&%$#@!ing XR650R manual ...

So I'm doing an oil change before heading to the track next weekend. I'd never been in her so I pull everything to check the oil strainers. I re-install the frame oil strainer and as I'm going to run on a road track, I drill the banjo bolt and frame downtube drain bolt for safety wire. Fine so far. Install & torque the banjo bolt, all good. Go to install the downtube bolt, checking the manual 1st for proper torque value, & run into trouble. The manual shows 29 lb-ft torque for this bolt. As I'm tightening it down I'm thinking this is not right. So I grab my lb-in wrench, set down to 180 (or 15lb-ft), and give it a twist. Pop, off comes the head of the bolt ... &%$#@!

The only plus side to this is it appears that I can back the rest of the bolt out with a punch/hammer. Ruins my Saturday 295806.gif ...

ACE

Much better than stripping the threads. Still sucks tho. I gave up on using torque specs on oil drain bolts a long time ago for the same reason. Always seemed like the torque spec was way too much. If you work on your own stuff you should be able to tell when its tight enough by hand. I've heard that the torque specs are for a 'dry' bolt. This means that an oiled bolt with the same toque spec is actually going to be much tighter. Hence why so many people strip the threads. Doesn't explain why your bolt broke tho. Hope you get the bolt out ok.

Yeah, I should have used more 'feel' ... the punch/light hammer got the rest of the bolt out.  I 'chased' the threads sacrificed an Aprilia rear brake rotor bolt for a new drain bolt.  Just got done putting her back together enough to try starting.  With a new 200W stator & fresh oil/filter, she fired right up again.  Now to check for leaks, etc. :thumbsup: ...

ACE

Glad you got it out. Broken bolts can turn into a headache. Time to ride! 

Yeah I no longer follow torque specs for the same reasons. Had my torque wrench calibrated thinking there was something not right when I started stripping threads and became an expert at installing heli coils. Was working fine apparently. Going by feeling is all I do now and never have any problems with loose nuts/bolts. Loctite is your friend except on aluminum threads.

Yeah I no longer follow torque specs for the same reasons. Had my torque wrench calibrated thinking there was something not right when I started stripping threads and became an expert at installing heli coils. Was working fine apparently. Going by feeling is all I do now and never have any problems with loose nuts/bolts. Loctite is your friend except on aluminum threads.

Exaccery,,The bikes not the space shuttle..Heads,,bores,,clutch nut,,bottom camchain nut..that's it,,no torque wrench is required for anything else..Up to pressure and a touch more,,it's tight enough..

Edited by Horri

waterboy_mama.jpeg

Torque Wrenches Are The Devil!

Just joined and saw your post. Used a foot pound wrench for inch pound spec. on a head bolt during my first top half rebuild. It was a yamaha 125 & I think it was 15 lbf.in. LOL I can laugh now. Anyway, 27 lbf.ft sounds high.

i use GERMAN torque.... Gutten Tight...

YES ive spent 20yrs turning wrenches and even for aircraft, theres nothing like using a torque wrench when you have correct specs....but with years you do get a feel for torque.

Sounds like you had about the easiest OOPSIEE you could have breaking a bolt... glad your good to go now...

SO what did you find is correct torque??? cus i know its not 29 in/lb

Never did find out what the correct torque may be for this bolt.  I think I put the replacement in at about 15lb-ft, and safety-wired this bolt to the banjo bolt in the oil-strainer.

... may have used 10lb-ft as 15 was fairly 'tight' ...

ACE

Edited by carlgustav

Most 6mm bolts in aluminum are torqued to around 10-12 INCH lbs. IIRC

Edited by jjktmrider