ride just striped right out. Anyone know of where the best place is to get a oil tank removal kit? I know you have to change oil more often and stuff but it will be worth it IMO

Exact thing happened to me a tad too tight and slightly crumpled and started to leak exactly like yours. I replaced the oil tank off a used parts bike and then I was afraid to torque it down...so then the bolt came off while I was riding. Sucks.

Regards,

Bill

So what your are saying is to only drain the oil from the main engine drain bolt.  Won't there still be dirty oil in the oil tank each time or will it drain the oil tank also? Just trying to understand. Thanks. 

Yes.. warm it up before changing the oil. 99% of it will seep out. Yes.. the oil tank will drain out through the main drain opening in the crank case. You just have to let it drip out a little longer than usual. Use a little patience. You can measure the amount that gets drained if you think that is nessessary but I bet it will be really close to what you put in it. If you are changing the oil as you should be you should not have to worry about any oil build up or sludge.

Regards,

BillD

Edited by debargew

If I weld the top part of tank will it still drain correctly?

It will.. ever turn a water bottle upside down?.. got to let the air get inside to displace the oil. the more fluid the oil (warmer).. the easier the process.

It's a gravity thing here.. On the reservoir tank there obviously is an upper tank bolt and a lower tank bolt (which I think is your issue here). It does not matter if they are both sealed. Just let the oil warm up before draining it. There is a screen inside the reservoir on the bottom opening but if the motor is warmed up.. oil will still drain out of the crankcase main crank case oil plug.

Get the oil nice and warm.. let it drain out the crank case plug... then go have a smoke, drink a beer, yak with the neighbors... give it about 15 minutes to drain.. it will be fine..

I prefer to keep the reservoir on.. I think (my opinion) that it helps keep the oil a little cooler.

Regards,

BillD