300 Estart battery question!

I replaced my stock battery with the Shorai lithium cell.  It was turning the estarter well, but the estarter needs to be rebuilt so I'm waiting for a rebuild kit before I use the estarter.

In the mean time I installed a Trailtech Vector computer, the stock odometer died on me.  After connecting the Trailtech to the battery for power, and grounding the negative charge to the frame, the battery does not turn over the estarter.. it just makes a clicking sound like it's trying to turn but can't do it anymore.

Is it possible the computer I installed is sucking some juice from the battery, and now it can't turn the estarter since it's corroded and needs rebuilding??  Or is there some other electric thing going on that is causing the problem??  I'm like my late father in law.. "Me and electricity don't get along," why else is our hair so.. curly.

Disconnect the TT and see if it makes a difference in how the starter acts.

Be sure that any connections associated with the Trailtech Vapor unit are NOT subject to accumulation of WATER if you wash your bike after riding.

Often the connection that goes between the radiators (that you splice in for temperature readings) can accumulate water inside and "short out" the battery ... hence draining it.   I used a lot of silicone, electrical tape,  and tie wraps to keep water AWAY from any sort of electrical connections.  If this is indeed the issue ... you should. see the power of your batter\y slowly loosing juice on the Vapor screen ... its a gradual thing that will happen over the course of a few days.

Good luck  :thumbsup:

Edited by supervokes

Be sure that any connections associated with the Trailtech Vapor unit are NOT subject to accumulation of WATER if you wash your bike after riding.

Often the connection that goes between the radiators (that you splice in for temperature readings) can accumulate water inside and "short out" the battery ... hence draining it.   I used a lot of silicone, electrical tape,  and tie wraps to keep water AWAY from any sort of electrical connections.  If this is indeed the issue ... you should. see the power of your batter\y slowly loosing juice on the Vapor screen ... its a gradual thing that will happen over the course of a few days.

Good luck  :thumbsup:

As TrailRyder42 said I disconnected the computer, same thing happened with the clicking sound.  Whatever.  I know a mechanic who does great work out of his garage, when the rebuild kit comes in I'll just hand it over to him.  He only charges $30.00 for a half hour of work to rebuild the estarter, he'll fix the battery prob at the same time. 

Some say to charge a new battery before using it. Charge lithium at lowest setting (2 amp). Good luck!