engine shut off while flat out (155kmh)

Hello thumpers and thumpetes!

its my first post on the site so.... ohaiiiii !!!  (ive been shiffing the forum though for a looooong time!!!)

firtsly lets start by saying im a happy owner of a 2006 drz 400sm for a month now, and i dont regret it for a second.

the bike was bought second hand ....cough third cough.....
but it has pretty much low mileage. about 30k kilometers.

everything runs smooth with no hiccups.

only problems i had so far were:

first problem:
broke a front sprocket (nut got loose and the sprocket splines were grinded to a mirror polish XD)

it broke on a tight corner and all the oil went.....guess where??? straight on my tires!!!
the outcome? the longest drift ever recorded in history... somehow i did not meet the floor for a nap XD.

bought a new chain, a front sprocket and a rear 39T for highway fun!!! and did the locktite fix!

second problem:
my coolant overflow tank is as brittle as a flaky apple pie dough.
havent fixed it yet (appart from duct taping the hell out of it) imma do the turkey baster mod soon, and call it a day.

so now to the real sauce.

just a few minutes ago on the way to work (was a bit late) i went flat out (150kmh) for about 5 minutes and suddenly the bike turned off....

i thought "did i break my toy?" so i pulled the clutch trying to think what went wrong... i was still doing a good 120 kmh at that point so i thought what the hell ill just pop the clutch... so the bike turns back on...&%$#@! yea!!!

i twist the throttle a bit and the bike started doing hiccups...
pulled the clutch turned it off and stoped on the side of the road...
at that point i could see all the good moments i had in the past with my drz passing through my eyes, like in the movies when someone dies... i said NOPE!!!.....wont let that happen. you wont die in my hands. so i put in first gear and start the bike....vroom vroom!!!!!

happiest than ever, the bike pulled the best wheelie of all times....

went to work just in time!

so to you.... the thumpernation... what do you think went wrong?

my guess is that the bike wasnt getting enough fuel/air ?. the last owner informed me that he had an aftermarket exhaust on it but he sold it with the stock exhaust to me...so the carburator is still running with the jets for the aftermarket pipe. you think it could be that?

or is this just a common drz problem?

thanks

Nontas Sfakianakis
(or just call me nate) XD

Edited by N8NT45

Did you hit reserve?

Did you hit reserve?

no. it was full....  i filled it 15 minutes before the incident....

bike was at proper temperature as well

Does your county have any emission laws on bikes? The U.S. California model bikes come with a smog canister that if the tank is over filled can vapor lock

Does your county have any emission laws on bikes? The U.S. California model bikes come with a smog canister that if the tank is over filled can vapor lock

hmmm interesting...

does the european model have a vapor lock?

thanks for your reply. 

NO. No vapor canister. I suspect the fuel shut off valve (petcock) on the tank does not flow enough fuel for constant flat out running.  I suspect the carb ran out of fuel.

Carb been taken apart ? Float height ..? Contaminates in tank or filter? Did it seem like it ran out of gas baaaaah baaah bah bogg bogg bah bogg...?or electric cut like you held the kill switch baaah baaah booooog booooog bog die....any backfires after restart?

Carb been taken apart ? Float height ..? Contaminates in tank or filter? Did it seem like it ran out of gas baaaaah baaah bah bogg bogg bah bogg...?or electric cut like you held the kill switch baaah baaah booooog booooog bog die....any backfires after restart?

nice sound fx XD

so when i popped the clutch at 120kmh to start it up again it was working properly. then i twisted the throttle a few times it acted as if out of fuel.....

my bike never backfires btw...

carb has been jetted once for an aftermarket pipe. (curently running stock pipe, but with the jets still tuned for the aftermarket pipe)

Edited by N8NT45

Check you're fuel system maybe float stuck during this incident? Jet size wouldn't account for this either tank wasn't letting fuel go..line was clogged or pinched ..or float stopped fuel from entering carb..fuel system I'd think to start ...if u take ur carb apart take you're time have a clean place to stay organized while carbs apart and cell pictures help during reassembly

will do!!!

but not anytime soon..... im gonna keep it like this for another month and just go for the fcr39 or cvk40.....im leaning more towards the cvk40 though.
but ill keep the old one for backup.... so ill have to clean it at some point.....

thanks for the info though

Dont expect the motor to last too long , running it WFO for extended periods is asking for trouble

fuel tank vent?   added filter in the fuel hose? petcock filter? vacuum petcock vacuum hose pinched?   sounds like staved for fuel anyway.

fuel tank vent?   added filter in the fuel hose? petcock filter? vacuum petcock vacuum hose pinched?   sounds like staved for fuel anyway.

yeah....fuel starvation was the cause i think.

Edited by N8NT45

Dont expect the motor to last too long , running it WFO for extended periods is asking for trouble

well i was late for work today.... (doesnt happen very often) usually im 15 minutes early at work :ride:

and when i do open it up i dont go more than 120kmh...that 39T sprocket does wonders.... i can cruise all day long...