IT'S LIVE! Full Review 2019 Honda CRF450L!!! Read more... ×
LovingOffroadPain

KTM 250/300 gearing--what's your preference, what terrain do you ride?

I ride a 2011 KTM 300 XC-W, comes stock with 13:48 sprockets.  My very 1st ride was disappointing because I never found a useable gear--3rd was too high usually, 2nd was too low.  I changed to running the 50 tooth rear, that fixed everything for enduro woods riding.

If I were in the desert I might run 14:48 or 14:50, that would take testing though.  I've settled on 13:50 for enduro riding, and even for west Texas desert riding because there are not high speeds like District 37 desert racing in SoCal. 

What gearing do you guys prefer?

13/49 for woods ... anything more or less seems to create "annoying gaps".  

NOTE: this is for the 6 speed tranny's  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

13/49 for woods ... anything more or less seems to create "annoying gaps".  

NOTE: this is for the 6 speed tranny's  :thumbsup:

I rode the 49 rear, and 2nd gear is too high for trekking through the gnarly rocks, and 1st is too low.  So I opted for the 50 rear and you can clutch it at a snail's pace through the creek beds and not have a problem stalling the bike. 

And after 2010 they returned to the 6 speed transmissions.. my buddies gear their bikes to use 1st through 4th as their main gears, my main gears are 2nd through 5th.  I hate having to shift past neutral for regular riding terrain.  I only want 1st gear as a granny gear for trials type stuff.

• Like 1

My 2013 30 xcw came stock with 13/50.

On the tight,rocky single track stuff,I like 13/52.

• Like 2

I am coming of a 12" TE 511 and a CRF 450R. The 13/50t stock gears on my xc-w is better than the gearing on my last two bikes combined, 13/53 on Honda, 13/51 through 15/45 on the 511. The trany spread on the xc-w I'd quite remarkable for a do all bike dirtbike. I find the 13/50 , third gear allmost perfect for dry,loose , wheel spinning long steep hill climbs. You can never have too low of a gear for the knarly ST.

• Like 1

I've got stock gearing on my 13 300 I think it's perfect for tight st.

I run 13-50. Seems to suit me well. Ride tight rooty singletrack. Plus I run an auto-clutch.

Edited by _LCW_

Last spring I switched from a 13/50 to a 14/50....Found that the taller second gear was helpful as I no longer need to shift as much on the tight stuff, not to say I'm not in third a lot.. Also I found that first gear is more usable in situations such as starting off on a steep hill. I'm also running a Rekluse.

Last spring I switched from a 13/50 to a 14/50....Found that the taller second gear was helpful as I no longer need to shift as much on the tight stuff, not to say I'm not in third a lot.. Also I found that first gear is more usable in situations such as starting off on a steep hill. I'm also running a Rekluse.

Where did your (gone) bikes go?

Where did your (gone) bikes go?

Sold em to make way for the bikes that I ride NOW - Namely 3hundos.....

I ride a 2011 KTM 300 XC-W, comes stock with 13:48 sprockets. My very 1st ride was disappointing because I never found a useable gear--3rd was too high usually, 2nd was too low. I changed to running the 50 tooth rear, that fixed everything for enduro woods riding.

If I were in the desert I might run 14:48 or 14:50, that would take testing though. I've settled on 13:50 for enduro riding, and even for west Texas desert riding because there are not high speeds like District 37 desert racing in SoCal.

What gearing do you guys prefer?

I'm running the same gearing as you on my '13 300XC 13/50 and I'm getting ready to start my local desert racing series. I've only got one full day of pre running sections of the course and found the gearing to be perfect. There are very few wide open sections and most of it is fairly tight and twisty, some technical obstacle sections and a couple miles of single track. The 13/50 setup does it all really well. Its low enough the bike will explode out of corners and with the six speed gear box the wide open sections aren't an issue. Before the top end even shows any signs of going flat you're right back in to the tighter third gear stuff. I'm going to stick with the 13/50.

• Like 3

I'm running the same gearing as you on my '13 300XC 13/50 and I'm getting ready to start my local desert racing series. I've only got one full day of pre running sections of the course and found the gearing to be perfect. There are very few wide open sections and most of it is fairly tight and twisty, some technical obstacle sections and a couple miles of single track. The 13/50 setup does it all really well. Its low enough the bike will explode out of corners and with the six speed gear box the wide open sections aren't an issue. Before the top end even shows any signs of going flat you're right back in to the tighter third gear stuff. I'm going to stick with the 13/50.

That's what so much of desert racing has become, tighter single track stuff.  District 37 in SoCal used to be a 500 two stroke's haven but the desert has become sooo whooped out from years of racing, and there are so many trails through the rocky mountains, that the typical race has very few spots of 6th gear WFO. 

The stock 48 sprocket sucked for me.  I dropped to 49 teeth and thought it was great, but there was ONE HILL that convinced me to go with the 50 tooth.. I was practicing for a TORO race here in TX, the course had this rocky, nasty climb with an alternate to get around it.  1st gear was way too low, and I had to clutch the hell out of 2nd gear to climb it.  Also in the tight stuff I always felt 2nd gear was too high.  The 50 tooth sprocket fixed everything. 

• Like 1

I ride a 2011 KTM 300 XC-W, comes stock with 13:48 sprockets.  My very 1st ride was disappointing because I never found a useable gear--3rd was too high usually, 2nd was too low.  I changed to running the 50 tooth rear, that fixed everything for enduro woods riding.

If I were in the desert I might run 14:48 or 14:50, that would take testing though.  I've settled on 13:50 for enduro riding, and even for west Texas desert riding because there are not high speeds like District 37 desert racing in SoCal. 

What gearing do you guys prefer?

12 -52 on my 300 XCW. I run 3 rd all day long even slow technical single track.with auto clutch

• Like 1

13/51 for me riding in the tight n twisty, snot covered roots and rocks here in the Pacific Northwest. Normally running 2nd & 3rd gear if I go above that I'm on the bunny trails or fire roads looking to connect trails. This set up works great for me and what I ride, I'm also running a Rekluse on a 2002 MXC 300.

Edited by Rider 41

That's what so much of desert racing has become, tighter single track stuff.  District 37 in SoCal used to be a 500 two stroke's haven but the desert has become sooo whooped out from years of racing, and there are so many trails through the rocky mountains, that the typical race has very few spots of 6th gear WFO. 

The stock 48 sprocket sucked for me.  I dropped to 49 teeth and thought it was great, but there was ONE HILL that convinced me to go with the 50 tooth.. I was practicing for a TORO race here in TX, the course had this rocky, nasty climb with an alternate to get around it.  1st gear was way too low, and I had to clutch the hell out of 2nd gear to climb it.  Also in the tight stuff I always felt 2nd gear was too high.  The 50 tooth sprocket fixed everything.

When you say 'clutch a gear, do you mean pull I the clutch & engage virtual neutral?

I rode the 49 rear, and 2nd gear is too high for trekking through the gnarly rocks, and 1st is too low. So I opted for the 50 rear and you can clutch it at a snail's pace through the creek beds and not have a problem stalling the bike.

And after 2010 they returned to the 6 speed transmissions.. my buddies gear their bikes to use 1st through 4th as their main gears, my main gears are 2nd through 5th. I hate having to shift past neutral for regular riding terrain. I only want 1st gear as a granny gear for trials type stuff.

The 6 speed didn't start till 2012. Gearing is less critical with them. I ran 13/52 on my older 5 speeds until I got a rekluse. With a rekluse you can run taller gearing and not notice the gaps.

• Like 1