Sign in to follow this  

I'm looking to buy a used toy hauler....

and what I have to tow with is my wifes older sequoia which is paid for and still mechanically sound. And my daughters 98 gmc sierra 1500. The tow capacity of the yota is 6000lbs. Im not sure about the tow capacity of the gmc. So, with the toy haulers 18' to 19' is about the limit for my vehicles.Unless I get an ultra-lite, but those are more pricey. Yesterday I saw a '04 2500 suburban for sale for 10k. It's really clean but has 175k miles on it. But, it can tow 12,000lbs. I dont want a huge toy hauler, but something like 22' would do it.I'm thinking of trading in the yota on the burb. My wife needs the seating capacity for her home daycare otherwise I would get a truck. Or I might just save up 3 or $4,000 and just buy a early 90;s chevy 2500 truck and just use it for towing or hauling stuff.

I have a 21' Desert Fox, I would not consider towing it with less than a 3/4 ton. Some of the newer 1/2 tons, the Ecoboost F-150 comes to mind, have ratings of close to 10,000 lbs, maybe they would be OK, I'm not sure. One thing to keep in mind, trailers will have a tongue weight that is 10-15% of total trailer weight. With my trailer, that can be 600-900 lbs. I wouldn't wish that on most half tons.

• Like 3

And my daughters 98 gmc sierra 1500.  Im not sure about the tow capacity of the gmc.

assuming a 5.7, 4x4, with 3.73 gearing, 6500lbs is the max.

90's 2500 tow ratings are pretty low, compared to the newer models. 

they are pretty anemic on HP and Torque. 

you should get the Burb or similar, imo.

1/2 tons tow like garbage. end of story. I used to tow my 21 Desert fox with an F-150. I hated every minute of it. The only possible one would be a mini, like a rebel.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/rvs/4037963242.html

Your problem is easy to spot - FORD! ;)  Just kidding. :D

OP, a 1/2 ton isn't going to safely handle more than a small toy hauler. I have been looking for a used, small toy hauler myself. I have a 2012 1/2 ton Silverado with the MAX Trailering Pack (6.2L, 3.73 gear ratio, heavier springs, 4 wheel disk brakes) and although it tows better than my 2008 with 5.3L and trailering package did it still isn't a 3/4 or 1 ton truck capable of safely towing larger toy haulers. There really aren't a lot of 1/2 ton towable toy haulers out there no matter what the salesmen tell you. Take a close look at the tongue weights of the various trailers.

• Like 1

assuming a 5.7, 4x4, with 3.73 gearing, 6500lbs is the max.

90's 2500 tow ratings are pretty low, compared to the newer models. 

they are pretty anemic on HP and Torque. 

you should get the Burb or similar, imo.

Ya, you assumed right on the truck. But it does have the huge 14 bolt rearend. Which might up the tow capacity by 500 lbs.

Your problem is easy to spot - FORD! ;)  Just kidding. :D

OP, a 1/2 ton isn't going to safely handle more than a small toy hauler. I have been looking for a used, small toy hauler myself. I have a 2012 1/2 ton Silverado with the MAX Trailering Pack (6.2L, 3.73 gear ratio, heavier springs, 4 wheel disk brakes) and although it tows better than my 2008 with 5.3L and trailering package did it still isn't a 3/4 or 1 ton truck capable of safely towing larger toy haulers. There really aren't a lot of 1/2 ton towable toy haulers out there no matter what the salesmen tell you. Take a close look at the tongue weights of the various trailers.

Ya I agree. That was the point of my O.P :rolleyes: And If I get an older 2500 chev/ GMC with the 5.7 what did I really gain.What I don't want is more car payments. That leaves more for a nicer toy hauler! A Ford might be the way to go. Couple months ago right down the street from me there was a 96 powerstroke for 5500.00. It had 200k miles on it,but not nearly that much on the trans.Or I can find mid 96 97 and 98 gmc 2500 with a 454 in it for 3 to $4k. I know, I know the mileage. But it's not something that is gonna be driven alot. Ohhhh decisions decisions.

If I go Ford, it would be diesel. Chevy/gmc I'm cool with a gas engine. My daughters truck has 184k miles and runs like a champ. That is a solid truck. In fact, if got me to liking G.M trucks again :jawdrop: