New DRZ owner - exhaust question

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I'm pretty new to bikes. I've bought a 2009 DRZ SM to use as a commuter bike whilst working short-term in Africa and whilst it all seems to be in good nick, but there is a load of heatwrap that has been wrapped around the exhaust and nearby hose. I've had a good dig around and there isn't anything wrong with the exhaust, but I'm a bit confused why it may have been put on (aside from protecting the nearby pipe)

Is this a common fault with the DRZ series or has the previous owner been over-cautious?

Either way it's pretty tatty so I'd like to rip it off or reapply some new stuff if necessary.

Any advice much appreciated.

Harry

IMG_1399.JPG

It would appear the previous owner was trying to protect the water hose from the exhaust.  You can replace the wrap if you like.  It is not a common modification to do.  I doubt there is any need for the heat wrap insulation.  Do you know the brand of the exhaust system?  A stock exhaust would not need any insulation.

Thanks for the quick response.

To be honest, I'm not sure if the exhaust is standard or not, there are no aftermarket logos on it, but it sounds and looks different to my mate's UK-spec DRZ SM. The bike has had a few other aftermarket parts put on it, so it wouldn't surprise me if the exhaust had been changed.

Sounds like the previous owner was just being cautious then, the temperature in Ghana varies between 30 & 35 degrees C so it's pretty warm out here!

Are you able to tell if it's a standard one from this pic?

Thanks,

Harry

IMG_1398.JPG

The muffler is not standard.  The pipe in front may or may not be standard.  Can't tell from the back.

I actually have that same stretch of "exhaust" heat-wrapped... all the way to the shock reservoir. My DG pipe sits very close to the shock reservoir and as such I figure it can't hurt to divert some of that heat away from it. It's probably not needed, but it can't hurt.

As Noble has stated, definitely an aftermarket exhaust, not a bad looking one either...

Edited by signit98

Thanks for the advice guys...I would have replied sooner but been too busy riding the bike. Why I didn't buy one sooner I will never know!

I took a couple more pics of the exhaust, would anyone care to have a guess at who it might be made by? It's not dissimilar to the FMF Powercore one, but the mounting bracket is different.

There don't appear to be any manufacturers markings, unless there are some under the exhaust wrap.

I'll grab a pic of the front pipe when i finish at work later.

Thanks,

Harry

IMG_1404.JPG

IMG_1407.JPG

Edited by Harry.O

Thanks for the advice guys...I would have replied sooner but been too busy riding the bike. Why I didn't buy one sooner I will never know!

I took a couple more pics of the exhaust, would anyone care to have a guess at who it might be made by? It's not dissimilar to the FMF Powercore one, but the mounting bracket is different.

There don't appear to be any manufacturers markings, unless there are some under the exhaust wrap.

I'll grab a pic of the front pipe when i finish at work later.

Thanks,

Harry

Wow,   that thing sticks way out there,   chop up 6-8 inches off of it,  lol

Hi chaps, I'm back again. So I carried on using the bike with the exhaust wrap in place but it was annoying me because it looked messy so I pulled it off.

The coolant pipe is actually touching the exhaust permanently (presuming the downpipe isn't standard either then!) Can anyone give an idea of the size of gap that there should be between the two?

Should I cut some off the lower end of the coolant pipe then reattach it which would give pull it away from the eggsauce giving a small ammount of room (5-10mm) or just wrap it back up again?

IMG_1444.JPG

IMG_1445.JPG

Wow,   that thing sticks way out there,   chop up 6-8 inches off of it,  lol

Tempting mate but it makes enough bloody noise already!

Thanks for the help so far everyone  :D

Harry

It is clear now why the heat wrap was on there.  Normal clearance is 25 mm between the exhaust and the water hose.

Looks like an Akrapovic exhaust

+1 Akra with logo missing from end cap. Had one on my Husqvarna 510SMR. Very high qulity stuff and LOUD!

Cheers all, I'll find some heat wrap and apply it to the pipe, hopefully the coolant pipe won't need it too so that should look a bit neater.

Russ, it certainly is loud!