DR-Z 250 throttle cable question

Hello,

I have a '06 dr-z250. I bought the bike in Oregon, and as it turns out, must have been a California bike. I had some problems with the "California carb", and ended up replacing it with a new oem E-28 carb. However, the throttle cable now has too much slack, especially on the return side. I can't find a new oem cable on line. 

Did Suzuki have two different cables for the bikes, one for the E-33 "california" issue, and one for the E-28 carb ?? I need to shorten up cable by about 3/8 " for the existing cable to work. 

I like the bike, but this is the last time that I buy a bike that takes parts are not in the system anymore..

Rowingman

CdA, ID

Interested in this topic as well.  Does anyone have a complete list of parts

required to swap the BSR32 carb for the TM28?  The jetting is dialed in

on my bike's ('01 CA DRZ250) CV carb  but it lacks response when the

throttle is cracked open.  I'm hoping the pumper carb would give more of a hit.

Hope that GlennF has a chance to read this. he's GREAT with tuning the drz250 CV carbs. Did you shim the slide needle at all?

Hope that GlennF has a chance to read this. he's GREAT with tuning the drz250 CV carbs. Did you shim the slide needle at all?

I've changed the pilot and main jets, and shimmed the needle - night and day difference and jetting seems spot on.

The bike is very rideable but not quite as snappy as I'd like and it's hard to get the front wheel up.  Perhaps I'm too

used to my previous '06 KTM 400.  I'm interested in trying a TM28 like rowingman, as the pumper carb should be more

responsive.

Paul

my stock not even rejetted 03 drz250 pulled wheelies for me decently easy. hmm.

also, I moved up to a drz400 as the drz250 was going to cost more to make peppy then to get a drz400. I sold my 03 250 for 1300, (it had under 400 miles) and I got my 01 400 tricked out for 1k ready to ride.

Edited by Joel Tilford

Hello,

I have a '06 dr-z250. I bought the bike in Oregon, and as it turns out, must have been a California bike. I had some problems with the "California carb", and ended up replacing it with a new oem E-28 carb. However, the throttle cable now has too much slack, especially on the return side. I can't find a new oem cable on line. 

Did Suzuki have two different cables for the bikes, one for the E-33 "california" issue, and one for the E-28 carb ?? I need to shorten up cable by about 3/8 " for the existing cable to work. 

I like the bike, but this is the last time that I buy a bike that takes parts are not in the system anymore..

Rowingman

CdA, ID

Rowingman, there's two sets of throttle cables for the Z-250. 58300-13E30 is the NON-CAL version, which has a TM28-1 flat slide pumper, 58300-13E40 is the CAL version, which takes the CV carb. Both are specific to the DR-Z250, but I use a complete 92 DR350 dirt version throttle assembly on my TM28-1. The cables are new, but don't quite fit right and needs one cable adjusted WAAAAY out. 

TBH, if you're looking for a performance increase, I'd go for the DR350 dirt TM33. IIRC, they're physically the same size, but bored internally.