Sign in to follow this  

Tips for a noobie

Just bought my first crf450r the 02 model. Anything I should know about special maintenance besides that it requires pretty frequent oil changes?? Also what kind of mods do y'all prefer I'm getting into trail riding and maybe some drag racing...

Just bought my first crf450r the 02 model. Anything I should know about special maintenance besides that it requires pretty frequent oil changes?? Also what kind of mods do y'all prefer I'm getting into trail riding and maybe some drag racing...

The CRF450R is not the best bike for trail riding.. tons of torque, quick throttle response, the bike will bog if you're not careful at very slow speeds on trails. The first thing you need to do is buy or download the Owners Manual for the 02 CRF450R and read it very carefully. The 450R's do require a lot of maintenance for optimal performance and reliability such as routine engine/transmission oil changes, oil filter, checking the valves, lubing all the wheel/suspension bearings, fork oil, air filter, etc. Do you know how many hours was on the top end when you bought it.? If you stay against the rev limiter the piston should be changed every 25/30 hrs.. I've heard of some 450R guys bumping 50/100 hrs on the piston if you stay off the rev limiter on the trails, but some will debate this. 

With respect to which mods you should do, that depends on how much money you want to spend. Mod's are not cheap on 450R's. The first thing I would suggest is to have the ECU re-mapped by Eddie Sisneros ($50.00) and get a good MRD pipe (approximately $450/$500). The ECU remap and MRD pipe will breath life back into the bike.     

Lot's of mod's available for the CRF450R's. 

Ride safe.

JL

450R Piston.jpg

0811132111-1.jpg

Frame and Eng.jpg

The first thing I would suggest is to have the ECU re-mapped by Eddie Sisneros ($50.00) and get a good MRD pipe (approximately $450/$500). The ECU remap and MRD pipe will breath life back into the bike.     

Could you please tell us a little more about what a remap does for the 02-08 450? Thanks

Could you please tell us a little more about what a remap does for the 02-08 450? Thanks

The ECU will adjust the air/fuel flow which will allow the bike to continue pulling (making power) over 8500 rpm's.. the CRF450R's are notorious for signing-off after 8500 rpm's. They will continue to make lot's of noise, but will sign-off and stop pulling. Eddie can re-map the ECU so it will not sign-off early, and will pull all the way to the rev limiter, and run much better throughout the rpm range. Having the ECU remapped will be the best $50.00 you ever spent on that bike. The MRD pipe will be the 2nd best thing you can do which goes well with having the ECU remapped. Great and affordable combo.

JL 

The ECU will adjust the air/fuel flow which will allow the bike to continue pulling (making power) over 8500 rpm's.. the CRF450R's are notorious for signing-off after 8500 rpm's. They will continue to make lot's of noise, but will sign-off and stop pulling. Eddie can re-map the ECU so it will not sign-off early, and will pull all the way to the rev limiter, and run much better throughout the rpm range. Having the ECU remapped will be the best $50.00 you ever spent on that bike. The MRD pipe will be the 2nd best thing you can do which goes well with having the ECU remapped. Great and affordable combo.

JL 

But the 02-08 has a carb. Am I missing something here?

But the 02-08 has a carb. Am I missing something here?

Starvin Martin, 

I forgot about the 02 - 08's not being fuel injected.. I have an 09 CRF450R which was the first year for EFI. There are other CRF450R guys on this forum that can speak to the older 450R's with carbs versus EFI. I'm not sure if the older bikes can be remapped like the 09-13's.. However, I know you can re-jet the carb which will help, but nothing like having the ECU re-mapped on the 09's fwd. Also, you can do a search for Eddie Sisneros with the search block, there are lot's of threads for remapping the ECU's.. just not sure if the same applies to the older 450R's.  

Sorry for the confusion.

JL 

I have a 04 450r and for trail riding I was heavily advised by my dealership to run a full litre of tranny side fluid, I guess for short jaunts on a track the advertised amount of just over a half litre is fine

I use Belray Gear Saver 80w on tranny side

And

Belray Thumper Racing synthetic ester blend 10w-40 on motor side

I change the oils every 5 hours

And check the air filter after every ride

I check the valves every 10-15 hours and they haven't needed adjusting since I got it appx. 45 hours on new head

Also I've been told by many owners these bikes shouldn't be left idling for to long as they get hot quick

The CRF450R is not the best bike for trail riding.. tons of torque, quick throttle response, the bike will bog if you're not careful at very slow speeds on trails. The first thing you need to do is buy or download the Owners Manual for the 02 CRF450R and read it very carefully. The 450R's do require a lot of maintenance for optimal performance and reliability such as routine engine/transmission oil changes, oil filter, checking the valves, lubing all the wheel/suspension bearings, fork oil, air filter, etc. Do you know how many hours was on the top end when you bought it.? If you stay against the rev limiter the piston should be changed every 25/30 hrs.. I've heard of some 450R guys bumping 50/100 hrs on the piston if you stay off the rev limiter on the trails, but some will debate this.

With respect to which mods you should do, that depends on how much money you want to spend. Mod's are not cheap on 450R's. The first thing I would suggest is to have the ECU re-mapped by Eddie Sisneros ($50.00) and get a good MRD pipe (approximately $450/$500). The ECU remap and MRD pipe will breath life back into the bike.

Lot's of mod's available for the CRF450R's.

Ride safe.

JL

Noob#2 here I just sent out my head to be redone and converted to steel valves im gonna g ahead and do the piston since I'm in there do you recommend that weisco piston or should I just get a factory honda one I only trail ride maybe once a month but I also like the idea idea of a slightly built bike

Noob#2 here I just sent out my head to be redone and converted to steel valves im gonna g ahead and do the piston since I'm in there do you recommend that weisco piston or should I just get a factory honda one I only trail ride maybe once a month but I also like the idea idea of a slightly built bike

You're doing the right thing with a new piston since you already have the head off. The stock 12:1 OEM piston is fine for mx or the trails. I just wanted to try the 13:1 wiseco piston since I was rebuilding my top end as well. Just had my head refurbed by Eddie Sisneros, he installed all new valves and ported the head. You may want to consider replacing the cam chain since you have the engine partly dissembled, it's only about $40.00 for a new OEM chain. Will provide great peace of mind knowing you have a new cam chain in there with the new valves and piston. Cheap insurance, and you already have the engine torn down to do the job. 

My 09 450R Mods and rebuild sheet:

ECU remap

MRD pipe

Stage 1 hotcam

Wiseco 13:1 forged piston

Hinson BTL clutch kit

13/49 gearing w/DID Gold chain

Factory Connection suspension, 48mm springs, re-valved forks, steering damper, and shock,

Factory Connection shock link (lowers the rear end by 10mm's, less than 1/2 inch) 

Boyesen Hi Flow Cooler

All new wheel bearings, new front and rear axles, new swing arm bearings, new shock arm bearings, new steering stem bearings/races

All new OEM plastic 

New Dunlop MX51 front/rear tires, tubes, flaps, trued the spokes/rims, static balanced both.. 

New fuel injector

New fuel pump/tank filter

All new fuel lines

All new water lines

JL

Maintenance is very important on these bikes. Do not forgot the maintenance of your suspension as some people just focus on the engine and gearbox and forget about the suspension. Also if you want to do trails make sure the suspension is setup for it. Handguards and bashplate are good for trails. Also a rekluse auto-clutch or a flywheel weight work well for trails. I hope you enjoy your bike.

What's the going rate for these auto clutches I searched a lil bit but didn't turn up much

The full core EXP which includes the clutch basket and everything goes for about $ 900. The EXP which is just the plates, springs and the auto-mechanism is about $ 400. Quite expensive but I hear they are worth it.

The full core EXP which includes the clutch basket and everything goes for about $ 900. The EXP which is just the plates, springs and the auto-mechanism is about $ 400. Quite expensive but I hear they are worth it.

Wow, what the difference between the core exp and the z start clutches

Honestly I do not know what the difference is between them. I got a quote and the Z-start is more expensive than the EXP but is less expensive than the Core EXP. The guy from rekluse told me the normal EXP is for social riders and the Z-start is for racing multi day events. I just think the core EXP is a newer version than the Z-start. Ask around on the forum there are guys who know rekluse clutches much better than I do.